REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Mar 30, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #1,157 of 2,117
I have 2 pairs of Comply tips there; the Comply P-series long/narrow tips and the Comply T400 tips (the tip that Comply sell for IE8). I de-cored the T400 tips and slid them down to the base of the Westone 3's nozzles--this leaves them very loose. I then slid the P-series tips down on top of them to secure them. The T400 tips in turn force the P-series tips not to sit fully down to the base of the stem, which pushes the foam further in the ear, where the bend is in the canal, sealing the openings of the tip a bit and reducing brightness a little (similar to using the longer triflange tips).

This arrangement is brighter than using the triflange tips, but not quite as bright as using the P-series tips alone.

-Ed

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #1,159 of 2,117
The problem for me with the modded triflanges is they are too dark; I think the bend in my ear canals is farther out, pinching them too shut. I can't cut the stalks any shorter because if I do, the body interferes with the largest flange and I can't get a seal.

-Ed

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #1,160 of 2,117
Nice idea Ed! It's been added to my list of tips/fits to try
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #1,161 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem for me with the modded triflanges is they are too dark; I think the bend in my ear canals is farther out, pinching them too shut. I can't cut the stalks any shorter because if I do, the body interferes with the largest flange and I can't get a seal.

-Ed

Got it. They are dark for me too, but again, that little EQ trick brightens them up, without sibilance.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #1,162 of 2,117
I notice distortion when I EQ, so it is unfortunately not an option for me.

-Ed

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #1,163 of 2,117
Tried your double Comply mod, but not much difference to me than using the thin Comply Ps straight up. A little more iso, but no change in the treble, still too bright for me. I immediately went back to the tri-flanges with the acoustic EQ and they sounded so much better. Guess it's a personal thing. I get absolutely no distortion using that EQ setting on my Touch. Weird.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #1,164 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice idea Ed! It's been added to my list of tips/fits to try
wink.gif

Just a quick note. I tried your "extender" mod, but instead of using a "ringlet" created from the core of the Shure yellow foamie, I simply used the discarded ringlets created when modding the tri-flange stalk. Just by cutting the stalk about 50 percent, I get the mod I want, and the piece that is chopped off is a perfect fit on the W3 stalk, so it creates the same effect without having to destroy a yellow foamie.

Unfortunately, even with that mod and the T100 mediums on top of the rings, the W3s are still too bright for me. The tri-flange mod and EQ combo (see above) sounds so much better. In fact, I am so happy with that sound, I may not even spend the money on the UM56s, for fear the treble would be too bright and the money wasted. Why mess with success? I am gonna think it over. As you might have read a few posts up, DJ_JohnnyV also found the combo worked for him. Hit or miss, I guess.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #1,165 of 2,117
My W3's should arrive this week! As much as I read in the Senn IE8 threads, I could not be persuaded to order them instead of the W3's. Too bad I cant try before I buy, but I think the Westone's will be an excellent choice for me. Thank you guys for your input and suggestions.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #1,167 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried your double Comply mod, but not much difference to me than using the thin Comply Ps straight up. A little more iso, but no change in the treble, still too bright for me. I immediately went back to the tri-flanges with the acoustic EQ and they sounded so much better. Guess it's a personal thing. I get absolutely no distortion using that EQ setting on my Touch. Weird.

Yes, it's bound to vary from person to person of course. That being said, I'm sitting here right this very moment posting from the audiologist's office with blue foamy stuff popping and crackling away in my ears! One pair to be sent directly to Westone and one pair for me to take and send off to ACS in the UK. I can't wait!

-Ed

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #1,168 of 2,117
Quote:

Just a quick note. I tried your "extender" mod, but instead of using a "ringlet" created from the core of the Shure yellow foamie, I simply used the discarded ringlets created when modding the tri-flange stalk. Just by cutting the stalk about 50 percent, I get the mod I want, and the piece that is chopped off is a perfect fit on the W3 stalk, so it creates the same effect without having to destroy a yellow foamie.

Unfortunately, even with that mod and the T100 mediums on top of the rings, the W3s are still too bright for me. The tri-flange mod and EQ combo (see above) sounds so much better. In fact, I am so happy with that sound, I may not even spend the money on the UM56s, for fear the treble would be too bright and the money wasted. Why mess with success? I am gonna think it over. As you might have read a few posts up, DJ_JohnnyV also found the combo worked for him. Hit or miss, I guess.

My UM56 are not as bright as my medium silicone tips - just smoother and more balanced lows, mids and highs.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #1,169 of 2,117
Quote:

Nice improv, shame it didn't do it for you. Still, as you say and seem to be converging ever more definately at, if you've got a set-up that is working for you so well, why mess with it? It would be a bummer if you got the UM56 and they relayed a sound too bright and/or harsh/sibilant for you, for sure and, despite HPA's endorsements (which are, arguably, about the best you could attain), the fact is you can't be certain this wouldn't be the case for you as you're not his clone!
tongue.gif

Out of interest, I had a little play around with tips/fit with my W3 again today, and, with the better understanding of how to insert the 3's, without and the even more so with the extenders in place, the sibilance levels I was hearing were greatly reduced and tolerable with both the bundled grey silicone tips and the clear plastic varitey, also (both producing about equal levels). Only infrequently now, with these tips installed, was the sibilance coming through piercing and, for the most part, it sounded more natural (though maybe a little bit more pronounced than I'd like). I'd been meaning to try the bundled tips again since learning better how to insert/fit the W3 and it does appear that the cause of most of the harsh sibilance I was previosuly hearing with these tips installed was down to poor fit and/or seal.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #1,170 of 2,117
Quote:

Try all the tips, of course, but be sure to try the acoustic EQ and tri-flange combo on your iPod.

I use the acoustic setting sometimes on my ie8, seems to tone the bass down a bit and boost the highs.
biggrin.gif
I Don't seem to get much distortion from that eq setting either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back