REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Apr 3, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #1,277 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever, but I specifically asked HPA about the Y-split and he said it's shorter. Believe whoever you want.

I'll believe myself, thanks.
cool.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #1,278 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh. I heard the opposite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll believe myself, thanks.
cool.gif

Cute

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #1,279 of 2,117
I just picked up a pair of Westone 3 and wow! They blow my Shure SE310s out of the water!

Phenomenal bass, great mids and excellent highs! I almost prefer them to by Grado headphones! Great resolution and soundstage.

HeadphoneAddict really nailed it on the review. I was initially leaning to the Shure SE530s, but boy am I glad I got these instead.

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #1,282 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The w3 still remains one of the best universal iem but i just can't take the mid bass hump...any recommended tips to remove them? Might re-purchase the w3 if it could be done...

UM56?

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #1,283 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In comparing this tip to the modded bi and tri flange options, I find the quality of sound pretty close but I’m thinking the clear flex offers just a pinch cleaner sound but it could be my imagination. With little to no siblance and a pretty balanced sound I am certain I am hitting the sweet spot but it is a narrow window, no doubt. The whole thing goes to hell when the seal goes. I hope I can continue to enjoy this tip option as I cannot recall the last time I could enjoy any IEM without having to resort to a comply, olive or foamie. This would be a pleasant change in my mind. As far as use with a Nano, someone mentioned the Acoustic setting but I did not care for it. The lower register sounded a little too thick and chunky. I am using Jazz setting. I will report back in a few days plus provide comparison to TF10Pro’s I have really taking a liking to.

Try a completely flat setting, EQ off. IIRC the Nano can't do subtractive EQ so it's going to distort with any kind of EQ active. A well-fitting W3 shouldn't require any EQ in the first place, and if you have to EQ it to sound right then the fit is still off. I use an iAudio 7 and all EQ settings and digital effects are off, and everything sounds balanced and as it should be... for an mp3 player at any rate.

Also, keep trying every single tip in the universe. What works for me may not work for everyone and may not even be the best fit possible.

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #1,284 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealsky
The w3 still remains one of the best universal iem but i just can't take the mid bass hump...any recommended tips to remove them? Might re-purchase the w3 if it could be done...

UM56?

Yep.

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #1,285 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a pair of Westone 3 and wow! They blow my Shure SE310s out of the water!

Phenomenal bass, great mids and excellent highs! I almost prefer them to by Grado headphones! Great resolution and soundstage.

HeadphoneAddict really nailed it on the review. I was initially leaning to the Shure SE530s, but boy am I glad I got these instead.

So I've had a chance now to listen to these puppies. I used my iPod 160Gb classic and The Wall by Pink Floyd and the more I listen the more I'm impressed.

I've done some side by side comparisons with my Shure SE310s and they are in a totally different league. The fullness of the sound is incredible for earphones. Seriously the sound-stage and bass rival my full size Grado cans.

I settled on the medium sized grey tips (not sure what they're called). They seemed to fit my ears the best. The larger ones were just too big for my ear canals.

I've tried them with my Grado RA1 amp and too much hiss. I guess that's what the extra volume controller is for. When I use that with my AMP and Hotaudio40 Straight DAC, the sound is even more impressive.

I just can't stop raving about these things. To anyone thinking of picking these up of the Shure SE530s, I would seriously look at the Westone 3s...seriously.

Apr 4, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #1,286 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've had a chance now to listen to these puppies. I used my iPod 160Gb classic and The Wall by Pink Floyd and the more I listen the more I'm impressed.

I've done some side by side comparisons with my Shure SE310s and they are in a totally different league. The fullness of the sound is incredible for earphones. Seriously the sound-stage and bass rival my full size Grado cans.

I settled on the medium sized grey tips (not sure what they're called). They seemed to fit my ears the best. The larger ones were just too big for my ear canals.

I've tried them with my Grado RA1 amp and too much hiss. I guess that's what the extra volume controller is for. When I use that with my AMP and Hotaudio40 Straight DAC, the sound is even more impressive.

I just can't stop raving about these things. To anyone thinking of picking these up of the Shure SE530s, I would seriously look at the Westone 3s...seriously.

Have you heard the SE530's? To my ears the Westone 3's are a downgrade.

Apr 4, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #1,287 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard the SE530's? To my ears the Westone 3's are a downgrade.

