Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 4, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #4,096 of 9,388
Been enjoying my Zero since earlier today, I think I'm comfortable saying that my first 'proper' (as opposed to portables) amp purchase was a good one. Thanks to this thread and everyone in it for piquing me towards it.
biggrin.gif

Also, I was wondering something; this Zero I ordered was stock, and I didn't buy a pot upgrade from Lawrence. If I ordered one of those Alps pots later, would it be simple enough to install myself? It kinda looks like it just solders into the PCB without any tiny wires etc.

The pot itself, should I just order one from Lawrence again, or is there a specific type I should look out for on eBay? Sorry for the newbie questions, I've never even soldered anything in my life.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #4,097 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by P_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone notice that when they turn the volume close to 0 on the amp you can only hear the right driver. Its not only me right? If this is the case for others as well I am wondering if the right side is actually louder than the right side at higher volume levels or something.

Edit:
Yea I am positive its louder in the right ear than the left ear by adjusting the balance to the left and the right and comparing the volumes. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Don't worry.... I have the same "problem" here... =~]

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #4,098 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by P_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am definitely considering replacing the pot with an Alps. But I wish they would have done so in the first place if its a known issue, it wouldn't have added much to the cost. Since I don't think we can buy these pots one at a time we might as well do a group order from digikey for these things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry.... I have the same "problem" here... =~]

Hey guys!

Back a little ways in the thread, I posted the shots of my ALPS pot upgrade. It got rid of any imbalance I could hear with my Senns. Now, I'm sure any imbalance is easier to hear with lower impedance phones. The ALPS upgrade is easy to do, if you can unsolder the old one and solder in the new one.

Perhaps those that are not feeling confident could take their Zero and ALPS to a local shop or electronic freak friend, to have them do the swap for them at little cost. It is worth the effort IMHO. So much so, that I ordered a second ALPS and did my second Zero as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Standard pots are like a crap shoot. One over here is mostly fine, one over there is nastier and there are many variants in between. Most work fine at regular listening levels, but a few are going to stink. CLEAN THEM FIRST, to see if this improves the situation any. If not, no need to worry, just upgrade the darn thing. The ALPS Lawrence sells has the 40 count detents, which is nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #4,099 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I received my Zero DAC today from Lawrence. I ordered the alps volume upgrade and HDAM module. The volume pot was installed for me. I opened the casing to install the HDAM but when in position its too tall for the case to be put back on? there is also a wire out the side of the HDAM (white and black)? what am I supposed to do with this lol

WOW Steph86, you missed too many posts!
smily_headphones1.gif
This height issue has been there from the start. I've also made a big point of warning everyone about this issue. I guess you just missed them.
smily_headphones1.gif
Look at the recent pics and you'll see "work arounds" in progress, for this issue. I'm sure more will follow soon. Mine is on the way, so I'm going to have to work out a method of laying the HDAM on it's side too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #4,100 of 9,388
Thanks for the info Pench.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think my generic pot isn't doing too bad, there's some volume imbalance at very very low levels. My HD25-1 is really sensitive even with an impedance adapter, so I listen at just under the 9 o'clock.

Is the RK27117 the type that you guys use? It's the first thing that pops up when I type Alps into eBay search, and looks to be the right size and all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys!

Back a little ways in the thread, I posted the shots of my ALPS pot upgrade. It got rid of any imbalance I could hear with my Senns. Now, I'm sure any imbalance is easier to hear with lower impedance phones. The ALPS upgrade is easy to do, if you can unsolder the old one and solder in the new one.

Perhaps those that are not feeling confident could take their Zero and ALPS to a local shop or electronic freak friend, to have them do the swap for them at little cost. It is worth the effort IMHO. So much so, that I ordered a second ALPS and did my second Zero as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Standard pots are like a crap shoot. One over here is mostly fine, one over there is nastier and there are many variants in between. Most work fine at regular listening levels, but a few are going to stink. CLEAN THEM FIRST, to see if this improves the situation any. If not, no need to worry, just upgrade the darn thing. The ALPS Lawrence sells has the 40 count detents, which is nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #4,101 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info Pench.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think my generic pot isn't doing too bad, there's some volume imbalance at very very low levels. My HD25-1 is really sensitive even with an impedance adapter, so I listen at just under the 9 o'clock.

Is the RK27117 the type that you guys use? It's the first thing that pops up when I type Alps into eBay search, and looks to be the right size and all.

