Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 2, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #4,051 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mark my word. There will be a new device to replace HDAM and its better. The wait is 2 months.

Finally I settle to DY2000 as my DAC opamp. I am so happy with it. The tube feel and laid back nature is something that suits me best.

Ok, spill it. We are all ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #4,052 of 9,388
Well the designer of Burson HDAM is disputed to be from China. He had replied something better than HDAM is coming in 2 months time.
Below the reply.

你好,我们已没有生产这样的OPA,但估计在两个月内会有两款更理想的新OPA生产
Within 2 months, a better OPA will be produced.

--------

Penchuum,

Why not u shoot out the DY2000 (metal can) and give us a review. The sound will be as smooth as silk, and its 10 times better than Ceramic. Now I like my DY2000 so much, I think dy2000 in DAC section is great for your Littledot tube amp.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #4,053 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the designer of Burson HDAM is disputed to be from China. He had replied something better than HDAM is coming in 2 months time.
Below the reply.

你好,我们已没有生产这样的OPA,但估计在两个月内会有两款更理想的新OPA生产
Within 2 months, a better OPA will be produced.

Evolutionary change is always welcome
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm glad they are continuing development of the module (in China
wink.gif
).

There are ways to tweak the current HDAM (see "Burson opamp 101" page at Burson Audio for details). I just finished that (module /cap - 1.0 uf 160V PIO) tweak 5 minutes ago and am in the process of double checking my work before power up.

Email Lawrence and ask him where Burson gets their HDAM
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #4,054 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very well done PP!! Mail my ears back to me soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

You made some very good points in Pt 2, a few of them are above. You have managed to put words to the Zero's enticement, which is very hard to do. I remember when I bought my second Zero, everyone was like, "why would you do that?" and I'd just smile. Potential is part of the magic, low cost is the other part of the magic. Whether you call this "getting in cheap" or "low cost start up", the flexibility and ease of use, make the Zero a pleasure to operate and the output is simply outstanding. With this new deal (Zero + 627's + LT1364's), top notch performance delivered too your door for $179 is just plain fantastic!

Who'd a thunk it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the positive feedback Penchum !!!!! I tried this time around to explain what I heard using a different tack, cutting back on the usual audiophile flowery commentary. Your additional points are as always informative and salient
smily_headphones1.gif

Lawrence has done a great job keeping his finger on the pulse of his customers and changing the Zero's stock package to meet those demands. What more could one ask for ?
smily_headphones1.gif
Can anyone imagine trying this approach with Pioneer or Marantz etc etc ? You'd get laughed at, and that is sad.

Peete.

PS Your ears are on the way (via Fed Ex overnight Express
smily_headphones1.gif
) Sorry about the peanut butter, they were itching like mad
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #4,055 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lawrence and I only have a buying/selling relationship. He knows I frequent HeadFi and he's aware that you guys are the ones buying from him. I pass on information sometimes and I've sent him "tough" emails when members had problems with shipping over the holidays.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you wanted to do a group buy thing with him, I'm sure he would work out a deal with you guys. Go ahead and email him about it. He's always been fair and good to us, so I'm sure if he can, he will work up something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I know that, but I think you're the closer person to him, here on head-fi =]

Well... I can talk to him also..........

So, let's start to make a list of buyers ?!?!?

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #4,057 of 9,388
The cap tweak is running without issue as we speak. This PIO cap (Russian K42Y-2) will take 200 to 250 hrs to form, so I'll reserve judgment until then.

Sounds good so far.

Peete.

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #4,058 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much, Peete!

/me decides to start bookmaking pertinent posts w/i the thread so he never_has_to_search_blindly_again

I'm turning Chinese
I think I'm turning Chinese
I really think so...

*da da da dot dot dot dah*

Oops…right continent, wrong nationality!
tongue.gif

Thanks StratCat
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats a good idea. Part I is on page 378, and Part II is on page 422.

LOL .......I am believer in the emergence of Chinese Audio technology. They've had 20 years to work the kinks out
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #4,059 of 9,388
test to see if sig works.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #4,060 of 9,388
By all means try a good after market power cable on the Zero and your amp (if you have one). I'm using John Risch DIY designs. Cheap at 35 dollars each and very effective upgrades.

Peete.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #4,061 of 9,388
Just got my w5000's, adjusted the fit, plugged everything in, and pure bliss. I have not listened to my w5000s without the Zero yet, but so far it sounds like the w5000s work well with the Zero with opa627/lme49720's

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #4,062 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just an FYI -

My Beyer DT880's (2005 - 250 Ohm) just arrived in-house today, and I'm driving them to nice levels (easily as loud as I'd care to go) with the stock Zero HP Amp. I have zero burn-in time on these new cans, so I wouldn't want to critically comment on the Zero's SQ at this time, but my initial impression, an hour in, is favorable. I am using a lot more of the pot than my Denon's or AT's, which is not unexpected, I suppose, given the much higher impedance of the Beyer's.

My demo AKG 701's will arrive tomorrow, and I'm anxious to see how the Zero handles them. I hope nicely, since I'd like to take some time to get my headphone fleet established (I'm using different cans for different genres) before I start looking into amps.

Don't forget that all those new phones will need some time on the clock, before they "sweeten" up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #4,063 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in what the procedure for fitting the HDAM module is and how easy is will be to get it all within the confines of the case. Please let us know how you get on and maybe post some pics.

Thanks

I'll be making my first attempt at an adapter tomorrow. I did a couple of trial soldering runs yesterday and it shouldn't be difficult at all. I have two extra opamp pin bases, one for each end of the adapter, so I can avoid directly soldering wires to the HDAM or directly into the Zero. I didn't want to lose the ability to one day use regular opamps if I get the urge.

If I am successful I will post what I did within a couple days along with a comparison between the HDAM w/o the adapter and the HDAM with it.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #4,064 of 9,388
One trick I did soldering wires for another device was to use wire the same internal gauge as the pins required, then simply strip away the necessary length of insulation and solder the exposed wire as it was to make pseudo pins out of the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back