Review: VSonic GR07 - Dynamic Monitors? Check!
Apr 28, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #46 of 116
Yea, I notice sibilance only when listening to music loud. But at low level to moderate volume, its fine. The re-262 on the other hand managed to smooth out everything even at loud volumes but I feel it cant do sub bass as well as GR07.   

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #47 of 116

Quote:
Lower the volume? I didn't think it was too loud, but I will try that too. If you have to listen at medium to quiet, that does reduce the effectiveness of using the GR-07s outside in ambient situations. That might be a problem, but too early to jump to conclusions. I will keep at the burn in and see where it goes. They do sound very good, so this is not meant as a criticism, just an observation. But that report of 300 hours and not much change has me concerned, I must admit.

That obviously depends where the ambience is. GR07 should provides -20dB+ of isolation so unless you are in a very loud environment, said in front of a live band or using a chainsaw, I doubt you really need to turn up the volume the much.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #48 of 116
how does it compare to 262? It looks like both have similar sound signature. warm and balance.
price is also similar and ljokerl said score will be around 9.4 which more less the same with 262.
Will it coexists with 262?
I love 262 as well as SM3. Do not know why still eyeing on this? poison headfi :)

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #49 of 116

Quote:
how does it compare to 262? It looks like both have similar sound signature. warm and balance.
price is also similar and ljokerl said score will be around 9.4 which more less the same with 262.
Will it coexists with 262?
I love 262 as well as SM3. Do not know why still eyeing on this? poison headfi :)

I think they can coexist very well - the RE262 is lush, smooth, warm, and sweet. The GR07 is balanced and accurate. It has more treble authority than the 262 and is flatter down low. It is warm, but very slightly. Closer in signature to the RE252 but in technical ability to the 262 IMO, and the 262 has one of the best dynamic drivers I've ever come across (right up there with the FX700).

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #50 of 116
I just received my GR07 today, been listening for the past ten minutes or so. My first impressions - I agree with pretty much everything joker and ClieOS have said about these earphones. This is the first time I've purchased something new since my Altec-Lansing iM716s over five years ago, so this may be affecting my view of them, but they truly sound like dynamic monitors in that they're balanced across the entire range, but still have "dynamic character" - natural timbre, a somewhat-wide soundstage, lots of air, and unfortunately a dynamic "slowness" that is just part of the character. Still, despite them being somewhat slow compared to my preferred BAs, the GR07s are doing quite nicely in their ears for now. The sibilance is surprisingly not a big problem, and I'm generally quite picky about my treble. Hopefully over the next couple hundred hours the diaphragm loosens up and speeds up as it has time to stretch. It currently sounds kind of "un-burnt-in". I'm looking forward to seeing how they progress.

My favorite part about the GR07s is that they don't have any quirks - the cable is AWESOME (supple, yet thick, relatively little microphonic character, just the right length and textured perfectly), the nozzles MOVE (they are so comfortable with the nozzle movement and soft cable... and the included ear guides are another plus, although I'll probably stick to my phonak guides), and they have a nice right-angle plug. VSonic included a very nice selection of accessories, as well - a carrying case, hard rubber ear guides, two sets of biflanges, three single flanges, and a set of Complys. If I had any beefs it would be that the Y-split is a little lower than I'd like, and there's no mic...

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #51 of 116
Maybe I missed something (not unusual  
redface.gif
)...

When did these go from 'sub-$100' to $155 (US)?
And at a 55% price increase, are they still worthwhile or would others be more attractive?

Just curious.

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #52 of 116

Quote:
Maybe I missed something (not unusual  
redface.gif
)...

When did these go from 'sub-$100' to $155 (US)?
And at a 55% price increase, are they still worthwhile or would others be more attractive?

Just curious.

I think they were always $150ish?

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #54 of 116
Right... got it. I went back and looked... and I DID misread |joker|'s statement.

Thanks for the clarification.

May 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #55 of 116
Has anyone been able to compare the GR07 with the Klipsch Custom 3 on sound quality merits alone? My impressions of the KC3 is that it's a nicely balanced BA, leaning to the darker side. My impressions of the GR07 are that it's a very neutral, slightly warmish, with a good amount of dynamic character and texture/thickness. Does anyone prefer one over the other?

May 2, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #57 of 116
These are very interesting. Sighs. The HJE900s I love so much are failing me since someone forcibly tried to open them lol, although the only issue is that one of the internal wires is disconnected and i need to resolder, it's just a small space to do so. Anyway these are complicating my decision to go with a good mid-fi fullsize, as they sound alot like my Samson SR850s in mobile form. I would very much like to have a working pair of IEMs with a similar signature and what seems like good build quality.

May 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #58 of 116
well i currently have the samson n the gr07. To me the samson feels kinda uncomfortable but the gr07 nv have ths problem. Very comfortable no hot pads too haha. I prefer my gr07 over the samson but could be due to the fact that i haven fully buy in the samson and also i m too used to iems. I feel that the gr07 sounds better, love the bass n soundstage. It's not quantity base but it sure is quality. To compare them closely i would have to listen more on the samson i think i have only heard them for less than 8hrs in total. If u are interested i can maybe do some detailed comparison for u. The Gr07 made me feel like i made a good decision in buying them but not really so for the samson. But do take note, the gr07 would not give u a wow effect straight out of box or even when u audition them for the first time. But after listening n comparing them thru diff tracks n phones u will definitely agree that they are very well made n sound superb.

May 3, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #60 of 116
Hmm, interesting how 3 members have purchased or considered purchasing the GR07 and the Samsons lol, perhaps because they are both seen as good budget options with a somewhat neutral but impactful sound. How long have you had your samson for? Personal sound preferences aside, I think the SR850s are pretty much on the same level as(if not better than) the M50s sonically, they just present the sound slightly differently. Funny how some people have found them too full and EQd them down, while others find it not full enough. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Do you mind saying how the CKM99 compares to the GR07 and what genres you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back