Well, the replacement I bought from Lawrence, is a 100K pot and it is very small, almost the exact same size as the standard pot. The pins on the underside were the exact same layout as the standard pot's. This one here on eBay: ALPS 100K STEREO AUDIO AMPLIFIER VOLUME CONTROL POT! - eBay (item 120246587915 end time Jul-12-08 09:01:42 PDT) looks to be the same, but I have a feeling the size of the housing will prevent it's use. When the pot is in position, there is very little room next to it, where some caps are located. The replacement from Lawrence "just fits" into this space. The square ones would never fit, I'm very certain of this.

Here are the pics of my replacement in progress: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post4226887 which will show the clearances better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #4,102 of 9,388
Thank you very much for the heads-up, and the mini-guide.
biggrin.gif
That really does look like a really tight fit. I guess if I was getting one I'd better pick up one off Lawrence. Maybe when I actually get a soldering iron.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Well, the replacement I bought from Lawrence, is a 100K pot and it is very small, almost the exact same size as the standard pot. The pins on the underside were the exact same layout as the standard pot's. This one here on eBay: ALPS 100K STEREO AUDIO AMPLIFIER VOLUME CONTROL POT! - eBay (item 120246587915 end time Jul-12-08 09:01:42 PDT) looks to be the same, but I have a feeling the size of the housing will prevent it's use. When the pot is in position, there is very little room next to it, where some caps are located. The replacement from Lawrence "just fits" into this space. The square ones would never fit, I'm very certain of this.

Here are the pics of my replacement in progress: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post4226887 which will show the clearances better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #4,103 of 9,388
Quote:

WOW Steph86, you missed too many posts!
smily_headphones1.gif
This height issue has been there from the start. I've also made a big point of warning everyone about this issue. I guess you just missed them.
smily_headphones1.gif
Look at the recent pics and you'll see "work arounds" in progress, for this issue. I'm sure more will follow soon. Mine is on the way, so I'm going to have to work out a method of laying the HDAM on it's side too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I managed to make an extension cable (without soldering) for the HDAM and have put it on its side in between the headamp and dac board. But I still don't know what to do with the black and white cable which comes out the side (not one attached to the pin) and its loose? Is it some sort of earth wire, or was it soldered to the HDAM and may have come loose in transit?

Thanks
Steph

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #4,105 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow i just looked at this thread in a long time and noticed ianp has installed a hdam in the zero dac, hows it sound? I was very tempted to do this on min a while a go but i bought another amp with the money instead. Good work!

PP has a full review of the HDAM vs OPA627BP's, just a little ways back in the thread, two parts, about two weeks apart. Very good read!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #4,106 of 9,388
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

It looks just like the Alps Blue slotted shaft version without the plastic and metal encasing. Probably good ol' Lawrence removed it for you. One can do the same with the more available unslotted version I guess...

So guys, go ahead and find the most effective, non destructive and elegant way to to "undress" the Alps RK27 (or else, ask Lawrence to share his experience with us).

Looking forward to see the first pictures of the sledgehammered pots!!!

2alps100k2.jpg

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #4,107 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pincellone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks just like the Alps Blue slotted shaft version without the plastic and metal encasing. Probably good ol' Lawrence removed it for you. Hope you didn't pay that much for the mod...

2alps100k2.jpg

Even though I haven't seen one of the blue ones with it's plastic housing removed, they don't look close at all. Look at the metal face on both and compare them. Even the little tab that has to be clipped off, isn't in the same place.

Just so you know, he was selling them for $10 at the time, so not much considering it was a "tested" pot and you could swap them without the worry about space remaining.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #4,108 of 9,388
Quote:

Even though I haven't seen one of the blue ones with it's plastic housing removed, they don't look close at all. Look at the metal face on both and compare them. Even the little tab that has to be clipped off, isn't in the same place.

Just so you know, he was selling them for $10 at the time, so not much considering it was a "tested" pot and you could swap them without the worry about space remaining.
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, but the internal size should be the same. In case someone has a 100K blue at hand, why not trying this out?

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #4,109 of 9,388
And the HDAM flood gates have opened
smily_headphones1.gif

Took a while to reach critical mass but now were cooking
smily_headphones1.gif

The black & white wire is an extra ground, no need to use it as I was told by Lawrence. I just put a little shrink rap on mine after doubling up the wire. Looks like a tail...now just to add some ears, eyes, a nose and a hat and I'm all set
smily_headphones1.gif

Please post HDAM impressions....I'm curious to read what others hear with it over regular opamps.

Peete.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #4,110 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pincellone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, but the internal size should be the same. In case someone has a 100K blue at hand, why not trying this out?

Sure, if someone has one already, it would be worth checking into (I think).
smily_headphones1.gif
The clearance bit is probably the only worry, the pins look to be in the right place.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think the housing unscrews, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back