Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 4, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #4,081 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get... which benefits a power cable brings to zero !?

DIY power cables. One of those 'vodoo' areas of improvement. To my mind it is just about using good quality components that ensure you have good connections, shielding and transmission of the AC. Here's an interesting read - Power Cord Shoot-Out: 14 Power Cords Reviewed - SH Forums

I use the Bob Crump/Asylum cord AC cables - all components bought in bulk and/or eBay - that plug into wiremold (apparently NAIM recommended) power strips, so I guess I must perceive their to be some value in them!

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #4,082 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get... which benefits a power cable brings to zero !?

I'll be damned If I can explain them D, but I will try
smily_headphones1.gif
. I just know that a good ( and I don't mean expensive) power cable makes a noticeable difference over the cheap crappy ones that come stock with most gear. Better copper, better shielding, better plugs at both ends.........seems to work. The cable recipe I use (John Risch) is the cheapest you can find that uses good quality mains cable. I think it's Belden 14 gauge, the techflex covers up the writing on the cable and I made these eons ago so I can't be 100 % sure it is Belden (I'm 75% sure
smily_headphones1.gif
). I'd like to use 10 gauge on the big power amps but haven't gotten around to it yet. Marinco plug at one end, Shurter IEC at the other.Belden cable in between ...presto good power cable for peanuts (compared to what some people spend on them, it's peanuts).

Peete.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #4,083 of 9,388
Does anyone notice that when they turn the volume close to 0 on the amp you can only hear the right driver. Its not only me right? If this is the case for others as well I am wondering if the right side is actually louder than the right side at higher volume levels or something.

Edit:
Yea I am positive its louder in the right ear than the left ear by adjusting the balance to the left and the right and comparing the volumes. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #4,084 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by P_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone notice that when they turn the volume close to 0 on the amp you can only hear the right driver. Its not only me right? If this is the case for others as well I am wondering if the right side is actually louder than the right side at higher volume levels or something.

Edit:
Yea I am positive its louder in the right ear than the left ear by adjusting the balance to the left and the right and comparing the volumes. Is anyone else experiencing this?

It's the volume pot's tracking. It's a cheap pot. Does it even out after turning it up a little past that spot ? I'll check mine in a minute.

Yes mine is louder in the right channel than left at very very low volume, but evens out quickly after turning the volume a little higher.

There shouldn't be an imbalance at normal listening levels just to clarify.

Peete.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #4,085 of 9,388
It just sounds like its harder to hear the imbalance at higher listening levels but its there when you shift the balance on some sort of media player. I have tried setting the balance all the way to the left then to the right and the left sounds lower in terms of volume than the right.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #4,086 of 9,388
Quote:

It just sounds like its harder to hear the imbalance at higher listening levels but its there when you shift the balance on some sort of media player. I have tried setting the balance all the way to the left then to the right and the left sounds lower in terms of volume than the right.

Make sure your cable ends are clean and are making good contact with the jack. Is the HP 1/4 in jack seated all the way in on the Zero ? Can you try another set of headphones to rule out cable issues with the current headphones your using ?

What is entire setup including cabling. I need that info to narrow down options.

Peete.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #4,087 of 9,388
Its not the headphones I tried the headphones directly from my laptop and its fine.
My setup is like this:
laptop -> usb to spdif -> Zero -> ath-w5000 all stock cabling
As you know the w5000s are low impedence headphones so "normal" listening levels are half way in between 9 o'clock and 6 o'clock for me and at that volume setting I can hear the left and right difference. Right now I am compensating by turning foobars volume as far down as I can put it and turning the knob on the amp as high up as I can.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #4,088 of 9,388
There are a couple of variable resistors - blue boxes with screws in middle of the below image. Anyone traced what they do and if we should measure and adjust them at all?

Thanks

DSCF0352_resize.jpg

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #4,089 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a couple of variable resistors - blue boxes with screws in middle of the below image. Anyone traced what they do and if we should measure and adjust them at all?

Thanks

DSCF0352_resize.jpg

Thats exactly what I was thinking. We would probably need to take the pcb out and measure the resistances using a multimeter and set them equal or even solder on some 1% vishays that would equal whatever the pots are set to.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #4,090 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks

DSCF0352_resize.jpg

I wouldn't touch those at all unless you want to send it back to Lawrence for recalibration or you can do it yourself without issue. Wouldn't replacing the pot with the Alps upgrade version be a better idea ?

Peete.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #4,091 of 9,388
I am definitely considering replacing the pot with an Alps. But I wish they would have done so in the first place if its a known issue, it wouldn't have added much to the cost. Since I don't think we can buy these pots one at a time we might as well do a group order from digikey for these things.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #4,092 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't touch those at all unless you want to send it back to Lawrence for recalibration or you can do it yourself without issue. Wouldn't replacing the pot with the Alps upgrade version be a better idea ?

Peete.

Just to be clear. I raised this a separate topic and not related to P_1's question.

The talk about pots reminded me to ask about these. I think anyone with a screwdriver can recalibrate them
smily_headphones1.gif
which is why I was wondering if anyone knew if we should measure and/or adjust.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #4,093 of 9,388
Ok ianp thats cool. My mistake. My apologies for the mix up ! Looks like I need some sleep rather badly
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #4,094 of 9,388
Quote:

I am definitely considering replacing the pot with an Alps. But I wish they would have done so in the first place if its a known issue, it wouldn't have added much to the cost. Since I don't think we can buy these pots one at a time we might as well do a group order from digikey for these things.

Lawrence sells singles of the pot.

Peete.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #4,095 of 9,388
Hi, I received my Zero DAC today from Lawrence. I ordered the alps volume upgrade and HDAM module. The volume pot was installed for me. I opened the casing to install the HDAM but when in position its too tall for the case to be put back on? there is also a wire out the side of the HDAM (white and black)? what am I supposed to do with this lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back