Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 9, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #4,156 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HDAm is an option when you order the Zero from Lawrence. If you have a Zero then Lawrence will sell you the HDAM. HDAM is a discrete dual channel amplifier that takes the place of regular opamps in the Zero's DAC section. The drawbacks to it are a)price 80.00 US plus shipping b) you need to make lead extensions from the HDAM to relocate it if you want to close the stock top cover. I leave my cover off for now, forgoing the lead extensions. For some this is a non starter. For others it's a DIY project
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't worry about the cap, it's for the HDAM only. The page for that mod is on Burson Audio web site under Burson opamp 101. Heres the link

Burson discrete Opamp 101

The Burson module is the exact same module sold by Lawrence (Zero).

Peete.

Thanks peete.

Is it worth 80$?

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #4,157 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks peete.

Is it worth 80$?

IMO yes. Your ears will have to decide that ultimately though. Read the (not so) mini review of it (page locations in my sig).

Peete.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #4,158 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO yes. Your ears will have to decide that ultimately though. Read the (not so) mini review of it (page locations in my sig).

Peete.

how does the HDAM stand up when it comes to mp3's.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #4,159 of 9,388
k Im confused
-is this zero an actual headphone amp?
-im a flaming noob alright lol
what is a DAC- digital acess controller?- which does what?

is the zero both ?

I dont plan on saving up for anything else
i can stretch my budget from somehwer between 100-200 if its good enough what is the best solution to drive my hd600?

and I take it optical is just as good or better than analog for pc audio?

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #4,160 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k Im confused
-is this zero an actual headphone amp?
-im a flaming noob alright lol
what is a DAC- digital acess controller?- which does what?

is the zero both ?

I dont plan on saving up for anything else
i can stretch my budget from somehwer between 100-200 if its good enough what is the best solution to drive my hd600?

and I take it optical is just as good or better than analog for pc audio?

if theres something at bestbuy that can be reccomended i get crazy discount on sound products

It's a DAC/Headphone amp/analog preamp.

DAC meaning Digital to Analog Converter, hence DAC.

It's a versatile box.

Takes digital out from CDP, computer sound card,DVD player.. or anything that has a digital output via Toslink (optical) or coaxial (single 75 ohm RCA cable) converts it to L/R channel analog signals. The head phone amp section of the Zero is located near the 1/4 inch jack on the front and is separate from the main DAC pcb. The Zero can be set to output fixed line level (analog output) or variable output using the front panel volume control.

Look it up on eBay and read all about it.

It's SQ is quite good and it now comes standard with excellent opamps (don't ask
smily_headphones1.gif
) so just plug in your source (CDP/DVD/Computer SC) to the dig in jack on the back, plug in the phones on the font panel, adjust volume to taste...sit back and relax
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #4,161 of 9,388
Who is Lawrence that I see mentioned in all of the Zero DAC threads? Does he have a price list and/or web site that discusses his mods for the Zero DAC? An account on the electronic bay?

I've searched but am having a hard time finding the guy. A 435 page thread is a little imposing.

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #4,162 of 9,388
Lawrence is a seller on ebay, who goes by the name of "biglawhk " who most of the people in this thread have purchased this DAC from. Lawrence also has the advantage that he is fully converse with all the extras spoken about in this thread, for the Zero DAC [upgraded op-amps, HDAM, etc]. And has also been very helpful, if anyone has had any problems.

There are also other sellers of this DAC on ebay. [I purchased mine off " shenzhen Audio store "]. To have a look at all of them just put "Zero DAC" in ebays search engine, and click worldwide.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #4,164 of 9,388
Penchum, I've basically copied your setup from the first review (627s, little dot mk4, hd650s) and it sounds wonderful. Thanks for the great review.

DSET, there's a lot more to it than that. There are better amps, but if your source is poor the amp will amplify that. The best, most expensive amp out there won't make analog sound from a poorly made and unshielded onboard soundcard sound good. If that is in fact what you are using for a source, and you have a digital output, the zero would be perfect. I used the zero with my 650s for a while before I got the little dot amp and it worked fine.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #4,165 of 9,388
Have had my Zero now for 6 months or so, for most I'm very pleased with the unit, although with one exception. Sometimes the sound seems to go out of "phase"/inverted (hard to explain,,)It's not all the time and it’s not every time I notice the "problem" before I touch the volume knob and the sound goes in to "phase" again.. Anny one else who has experienced the same problem? What is the most likely error?

The problem exists in both head Amp and preamp/dac out.

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #4,166 of 9,388
Has anyone tried the AD825 on the DAC section? what is the characteristics of AD825 (without output coupling cap, blackgate)

Since AD825 is JFET, will it perform better than DY2000 in the DAC section in terms of vocal with good treble and bass extension?

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #4,167 of 9,388
sorry the post is repeated

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #4,168 of 9,388
Switched from the USB/Optical thingy to digital RCA and I can't hear any discernible difference. Not that I expected any, especially with all the changes I've brought upon myself recently and the fact that I replaced the opamp with the LT1364 just a day before.
biggrin.gif

Oh well. I'm happy.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #4,169 of 9,388
I've been in communication with Lawrence and it seems that he does not have the Alps pot anymore. Penchum do you know of any other source or if u have a spare that I can buy off you?

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #4,170 of 9,388
Hehe, I've to post my questions, too
biggrin.gif
:

I am starting with nothing, and this is a setup I've thought of:

Lossless music = Free!
+
foobar2000/ASIO = Free!
+
ESI Juli@ = 212 $ (+10 $)
+
Coaxial Cable = 20 $
+
Zero DAC = 110 $ (+50 $)
+
HDAM = 80 $ (included in Zero)
+
Alps Volume Pot = 20 $ (included in Zero)
+
Little Dot MK-V = 300 $ (+50 $)
+
Sennheiser HD-650 = 390 $ (+10 $)
=
1252 $ = 797 € --> Good quality/price ratio?

I listen to classical music (movie scores etc.), and I'll use a DAW to compose music (this is why I'll buy the Juli@).
Someone suggested me the HD600 (they are neutral), someone other the HD650 (good extension, mid, bass, treble etc., but tends to be "dark").

Do you think the HD650 could do a good job with this setup, or better the HD600?

I ask this because I've had no chance to listen to headphones like AKG, Sennheiser and so on.

Do you think, in general, that my setup could worth the money?

If you need more informations, I'll be happy to give them!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back