REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #1,291 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard the SE530's? To my ears the Westone 3's are a downgrade.

You are so alone there...

Today I took my SE530 since I still have the IE8 on the burning process (plugged at my Ipod Classic on Shuffle mode 24 hrs..next sunday they will have 400 hrs) and I couldn't stand them for more than an hour..when I have no EQ on my Ipod their lack of treble is unbearable and if I set the Treble Booster I get an annoying plastic sound...arggghh.

Also each day Im more impressed with the IE8. They really have a very nice soundstage and the word harshness doesnt exist whit the IE8. So smoth.

If i want to have a critical listen session I'd plug my UE11..If I want to laid back and relax I'd put my IE8 on !

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #1,292 of 2,117
Listening with W3/triple flanges now, to Mozart's Regina Coeli in C major with Nikolaus Harnoncourt: wow! sibilance? what sibilance? well defined bass, beautiful highs. Experimenting with eq off in my iPodG6 or different modes" acousic, treble booster. All quite enjoyable. Have had IEM;s in for a few hours, no fatigue. With the Shure black olives my l ear go a little sore. I am surprised the triflanges are more comfortable than with the UM2s. I have read the stem in the UM2's is a little longer but i cant imagine such a small difference would improve in my comfort.
The isolation is great. I am having to pause my music everytime my wife wants to talk to me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #1,293 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening with W3/triple flanges now, to Mozart Regina Coeli in C major with Nikolaus Harnoncourt: wow! sibilance? what sibilance? well defined bass, beautiful highs. Experimenting with eq off in my iPodG6 or different modes" acousic, treble booster. All quite enjoyable. Have had IEM;s in for a few hours, no fatigue. With the Shure black olives my l ear go a little sore. I am surprised the triflanges are more comfortable than with the UM2s. I have read the stem in the UM2's is a little longer but i cant imagine such a small difference would improve in my comfort.
The isolation is great. I am having to pause my music everytime my wife wants to talk to me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

That's great. The W3 are very good. Enjoy them.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #1,294 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's great. The W3 are very good. Enjoy them.

your stable of IEM's is indeed impressive. Are your UE11 your ultimate quest or now shooting for the W ES3's?
I am a little leery of customs because I am very finicky and suspect I would drive the manufacturer crazy sending them back for readjustments. May be some day.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #1,295 of 2,117
Quote:

your stable of IEM's is indeed impressive. Are your UE11 your ultimate quest or now shooting for the W ES3's?
I am a little leery of customs because I am very finicky and suspect I would drive the manufacturer crazy sending them back for readjustments. May be some day.

To tell you the truth I've been so tempted to pull he trigger for the ES3X but I think it would be irresponsible to spend that amount when I have the UE11 which I truly enjoy and find perfect. I guess this place can be dangerous for your wallet.

Regarding the ES3X I have not heard the first case of a bad fit while with the UE11 a high percentage of people didn't get a proper seal first or even second time (I was lucky since I had an excellent fit at first). But once you get used to a custom is an amazing experience and isolation is better than any universal tip. I use the universals when I'm on the go since I'm scared to expose my UE11 to any of the dangers of the street.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #1,296 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just spent a very enjoyable morning listening to Tool and Pink Floyd with the 3's so I'd have to disagree. No, they're no Grado when it comes to rock but then what is?

I just got through listening to The Wall (Pink Floyd) and the W3s are the best IE I've ever heard (much better then the SE530s that I tried out for 24 hours).

But as you say...nothing sounds like a Grado set when it comes to rock. But damn these are close.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #1,297 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got through listening to The Wall (Pink Floyd) and the W3s are the best IE I've ever heard (much better then the SE530s that I tried out for 24 hours).

Ah yes, don't forget to knock the 530s when you post
biggrin.gif

You forgot to last time
angry_face.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #1,298 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

You forgot to last time
angry_face.gif

Oh no! the Shure fanboy is here! help!
eek.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #1,299 of 2,117
Quote:

Oh no! the Shure fanboy is here! help!
eek.gif

Lol. I'm not a fanboy, I just get amused by Shure bashing. But alas, it is a Westone appreciation thread, so it's fine.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #1,300 of 2,117
Quote:

biggrin.gif

You forgot to last time
angry_face.gif

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. The Shure SE530s were really good too and probably one of the very top 3 earphones I've ever heard, but as HeadphoneAddict put it:

"When I compared the SE530 directly to the Westone 3 that day, the side by side comparison left no question in my mind that the Westone 3 did EVERYthing much better."

Sorry, but I agree with him. Just give them a try...

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #1,301 of 2,117
Quote:

Lol. I'm not a fanboy, I just get amused by Shure bashing. But alas, it is a Westone Appreciation thread, so it's fine.

My first foray into higher end IE were Shure SE110s, then I upgraded to SE310s and I really like them and still own them (however the SE110s are now for sale as 3 pair are too much).

They are well built and great sound. I just found something I think is much better.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #1,302 of 2,117
I first had the SE210's. nicely build, great highs but no bass. Cord was to heavy for my liking. Of al the IME's I have tried I really like the Westone' cable. My S5F Pro cables are turning green (yikes!) and feel pretty unwieldy by comparison.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #1,303 of 2,117
this is my 501st post! I am now officially a 500 head-fier!
(while watching the fireworks outside and corking the bottle of champagne). Damn the confetti!

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #1,304 of 2,117
Quote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.

Not at all
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Just give them a try...

I honestly wish I could without committing a good hunk of change, but that doesn't seem possible. I already have a pretty good idea how they sound based on the hundreds of comments/reviews I've read. But I'd still like to actually try them.

Maybe some day.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #1,305 of 2,117
Quote:

Of al the IME's I have tried I really like the Westone' cable.

I liked the actual make-up of the cable. I just didn't like the length
frown.gif
. I just prefer the IE8 cable to all other cables I've seen.
Quote:

My S5F Pro cables are turning green (yikes!)

I think mine were too before I sold them
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back