REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 4, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #271 of 2,117
I prefer the Westone 3 to the E500 I owned long ago by a long shot. I really can't think of anything the E500 did better than the Westone 3

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #272 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the Westone 3 to the E500 I owned long ago by a long shot. I really can't think of anything the E500 did better than the Westone 3

Good to know! I also had the E500 long while back and had a hard time getting the sound I want, the rolled off highs were especially bothering for me. Hope W3 could do better.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #273 of 2,117
I'm insanely tempted...

Geeezz... I'm so happy with the ER4... I even was looking to apuresound recable them...

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #274 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by judestudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to know! I also had the E500 long while back and had a hard time getting the sound I want, the rolled off highs were especially bothering for me. Hope W3 could do better.

It's been a while since I've owned the E500, but I'd risk myself to say that the highs of the W3 are as equally rolled off as the Shure model. The Westone 3 does everything else better though.

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #275 of 2,117
Mine have already arrived on Monday...just that I am out on business and only back Friday night!
frown.gif
I was never looking so much forward to coming home after a week out!!!

Any views on how the W3's play with amps? I have the Hornet M and the Tomahawk and with my current SE530 I clearly preferred the Hornet.

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #276 of 2,117
UM2 has some really annoying sibilance, which left me seling them. E500 is way better, but also has some sibilance. Does the 3 have the same problem comparing to UM2 and E500? (I prefer to use black olives).

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #277 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well looks like its up to me to do a:

Westone vs. TF10, LiveWires, Klipsch X10 and SA6!

Yes please do!!! I am happy I never bought the Tf10s. It's alot of money in Aussie dollars though, I sure hope you love them to death.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #278 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm insanely tempted...

Geeezz... I'm so happy with the ER4... I even was looking to apuresound recable them...

I'm doing that process right now. Sending off my Ety4p for a 4' cabling, aftger reading reviews by Antonyfirst and a few others. Already have Image X10s with Imod and Reference and just want the "dust to settle" on the reviews and production of these Westies. Plus, recabling the Ety is less money than the new Westie. And, bottom line: spend additional money for ANOTHER pair of IEMs?? Can't do it right now. LEt's see how the Etys sound when they come back paired with the Reference and its huge soundstage and "voice"

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #279 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm doing that process right now. Sending off my Ety4p for a 4' cabling, aftger reading reviews by Antonyfirst and a few others. Already have Image X10s with Imod and Reference and just want the "dust to settle" on the reviews and production of these Westies. Plus, recabling the Ety is less money than the new Westie. And, bottom line: spend additional money for ANOTHER pair of IEMs?? Can't do it right now. LEt's see how the Etys sound when they come back paired with the Reference and its huge soundstage and "voice"

Great, I'll try to stay tuned at your review before deciding.

Despite all the hype about the W3 we are reading to, sometimes I can't imagine better sound than the one our Eyts deliver, and it seems that its drawbacks are fixed somehow with that irrationally expensive cable.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #280 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been a while since I've owned the E500, but I'd risk myself to say that the highs of the W3 are as equally rolled off as the Shure model. The Westone 3 does everything else better though.

...What

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #281 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsiCore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM2 has some really annoying sibilance, which left me seling them.

Same here, but I just returned them for my SE530.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #282 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richdel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I haven't been around much since my last purchases of the Atrios and Cowon X5L. Then a week ago, I stopped by and immediately got caught up in the W3 hysteria. Now, I am the proud owner of a "soon to be received" set of W3's. Got the 10% Ebay coupon coupled with 30% MCashback, so I couldn't resist that deal. Reading all the impressions and reviews has me really amped to hear these for myself. I can't wait to find out how they "mate" with the Cowon. Thanks to everyone who has previously listed their experiences on this thread, you now have another convert (hopefully). Atrios will become my workout iems now. Can't wait to compare them.

Cowon owner here also. I think we will be safe, although verification is needed. I wait with patience.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #285 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I initially believed the Westone 3's treble was rolled off as well until I modded the triple flange tip. The highs on the Westone 3 are clearly superior to the SE530 once you use the right tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back