Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 1, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #4,022 of 9,388
The HDAM replaces the dual opamp in the DAC analog output section and yes it's quite impressive. 20 pages or so back I wrote a mini review about it.

It's not the second coming (I doubt there was a first coming, that's another debate) but it is IMHO better SQ wise, than ANY opamp you can get for the Zero DAC section. I have OPA627BP's and have just completed an exhaustive test (Part II) of the two (HDAM/627's) in the DAC section. Should be up by tomorrow evening
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #4,023 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 That is what I "gleaned" as well. If I remember correctly, it is super easy to get bit perfect in Vista, but XP and OSX need software and plug-ins to get it done. That about right??

Bit perfect? Are you referring to ripping CDs? You don't need any special software in Mac OS X for that, just turn on Error correction in iTunes in the Import settings under Advanced. For audio playback, it's a non-issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcus1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

Just getting started in Headphones and am trying to figure out what to buy - I've narrowed my headphones to either the Denon D2000/D5000 or the audio-technica ATH-W1000 but, although I've read quite a few threads I'm still confused on what amp to buy.

I have a Little Dot MKV which I'm using with markl-modded D5000's. The result with the Zero in the path and a good optical cable has been fantastic. See my sig for the full kit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But to my problem. I don´t really know a lot about these things, so I am really unaware what sort of usb-interface/pc-link should I get, if I buy a zero amp. I have 12" apple powerbook that doesn´t have digital out at all. What do you guys suggest to use in my case with zero ?

For older Macs without the optical digital out, you'd need a USB "sound card" that has either coaxial or optical digital outputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you guys keep talking about this HDAM like its the second coming of Jesus.

Damn, this means I'm going to have to get one now. Might have to track down some 7N copper wire and do a bit of soldering too so I can close the lid afterwards.

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #4,024 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also wondering about this ebay seller, he's selling the Zero for $150 US shipped! That's a ridiculous price for such a nice desktop dac/amp. Even if it has the older opamp, it's easy enough to get free samples of some better ones

Anyone bought from wsz0304?

Got mine Monday off wsz0304 , the upgraded one. The upgraded OPA627 is only on the DAC side, mounted on a duel sided adapter [one top and one bottom]. Took 8 days to get here from HK to rural Australia. I'm very happy with it.

I took some photos of it which I posted on this page.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post4404819

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #4,025 of 9,388
Can we pin the page where peete gave review on the HDAM. Sometimes I keep coming back for the review.

Also I wonder if any guys has modded the ZERO for better smoother high/SQ (less digital effects more analog feel).

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #4,026 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by koppite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all!

Well, it just arrived! 6 Days after Lawrence sent it. I'm literally sitting here and laughing because of how awesome this sounds. UNREAL.

Couple remaining questions: I saw some discussion of this before and am still unclear. I have the PCLink USB to Optical connector. Any thoughts on the quality of this device/cables/etc? I'm going to order an optocoupler and will report back any differences. Anyone have some thoughts for now?

ANyone?

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #4,027 of 9,388
Thanks for the reply Nedman. Good to know he's legit, although it's $50 bucks to mexico.
I don't think anyones had one shipped this far south, but another question, how much import tax are being charged on these to the US? I can have it shipped there also.

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #4,028 of 9,388
I just got an email from Lawrence, telling me of a new deal he has going for HeadFi members. I was inquiring about the price of a new Zero for my second analog stack and here is what he said:

"If you have a chance, please let the forum members know my new offer.
I'll like to sell Zero at $139 together with the opamp upgrades that is 1 module OPA627AU in the analog section and 2pcs LT1364 in the headamp section."

So there you have it. A Zero with a great Opamp combo already combined!
If you have questions, email Lawrence at lawrencechanbig@msn.com

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #4,031 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So that means you don't have to do the hdam mod anymore Penchum?

Well, I'm going to do the HDAM upgrade to one of my Zero's for sure. I think the one I use for headphone amps and mini system. I just have to know the difference first hand.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've learned to trust PP's ears and if he says it sounds great, I'm a believer. I "think" my headphone amps might benefit the most from the HDAM in the Zero. It's only a theory though. It might do well in one of my analog stacks too, I'd just have to test it all out after burn-in.

My second Zero is feeding my pride and joy, the Pioneer SPEC system stack. This one also has the OPA627's and LT1364's on board, and the DAC output sounds fantastic with this system.

The third Zero would be for my Yamaha stack. I have an Entech Number Cruncher 205.2 DAC in this stack, but I did a A/B comparison between the Entech and Zero last night, and the Zero with OPA627AU's and LT1364's, really put the Entech too shame by a large margin! Now that we can get the Zero pre-configured with this same combo of Opamps, I'm sure to order one soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #4,032 of 9,388
Well **** me! I just paid 200$ for one. :/

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #4,033 of 9,388
Quote:

I just got an email from Lawrence, telling me of a new deal he has going for HeadFi members. I was inquiring about the price of a new Zero for my second analog stack and here is what he said:

"If you have a chance, please let the forum members know my new offer.
I'll like to sell Zero at $139 together with the opamp upgrades that is 1 module OPA627AU in the analog section and 2pcs LT1364 in the headamp section."

So there you have it. A Zero with a great Opamp combo already combined!
If you have questions, email Lawrence at lawrencechanbig@msn.com

Hey Penchum, I was thinking here.... could you possible talk to lawrence and convince him to make a "huge" discount on HDAM modules ? So we can grab some guys here and make a conjunt buy ?
As most of us here are Lawrence's costumers...... it would be nice from him... =]

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #4,034 of 9,388
Double post.

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #4,035 of 9,388
Quote:

Well, I'm going to do the HDAM upgrade to one of my Zero's for sure. I think the one I use for headphone amps and mini system. I just have to know the difference first hand.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've learned to trust PP's ears and if he says it sounds great, I'm a believer. I "think" my headphone amps might benefit the most from the HDAM in the Zero. It's only a theory though. It might do well in one of my analog stacks too, I'd just have to test it all out after burn-in.

My second Zero is feeding my pride and joy, the Pioneer SPEC system stack. This one also has the OPA627's and LT1364's on board, and the DAC output sounds fantastic with this system.

The third Zero would be for my Yamaha stack. I have an Entech Number Cruncher 205.2 DAC in this stack, but I did a A/B comparison between the Entech and Zero last night, and the Zero with OPA627AU's and LT1364's, really put the Entech too shame by a large margin! Now that we can get the Zero pre-configured with this same combo of Opamps, I'm sure to order one soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

You could always swap it around to each Zero as you listen to it. Trust me once you get one you won't go back. It's equally impressive no matter what's at the output of the Zero be it to a MKIII/IVSE/V or your Pioneer Spec gear.

I'm just about to post the final installment of the mini review Pench, just proof reading and such.

Should be up in 20 minutes.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back