Actually I gave them quite the trial and came really close to picking them up. I have a chance to pick them up for $350 Cdn which is a real steal. But I read HeadphoneAddict's review and tried out the Westone 3s a couple of days ago.

I really prefer these earphones, the soundstage seems wider, the more bass powerful and controlled and phenomenal mids/highs. That's not the say the Shure SE530s are bad, I just preferred these ones. Actually I paid $30 more for them and really glad I did.

Most people here would agree that the Westone 3 are the best universal earphones on the market right now and I have to agree.

Apr 4, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #1,288 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I replied the way I did about the y-split being shortened is because in all my time on head-fi I had never seen a complaint about the IM2 y-split being short (must have missed the posts), and so I assumed that if it seemed too short now that it was a new development and must have been done on this model only.

Hello HA: I don't have a small head, the split is just right.I don't have have the UM2's anymore, but it may have been a little tighter with them. At any rate, it s a non issue for me.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #1,289 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question: have you listened to the Westone 3? If you do, you may very well join the club
bigsmile_face.gif
But I know what you mean...

I own a ton of IEMs and would not put my reputation on the line if I didn't think the Westone 3 was sent to planet Earth from another galaxy
wink.gif
They are simply different. Now personal taste is subjective but the reaction I had when I first listened to the Westone 3 was OH F!!! Emotions are hard to be analyzed and written about and I take my hat off to HA and vorlon1.

I put my Westone 3 on and I feel silly happy. I start smiling like I don't know what (see how it's hard). The confidence I have is that when someone actually listens to them it will be very hard not to be so impressed. It's hard not to sound like a fanboy until you listen to them. I don't remember sticking my neck out this far for any other IEM in the past 5 years. It all comes down to the truth.

If I weren't so impressed I'd sit back and watch. But since I am,...
bigsmile_face.gif

To be able to write about sound is a difficult art in itself and it will never fully explain one person's experience. It's like describing what some food tastes like. You can try but if you don't taste it you will never know.

I love your comment on just "smiling like I don't know what" because I'm smiling right now the same way. I was impressed with my Grado SR325is headphones...but not like this. 5 hours later and I'm still smiling while listening to Hotel California by the Eagles.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #1,290 of 2,117
I've been chiming in every couple of days about my W3s, and thought I'd post a few more thoughts. I tried the Shure black medium olives again yesterday for giggles and was ready to return them (the W3s). I just could not get a good sound out of them. I would try the Acoustic setting and it was way too boomy and breaking up. I would try the Treble Booster and it sounded too artificial. Flat EQ sounded lifeless. I was in the dumps! First thing I did this morning was put the modified (stalk cut down) tri flanges on and set EQ back to Acoustic. Ahhh, there it is, the good stuff. Granted, this is not a cure all for me. A couple of songs with some heavier bass (couple on Prodigy - Fat of the Land) were still breaking up a little, but 95% of everything I pumped through it sounded stellar. Actually, it was a pretty heavy Prodigy day as I also listed to Dirtchamber Sessions and Music for a Jilted Generation. I had the tri flanges in for most of this morning (approx. 4 hrs.) and had zero discomfort issues. They almost seemed to disappear in my ears. I have noticed that trying to tilt them upwards gives a little fuller sound. I guess I should try some of the clear and grey tips as well, but I'm fairly happy with the modded tri flanges.

Couple other observations. The "microphonics" are sooooo much less than my old E4cs. I would barely turn my head and I would hear feedback. Its very slight with the W3s. The cable is worlds better than the E4cs. I posted earlier about the cable shredding on my E4cs twice, and the W3s are so much more flexible. I have zero issues with them going over my ears and then into the canals. The y-split does seem a little short, but it hasn't been an issue. I have a big noggin (like a 7 3/4 fitted hat size) so maybe that will help put it into perspective. Also, I like the low profile plug going into my ipod.

Oh, here's a tip on buying them in the U.S. I got mine from Road Dog Online from their ebay store. Their W3 listings have a "Buy It Now" price and a "Make Offer" option. Now take a look at their user feedback where it gives specific item feedback including the item and price paid...hint, hint. At first it seemed tough to get any type of discount on the W3s, but it is possible. Road Dog Online are A+ folks btw. Had the W3s within 2 days of paying for them. Yesterday, they sent me a hand written thank you card along with a 10% off coupon for my next purchase with them. Pretty nice personal touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back