REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jul 15, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #1,576 of 2,117
i also agree. the touch 2g is great - but it is not as good a sounding player as the 3g iphone and if not for the hiss, even the touch 1g. the touch 1g was just smoother, but hissed too much to be useful unless you were from the sony dap crowd (and consequently, learned to live with hiss a long time ago).

(i just realised that i am in the w3 thread) and have not spent much time with them at all.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #1,577 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My daughter has a 2G Touch and it is most definitely not the same sound as my iPhone 3G or 3GS. I got pestered in PM's enough about the question that I broke down and spent some time with them all yesterday and the day before.

Hmm.... Well, hopefully the iPod Touch 3G is better. We'll have to see.

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #1,578 of 2,117
HI Larry

I know you recommend UM56 with W3. Does it tame the bass of W3 and Treble too? How do you rate UM3X with UM56? Does it bring the bass and treble further down?

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #1,579 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tomorrow I will receive my new pair of W3's! I can't hardly wait!
biggrin.gif

Good luck! When I received mine, it was exciting, but then I was a little disappointed - until I tried the different tips. Each one will affect the overall tone. I'm using the silicone ones now.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #1,580 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI Larry

I know you recommend UM56 with W3. Does it tame the bass of W3 and Treble too? How do you rate UM3X with UM56? Does it bring the bass and treble further down?

I've posted a couple of times that the UM56 tips seem to level out the frequency response and bring the UM3X and W3 closer together in sound when used with either of them. The W3 don't have too much bass or treble with the UM56, but the UM3X don't have too little bass and treble when used with them either.

The UM3X with UM56 are a little more forward sounding than the W3 with the same tips, so the UM3X midrange presence and detail seems easier to appreciate. That also puts the listener a little farther from the stage when listening with the W3 than with the UM3X. There are other small differences but that is the biggest one. The W3 is still slightly bassier and slightly brighter as well, when using the same UM56 custom tips.

With the UM56 tips the W3 were good enough that I elected not to buy the UM3X just yet - when I want a more forward and detailed sound I grab my Westone ES3X customs instead.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #1,581 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck! When I received mine, it was exciting, but then I was a little disappointed - until I tried the different tips. Each one will affect the overall tone. I'm using the silicone ones now.

Thank you! I just hope somebody will me home to receive the package!

I am probably going to use the silicone (M's) aswell, because I've been told that you haven't got to push them very far into the ear, which I hate!

I've been using Klipsch X10's for nearly a year, sold them a month ago and bought the Denon C751's for $100 new, but I don't like them; the bass is so uncontrolled and while I could put the volume up high on my X10's, with the Denon's they just hurt my ear's.

So I hope W3's will be a lot better than C751's and a little bit better than X10s!

Do the W3's req. (any) burn-in time? If so, how long do you reckon?

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #1,582 of 2,117
They don't "require" burn in but they do use crossovers and stuff and some people believe that needs a burn in. I don't think the sound will change drastically over time like it would in a dynamic driver IEM.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #1,583 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by StereoX7521 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, I bow before you. What a excellent review! Makes me want to listen to my Westone 3's now. Too bad I'm at work and bought my Shure SE530's with me.

I was reading the JH13 thread last night and noticed you mentioned you preferred the W3 over the SE530. I'm wondering - why do you take your SE530 to work if you don't like them as much as the W3's? Also, the SE530's have bulky & heavy cables and are not as portable as the W3's.

How long have you had each of them? I had both but I may actually get one of them again - now I have the UM3X. I'd really be interested if you could compare both, and now both can be had for $300 or less.

BTW, why no mention of any source(s) or amp(2) in your signature? With all that nice gear you have, I'm sure you have at least 1 or 2 really good amps and sources.

I hear you are also considering getting the JH13's and possibly even the HD800! I'm jealous. I can see you're seriously into hi-fi, and you must have a really good job!! It's always nice to have members like you join head-fi. One can really learn a lot from them.

