REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jul 14, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #1,561 of 2,117
Got a pair of W3's coming hehe im all giddy inside. Bought them used off a good guy on the board. Cant wait to get them hopefully they are here before the weekend. Best iem's ive heard ever are bose in ear's if you can call them best lol. Im not a big fan of them but they are still better then my apple buds. I cant wait im sure these will make me pretty happy.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #1,562 of 2,117
Tomorrow I will receive my new pair of W3's! I can't hardly wait!
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #1,563 of 2,117
Wow these little boogers are source sensitive! I can't believe it but the Sansa Clip really does sound better than my 2G Touch with the 3's. Treble is smoother, less fatiguing and the soundstage is better. The Touch with lossless files is not bad at all (yes, there is a touch of the occasional sibilance using the grey silicone tips), but the clip is a subtle, but noticeable improvement. Note: I'm not using an amp.

It's hard to describe but the sound on the Touch is slightly tilted forward, or leans toward the higher frequencies. It also sounds thinner if that makes any sense. The Clip sounds more even and I'm able to listen to it for much longer periods of time. Very, very immersive. Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment have not sounded better.

Oh man, wish I'd sprung for a higher capacity Clip, I had no idea it would become my DAP of choice.

HPA's suggestion to change your source was really spot on. Thank you!

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #1,564 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow these little boogers are source sensitive! I can't believe it but the Sansa Clip really does sound better than my 2G Touch with the 3's. Treble is smoother, less fatiguing and the soundstage is better. The Touch with lossless files is not bad at all (yes, there is a touch of the occasional sibilance using the grey silicone tips), but the clip is a subtle, but noticeable improvement. Note: I'm not using an amp.

It's hard to describe but the sound on the Touch is slightly tilted forward, or leans toward the higher frequencies. It also sounds thinner if that makes any sense. The Clip sounds more even and I'm able to listen to it for much longer periods of time. Very, very immersive. Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment have not sounded better.

Oh man, wish I'd sprung for a higher capacity Clip, I had no idea it would become my DAP of choice.

HPA's suggestion to change your source was really spot on. Thank you!

Absolutely correct - the 2G Touch sounds more like a 4G Nano, and the iPhone 3G is much better!

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #1,565 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely correct - the 2G Touch sounds more like a 4G Nano, and the iPhone 3G is much better!

Thats great news i have a 3gS and was hoping they would sound good with it. Im sure they 3g and S are very similar. Ive been using bose in ears so im sure this is gonna be dramatic change haha for the better.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #1,566 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats great news i have a 3gS and was hoping they would sound good with it. Im sure they 3g and S are very similar. Ive been using bose in ears so im sure this is gonna be dramatic change haha for the better.

S is slightly different, using a Cirrus Logic DAC rather than the Wolfson. It's subtly less warm, a tad cleaner sounding, with the stereo separation being a hair wider and the overall sound signature possessing a touch of greater clarity.

Not sure if the W3 would make more of this difference, as I found the difference to be quite subtle at best.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #1,567 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
S is slightly different, using a Cirrus Logic DAC rather than the Wolfson. It's subtly less warm, a tad cleaner sounding, with the stereo separation being a hair wider and the overall sound signature possessing a touch of greater clarity.

Not sure if the W3 would make more of this difference, as I found the difference to be quite subtle at best.

So do you prefer the iPhone 3GS over the 3G soundwise? With the W3's that is!

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #1,568 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do you prefer the iPhone 3GS over the 3G soundwise? With the W3's that is!

I don't have the W3 and have never tried it, but I preferred the iPhone 3GS across the board with my small ensemble of equipment (KSC75, HD 25-1 II, IE 8). It nicely counterbalances a noticeably warm set of headphones.

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #1,569 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

iPhone 3G and 3GS sound equally as good to me but maybe slightly different - I haven't really compared very much - both better than 2G Touch and 4G Nano (3G Nano is better than 4G, but still below iPhone).

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #1,570 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

awesome thanks for the explanation cant wait to get the 3's.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #1,571 of 2,117
Quote:

iPhone 3G and 3GS sound equally as good to me but maybe slightly different - I haven't really compared very much - both better than 2G Touch and 4G Nano (3G Nano is better than 4G, but still below iPhone).

sorry multi quote isnt working for me so two posts it is.

Thanks for the reply. This is really good to hear as my 3gS will be my main source. I also have a 5th gen ipod 80gig video. I will use it a bit but mainly the 3gS.

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #1,573 of 2,117
Quote:

Really? Wow, I had no idea. I had always heard the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G sounded pretty much the same. Interesting....
Quote:

Originally Posted by StereoX7521 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad I'm at work and bought my Shure SE530's with me.

Aww, you poor boy
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #1,575 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Wow, I had no idea. I had always heard the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G sounded pretty much the same. Interesting....

Aww, you poor boy
biggrin.gif

My daughter has a 2G Touch and it is most definitely not the same sound as my iPhone 3G or 3GS. I got pestered in PM's enough about the question that I broke down and spent some time with them all yesterday and the day before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back