REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Mar 24, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #1,126 of 2,117
westone UM56

That link to the UM56 sleeves you wanted. But, some Audiologist who sell Westone will discount them if you do the impressions with them. So make some calls first.

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #1,127 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the acoustic setting on the iPod? With my Touch, that really goes a long way towards mitigating the loss of treble, which I do hear as well. The other issues don't bother me as much. Also, have you tried tweaking the EQ on the Sony? I realize that's not the preferred route, but the W3s respond very well to EQ. And when I make those small adjustments, they really sound terrific. Also, trimming the stalk will also help reduce the veil.

I am experimenting with the bi-flange mod (again), based on some feedback by MaloS on another thread, but haven't had the time to try this newer mod, which means slicing off the top flange, but trimming the stalk very, very little. In the end, I am getting the UM56s custom sleeves. Have to do it, since I love the W3 sound when I have heard what it can do.

I havn't messed around with EQ in quite some time, actually, and even when I was, it was amateurish aplication and really just messin about with it, looking to ammend the overall sound I was hearing to what sounded fun to me, generally (though I did conduct some targeted frequency area specific adjustments)!
biggrin.gif
I then picked up on quite a few heavy sentiments from more seasoned audiophiles that EQ'ing degraded SQ and, also, as I aquired more IEMs, to comparatively compare their sound sigs it was easier-required to remove the EQ variable. So I simply cut it out the loop, so to speak. I just havn't dabbled with it since. I could probably apply it with more intelligence, understanding and insight now, however, so yeah I'll have a mess with that at some stage with my W3, both on ipod- I'll start with your acoustic setting recommendation!- and the Sony! I havn't finished with my primary tip discrimination process yet, however, so I may yet find a solution I like better than the tri-flange that doesn't require EQ (our ears etc and/or tastes varifying). I will certainly bear EQ'ing in mind though as a possibility should I need it.
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #1,129 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had some success with the bi-flange mod, no EQ required. Brings the sparkle back, but not enough. Looking forward to getting the UM56, and end all the tip stuff.

That is the ultimate solution, I should think
biggrin.gif
. I may well consider it in the future but, for now, I simply can't afford it
tongue.gif
. That and I still may just find a universal tip/fit solution thats means I don't need to go down that route!

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #1,130 of 2,117
Hey, I'm kind of coming out of the woodwork here. I've been a member here for a while, but fell off over the past couple of years, but back in the market for some new IEMs. My Shure E4cs wires split (2nd pair) and are out of warranty. Pretty much fed up with Shure QC, so I've been following these and the Senn IE8s over the past couple of months. You all have persuaded me to go with the 3s. Just put an order in this morning. Can't wait to ditch the Shures. I'll be running them directly out of a 5G iPod with no amp. I had an amp (Shellbrook - blast from the past), but the power switch keeps crapping out on me.

As for tips, I believe I have some Shure triple flangers from the 2 E4cs I've gone through now. Would these work on the 3s and just cutting the down to 2? I'll give a report back after I get them and have played with them for a while. Thanks to everyone on here for their opinions, impressions, tips, tricks, etc.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #1,131 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for tips, I believe I have some Shure triple flangers from the 2 E4cs I've gone through now. Would these work on the 3s and just cutting the down to 2?

Yes, the Shure and Westone tips (except foam/olives) are the same.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #1,132 of 2,117
Yes, they would work. I would just try the stalk trim with the tri-flange first, and see if you like it, before I would destroy them. Unless, of course, you have some extras around. I really like the trimmed tri-flange (with a little EQ, as you have seen), but I modded the only ones I had to bi-flanges and am not as happy with them. Now, I had to order 3 more pair so I can get an intact set of tri-flanges. Of course, my next move it to the UM56s, but in the meantime, I messed up. Oh well, only cost me $11 for the Shure flanges.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #1,133 of 2,117
@ DJ Johnny V, congrats on your W3 purchase! I'm s(h)ure you won't look back once you find a decent tip/fit solution with the Westones!

To anyone, out of curiosity and interest over a possible purchase in the (near, maybe) future, does anyone know outlets for getting the UM56 done in the UK? As I understand it, the process is that you find a vendor who offers the UM56 and/or custom ear sleeves, you purchase them from that seller, they send a voucher for this order to the designated audiologist you've specified to take your impressions, you go to audiologist and get impressions taken, they then send these off to the vendor who creates the custom tips for you from the impressions sent and they, finally, deliver them to you. Is this right? Are there alternatives- apart from taking the impressions yourself with an impressions kit as I believe this is unreliable- such as paying for impressions from an audiologist independently and then requesting them to send or sending in yourself the impressions to Westone or another outsource that produces the custom tips or is this controlled out by the vendors with the above process to ensure their profit margin?