I guess it's a bit late for me to tell you: "Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet" as you've obviously spent quite a bit already.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #1,584 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was reading the JH13 thread last night and noticed you mentioned you preferred the W3 over the SE530. I'm wondering - why do you take your SE530 to work if you don't like them as much as the W3's? Also, the SE530's have bulky & heavy cables and are not as portable as the W3's.

How long have you had each of them? I had both but I may actually get one of them again - now I have the UM3X. I'd really be interested if you could compare both, and now both can be had for $300 or less.

BTW, why no mention of any source(s) or amp(2) in your signature? With all that nice gear you have, I'm sure you have at least 1 or 2 really good amps and sources.

I hear you are also considering getting the JH13's and possibly even the HD800! I'm jealous. I can see you're seriously into hi-fi, and you must have a really good job!! It's always nice to have members like you join head-fi. One can really learn a lot from them.

I guess it's a bit late for me to tell you: "Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet" as you've obviously spent quite a bit already.

Actually I like to alternate between IEM's because while the Westone 3 has a more fun and exiciting sound the Shure SE530's midrange is the reason why I still use it. The cables are heavier and bulkier than the Westone 3 but they're still manageable when going outside. I've owned the Shure SE530's since early 08 and the Westone 3's I recently picked up around new years. I'm only hoping I don't lose any midrange detail from the Shure SE530's with the JH13 Pro. I currently use the Benchmark DAC1 HDR for all my headphones. It's a DAC and AMP combo. I'm afraid I'll have to buy a more beefy external amp for the Sennheiser HD800 if I do get it. Also for my IEM's I use a Cowon D2 16gb with a 16gb SD card.

Also it's a bit strange that you want to know soo much about me and also what amps and sources I own. Also what's really strange is what matters to you what IEM's I bring to my job. Are you stalking me?

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #1,585 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was reading the JH13 thread last night and...

Quote:

Actually I like to alternate between IEM's because...

This cat-and-mouse game is getting really old.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #1,586 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This cat-and-mouse game is getting really old.

What game? I personally so far do not like this guy as I think he is stalking me. I just joined and he is asking me questions like some sort of an investigator. Does he normally do this?

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #1,587 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I hope W3's will be a lot better than C751's and a little bit better than X10s!

They're a LOT better than the C700/751 and I also preferred them to the X10 as well.

Quote:

Do the W3's req. (any) burn-in time? If so, how long do you reckon?

No burn in at all for me... I just had to adapt to a different sound signature which took a little while
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #1,588 of 2,117
Quote:

Actually I like to alternate between IEM's because while the Westone 3 has a more fun and exiciting sound the Shure SE530's midrange is the reason why I still use it. The cables are heavier and bulkier than the Westone 3 but they're still manageable when going outside. I've owned the Shure SE530's since early 08 and the Westone 3's I recently picked up around new years. I'm only hoping I don't lose any midrange detail from the Shure SE530's with the JH13 Pro. I currently use the Benchmark DAC1 HDR for all my headphones. It's a DAC and AMP combo. I'm afraid I'll have to buy a more beefy external amp for the Sennheiser HD800 if I do get it. Also for my IEM's I use a Cowon D2 16gb with a 16gb SD card.

Also it's a bit strange that you want to know soo much about me and also what amps and sources I own. Also what's really strange is what matters to you what IEM's I bring to my job. Are you stalking me?

Quote:

What game? I personally so far do not like this guy as I think he is stalking me. I just joined and he is asking me questions like some sort of an investigator. Does he normally do this?

Only 3 days ago I was called the exact same thing by another 'new member' who is no longer with us, and only lasted 2 days with us. Then there was another 'new member' who only lasted a few hours but had no time to accuse me of anything.

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #1,589 of 2,117
I know this is OT, but what was Voltag3's crime here on Head-fi (I mean why was he banned in the first place)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back