REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jul 15, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #1,591 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is OT, but what was Voltag3's crime here on Head-fi (I mean why was he banned in the first place)?

He tortured kittens by surgically implanting SE530 in their poor lil flaps....

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #1,593 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Steve
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy to see you enjoying the W3! Which sleeve is your favourite with them? I could not use anything apart from long, medium complies or tri-flanges - everything else was sounding super harsh and sibilant to boot.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #1,594 of 2,117
Quote:

Yes, that was horrifying when he placed the two hour video of him showing how he did it...absolutely terrifying. Apparently, he is still doing it around here somewhere...

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #1,595 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Steve
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy to see you enjoying the W3! Which sleeve is your favourite with them? I could not use anything apart from long, medium complies or tri-flanges - everything else was sounding super harsh and sibilant to boot.

(cough) Yes, back on topic....

I use the large silicon. Seems with Westones my right ear just doesn't get a good seal, but with these, perfect. So glad I bought yours
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks!

Sibilance is not a problem I've had with W3 at all - lucky or deaf I spose.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #1,596 of 2,117
Alternatives also include Shure's black foams since they are compatible. Just keep in mind that the overall sound will be affected. For me that meant some EQ tweaking with the foam..

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you! I just hope somebody will me home to receive the package!

I am probably going to use the silicone (M's) aswell, because I've been told that you haven't got to push them very far into the ear, which I hate!

I've been using Klipsch X10's for nearly a year, sold them a month ago and bought the Denon C751's for $100 new, but I don't like them; the bass is so uncontrolled and while I could put the volume up high on my X10's, with the Denon's they just hurt my ear's.

So I hope W3's will be a lot better than C751's and a little bit better than X10s!

Do the W3's req. (any) burn-in time? If so, how long do you reckon?

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #1,597 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alternatives also include Shure's black foams since they are compatible. Just keep in mind that the overall sound will be affected. For me that meant some EQ tweaking with the foam..

I dislike foams for some reason (havent found out why yet lol :p).

I just received them and they are very nice! I am still testing with the tips but so far I really like them! Man in the mirror (M.J.) did WOW me
darthsmile.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #1,599 of 2,117
Quote:

(cough) Yes, back on topic....

I use the large silicon. Seems with Westones my right ear just doesn't get a good seal, but with these, perfect. So glad I bought yours
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks!

Sibilance is not a problem I've had with W3 at all - lucky or deaf I spose.

Steviebee, did you get to try the same silicone tips with the UM3X? I used the large ones with the W3's and medium with the UM3X and, like I've said a number of times, in my case all other tips were painful and just didn't sound right. Very important, though, to have a kind of shallow insertion, ie, not shiving them in all the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that was horrifying when he placed the two hour video of him showing how he did it...absolutely terrifying. Apparently, he is still doing it around here somewhere...

You can say that again. And I love the latest twist of having a new 'preferred' IEM.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #1,600 of 2,117
Hey music....re UM3X, no, sadly I only had one pr of tips that fitted (mediums) so was aware I couldn't get a great seal in my right ear (I believe I mentioned this in my post in the app thread, had to hold the right phone in place to get a good seal -so not ideal). I did fool around with the large yellow Ety ER-4 foams -got a good seal but they looked (& felt) plainly ridiculous -even tried sawing a pair in half so they'd fit better, but really -they are tips for African elephants! They did however give a slightly better feeling to the SQ (thru seal I guess) than the medium silicons.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #1,601 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by StereoX7521 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the large gray silicon sleeves on both my Westone 3 and Shure SE530's. I experience no sibilance on either earphones.

What's the difference beteren the gray and black (or blue?) sillicon tips? Or am I missing something here??

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #1,603 of 2,117
Quote:

Hey music....re UM3X, no, sadly I only had one pr of tips that fitted (mediums) so was aware I couldn't get a great seal in my right ear (I believe I mentioned this in my post in the app thread, had to hold the right phone in place to get a good seal -so not ideal). I did fool around with the large yellow Ety ER-4 foams -got a good seal but they looked (& felt) plainly ridiculous -even tried sawing a pair in half so they'd fit better, but really -they are tips for African elephants! They did however give a slightly better feeling to the SQ (thru seal I guess) than the medium silicons.

Well, it'd be interesting if you could try (again) the UM3X but this time with the large (?) grey tips. You might find the bass response even better, more accurate, then that of the W3's, and also the highs might not seen that recessed and the mids not so upfront. You know I like my UM3X's, and if I insist on the tips issue is because the grey silicone tips were by far the only ones that sounded right.

BTW, I see you have a new avatar. Whatever happened to The Doors? Is that you in your new avatar?

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #1,604 of 2,117
Yes, I will give 3X another shake, someday
smily_headphones1.gif
I wasn't happy that I only got partial seal in my right ear, so it's worth another shot. And who knows? I may like em more 2nd time around...er, maybe!

And yep, that was me...but I decided no, no, as it wasn't a full moon (little Jim Morrison reference there for you Doors maniacs, but who can tell me where from?) I preferred to be Waiting For The Sun....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back