So yeah, the above questions about process involved aside, any UK sources for gettin the UM56 done ppl are aware of? (Westone don't currently deal directly with, at least, the UK, I believe, so doing it directly with them is not an option). Variphone, I imagine, would be an option. Hi-fiheadphones.co.uk offer custom tips for Westone universal earphones, amoungst other brands, but would they be the UM56 or an alternative? In fact, would any vendor other than dealing direct with Westone give the same (material;design etc) UM56 tips or are they gona be different?

These are questions ppl might not know and I may have to ask of vendors, Westone etc, come to think of it, so no worries if ppl cannot anwser them, but I'm just throwing them out there in case anyone is in the know and/or has experience with!

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #1,134 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ DJ Johnny V, congrats on your W3 purchase! I'm s(h)ure you won't look back once you find a decent tip/fit solution with the Westones!

To anyone, out of curiosity and interest over a possible purchase in the (near, maybe) future, does anyone know outlets for getting the UM56 done in the UK? As I understand it, the process is that you find a vendor who offers the UM56 and/or custom ear sleeves, you purchase them from that seller, they send a voucher for this order to the designated audiologist you've specified to take your impressions, you go to audiologist and get impressions taken, they then send these off to the vendor who creates the custom tips for you from the impressions sent and they, finally, deliver them to you. Is this right? Are there alternatives- apart from taking the impressions yourself with an impressions kit as I believe this is unreliable- such as paying for impressions from an audiologist independently and then requesting them to send or sending in yourself the impressions to Westone or another outsource that produces the custom tips or is this controlled out by the vendors with the above process to ensure their profit margin?

So yeah, the above questions about process involved aside, any UK sources for gettin the UM56 done ppl are aware of? (Westone don't currently deal directly with, at least, the UK, I believe, so doing it directly with them is not an option). Variphone, I imagine, would be an option. Hi-fiheadphones.co.uk offer custom tips for Westone universal earphones, amoungst other brands, but would they be the UM56 or an alternative? In fact, would any vendor other than dealing direct with Westone give the same (material;design etc) UM56 tips or are they gona be different?

These are questions ppl might not know and I may have to ask of vendors, Westone etc, come to think of it, so no worries if ppl cannot anwser them, but I'm just throwing them out there in case anyone is in the know and/or has experience with!

I enquired about the UM56's with Variphone and received this reply:

"Dear Kev,

Thanks for contacting us.
The UM56 will be manufactured based on a pair of ear impressions.
Those can be taken via your local hearing aid shop or acoustician. When interested, Send them to us and we will manufacture and return you the product requested.( UM56 custom molds for UM series)

Pricing: 105 euro for a pair.
Delivery time: 2-3 weeks after receiving the ear impressions.
Above price is ex VAT and shipping.

When you do have a VAT number, then there is no surcharge of VAT. Otherwise it will be 21%.

If interested, just let us know.

Kindest regards

Stefan Voortmans
Variphone Benelux"

That's a lot more money than using ACS, which have been getting some good reviews in the IE8 customs thread.

Hifi Headphones won't be live with their service for about a month, but I have found themp3company that do them and I think it's with ACS.

I also contacted ACS and they do have the settings for the Westone 3's, so I'm going to book appointment for some customs pretty soon.

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #1,135 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Kev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enquired about the UM56's with Variphone and received this reply:

"Dear Kev,

Thanks for contacting us.
The UM56 will be manufactured based on a pair of ear impressions.
Those can be taken via your local hearing aid shop or acoustician. When interested, Send them to us and we will manufacture and return you the product requested.( UM56 custom molds for UM series)

Pricing: 105 euro for a pair.
Delivery time: 2-3 weeks after receiving the ear impressions.
Above price is ex VAT and shipping.

When you do have a VAT number, then there is no surcharge of VAT. Otherwise it will be 21%.

If interested, just let us know.

Kindest regards

Stefan Voortmans
Variphone Benelux"

That's a lot more money than using ACS, which have been getting some good reviews in the IE8 customs thread.

Hifi Headphones won't be live with their service for about a month, but I have found themp3company that do them and I think it's with ACS.

I also contacted ACS and they do have the settings for the Westone 3's, so I'm going to book appointment for some customs pretty soon.

