REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Mar 17, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #1,096 of 2,117
After having my tennis bag stolen, with my rackets, Sony A818 and UM2's (total of $800)
confused_face.gif
I've finally recouped and I think after I save up a bit I might get myself a pair of W3's. I was happy with my UM2 but if the W3 is mouth droppingly amazing I might as well save the extra 100 and buy that? What do you guys think? I've got a ton to save up so I have time to make my decision.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #1,097 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverknit3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having my tennis bag stolen, with my rackets, Sony A818 and UM2's (total of $800)
confused_face.gif
I've finally recouped and I think after I save up a bit I might get myself a pair of W3's. I was happy with my UM2 but if the W3 is mouth droppingly amazing I might as well save the extra 100 and buy that? What do you guys think? I've got a ton to save up so I have time to make my decision.

I think it makes sense to get the W3 instead of UM2, but that's just my opinion.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #1,098 of 2,117
Hi all, pretty new here.Mainly listen to jpop, jrock, alternative and acoustic, ocassionally some piano and english pop. How well does the w3 handle such genres?

Also, have heard of W3s having some issues with sibilance. May someone explain to me what exactly is that? Thanks.

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #1,099 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, pretty new here.Mainly listen to jpop, jrock, alternative and acoustic, ocassionally some piano and english pop. How well does the w3 handle such genres?

Also, have heard of W3s having some issues with sibilance. May someone explain to me what exactly is that? Thanks.

The W3's will do well with all those genres. In fact, it has done well with all genres that I've thrown at it.

Sibilance is when the highs or mids can take on a harsh and often whistling sort of sound. With the highs, it's when it sounds like a piercing sssssss, that can be uncomfortably harsh or a distortion of the sound, of sorts.

I've encountered this, but only with particular recordings. When I listen to the recordings on my HD 650's, though there's no sibilance, I can hear the reason why the W3 could possibly produce the effect.

In my overall experience with the W3, I consider this to be a small point. However, there are those who consider otherwise, with sibilance being a troublesome feature.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #1,100 of 2,117
^ I've managed to eliminate some sibilance from my W3's by EQ'ing the 6.3 kHz band 1 notch down on my S639F. It still sounds good, and the harsh sss's that I can hear are little to none now.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #1,101 of 2,117
Quote:

confused_face.gif

If there's any way to try the W3s first, I would highly recommend it. I would also think about what you liked about the UM2s.

I upgraded from UM2s, to W3s. I sold the UM2s, so my opinions of the sound are from memory and won't be too detailed. As far as sound quality goes I feel it was a definite upgrade (easily worth $100). I've had no sibilance issues with either IEM. Bass is definitely fuller and more textured with the W3s. I feel like midrange is just slightly less prominent with the W3s, and highs are basically the same. The W3s get better and better the more I listen to them, but I felt that about the UM2s as well.

One of the things I liked most about the UM2s was their design. They fit me perfectly. I didn't have to fuss with different tips (used shure olives). The cable was fantastic, and they just "dissappeared" in my ears after a few minutes. No discomfort, no itchiness, no fiddling around to get the fit just right. To me the W3s are a step down in that aspect. The thicker body, and shorter nozzles make a good fit a little more difficult to achieve and maintain. Tip selection is really important with the W3s. They get a little itchy, and they are just a tiny bit too thick to wear when I'm laying in bed on my side. They do have the same great cable, so that is a wash.

To me the sound quality upgrade was totally worth it. But, if I had never heard them, I wouldn't miss them and would be perfectly satisfied with UM2s (head-fi hype aside).

One other note, I use the W3s with a 2nd generation iPod touch, unamped, so the synergy with your source might be different.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but hopefully my impressions are helpful for you.

Thanks!
George

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #1,102 of 2,117
Arter only a few hours with the w3's I am definately sure that this is my most important investment of the year. Somehow I get a comfortable fit with most of the tips that came in the box.

I have to say that I LOVE how they sound! TOOL, Massive Attack, Jack Johnson, Sade & Eva Cassidy has never sounded better! Next thing I'll throw at them are some Daft Punk
smily_headphones1.gif
they seem to handle every type of music great.

Un-amped lossless music from my iPhone 3G is my new drug

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #1,103 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jshalvorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arter only a few hours with the w3's I am definately sure that this is my most important investment of the year. Somehow I get a comfortable fit with most of the tips that came in the box.

I have to say that I LOVE how they sound! TOOL, Massive Attack, Jack Johnson, Sade & Eva Cassidy has never sounded better! Next thing I'll throw at them are some Daft Punk
smily_headphones1.gif
they seem to handle every type of music great.

Un-amped lossless music from my iPhone 3G is my new drug

I can endorse the W3 sounding great with Tool and Massive Attack.

After a while, when the euphoria of the step up in sound has worn off, samsara will kick in and you'll become more discriminating. First, you'll start hearing differences between the tips. Then you'll begin wondering if the sound can get better than it already is... which it can!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #1,104 of 2,117
where do u guys buy the westone 3's? are there any legit westone 3 dealers other than amazon? where do u guys buy ur westone 3's from? and are they all about the same price? wheres the cheapest?

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #1,105 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where do u guys buy the westone 3's? are there any legit westone 3 dealers other than amazon? where do u guys buy ur westone 3's from? and are they all about the same price? wheres the cheapest?

I did purchase mine through Amazon so.....

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #1,106 of 2,117
Headphone Solution.

-Ed

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #1,107 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got mine at FMA Solutions. I believe that is earphone solutions ebay store. Microsoft live search cashback was actually worth something when i bought mine, which is why I purchased that way.

I bought my UM2s direct from westone.com. I think it ended up costing me a little more, because they don't offer free shipping like some other sites, but they also offered a 30-day no restocking fee, return policy (check with them first for current policy). The other sites I looked at charged a re-stocking fee, and i wasn't sure I was going to keep them.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #1,108 of 2,117
I hate you guys so much. I wanted a new laptop but you guys are making the W3's sound so tempting. To add a little cherry on top, a Westone authorized dealer is offering me a pair for a mere $327. Life sucks for my wallet. Guess I have to start saving.
triportsad.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #1,109 of 2,117
Quote:

I hate you guys so much. I wanted a new laptop but you guys are making the W3's sound so tempting. To add a little cherry on top, a Westone authorized dealer is offering me a pair for a mere $327. Life sucks for my wallet. Guess I have to start saving.
triportsad.gif

That is a good deal - you should jump on it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back