Thanks for the informative response!
biggrin.gif

Wow, the price Variphone are demanding for the UM56 is pretty high! (I make it 111.16 GBP, excluding shipping; that is quite a mark-up by them once again on Westone products!). Also, if I recall rightly, one member, a while back (can't remember their username), had previously aquired a pair of UM56 from Variphone- for his shures or UM2's or something- and didn't like the material they were made out of. He then somehow sampled and/or aquired some UM56 made from Westone, direct, and they were made out of a different material that he preferred! Take that for what it is though (ie a memory that could be somewhat erroneous and just one case if true). I think all considered I would be deterred fro dealing with Variphone over this product, personally.

ACS are a company that have entered my remit more and more frequently over the last few months, via the talk regarding them in these forums, both as a custom tip manufacturer for unioversal earphones and, also, for their custom IEM offerings; I know very little about them though and/or their quality reputation. Neverthless, I would definately consider them if and when I look to venture into the market for a pair of custom tips! Would these likely affect the sound of a universal iem/westone 3 differently than the UM56? I suppose it's very possible they could- if made out of a different material, for eg, or insert/seal deeper etc- but I doubt anyone is gona have a set of ACS custom tips and the UM56 to compare them!
biggrin.gif
. Please, do give your impressions of what these are like, sonically and otherwise, once you have them and have tried them?! I would appreciate hearing ppl's impressions of what ACS custom tips are like.

Oh, can you deal directly with ACS or do you have to use an intermediate third party outsource (thinking of cost; surely third party takes a cut inflating price)?

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #1,136 of 2,117
Quote:

Oh, can you deal directly with ACS or do you have to use an intermediate third party outsource (thinking of cost; surely third party takes a cut inflating price)?

I also asked ACS if they would make me a set if I provided a set of impressions independently and they said:

". In the meantime if you can get a set of impressions done and sent to us, we can certainly get your custom sleeves made for you. The RRP is £88.

Kind Regards
Carol Connelly
Order Administrator
Advanced Communication Solutions Ltd
Units 22-23 Beaumont Close
Beaumont Industrial Estate
Banbury
OX16 1TG"

This isn't what I wanted to hear, as themp3company quote £89.99, which gives you a voucher for everything, impressions included.

There's some info in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...-unite-409078/ including some great pictures, which make me want them even more.

I also think that you can go directly to one of the linked retailers on their website www.hearingprotection.co.uk and pay for the process when you get your impressions made.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #1,137 of 2,117
Quote:

I also asked ACS if they would make me a set if I provided a set of impressions independently and they said:

". In the meantime if you can get a set of impressions done and sent to us, we can certainly get your custom sleeves made for you. The RRP is £88.

Kind Regards
Carol Connelly
Order Administrator
Advanced Communication Solutions Ltd
Units 22-23 Beaumont Close
Beaumont Industrial Estate
Banbury
OX16 1TG"

This isn't what I wanted to hear, as themp3company quote £89.99, which gives you a voucher for everything, impressions included.

There's some info in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...-unite-409078/ including some great pictures, which make me want them even more.

I also think that you can go directly to one of the linked retailers on their website www.hearingprotection.co.uk and pay for the process when you get your impressions made.

Thanks again for the further info and insight! Appreciated.

It appears as though the all inclusive voucher is the best option then atm! Good luck with whole process!

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #1,138 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ib1dance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The true indicator of quality.
dt880smile.png

The Desire to listen @ lower volume levels because you don't feel the need to make up for the lack of dynamics with extra Volume.

They make you want to listen more.
ksc75smile.gif

I thought I was the only one!!! I had this thing when I switched from my EP630's to the UM2 as well, i could dramtically reduce the volume to like a setting of 1 or 2, and still get away with it...

I think the UM2 and 3 are comparable in terms of the amount of volume I have to use though...

Very good and balanced is what I like about them, my first Triple Driver!

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #1,139 of 2,117
Quote:

Thanks again for the further info and insight! Appreciated.

It appears as though the all inclusive voucher is the best option then atm! Good luck with whole process!

After a LOT of emails sent back and forth with Paul Best at themp3company, who was extremely helpful, plus ACS initially saying they can't do the W3, it's now been sorted and the W3 has been added to the relevant webpage.

I've now placed my order and hope to have them in a few weeks, fingers crossed.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #1,140 of 2,117
Quote:

After a LOT of emails sent back and forth with Paul Best at themp3company, who was extremely helpful, plus ACS initially saying they can't do the W3, it's now been sorted and the W3 has been added to the relevant webpage.

I've now placed my order and hope to have them in a few weeks, fingers crossed.

Sweet! I look forward to hearing how they turn out for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back