Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 12, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #241 of 723
This is probably a rather silly question, but here I go...

I got one of those LD MKIII amps purely for aesthetic reasons, I know that my equipment doesn't justify the purchase. I just love the looks of a glowing tube amp in my room.

My only good headphone (as of now) is a pair of UE Triple.fis. When I tried them with the amp I frankly couldn't hear anything special (e.g. the tube-characteristic sound they all speak about). It sounded great, but not really that much different than if I was using the source directly (analog out of a squeezebox3).

Now, my explanation is this: Since those Triple.fis are very sensitive, there isn't that much work the MKIII can do here. Would you agree that an amp like this only shines through full sized cans?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #242 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the pins on the small tubes first. Are they discolored and corroded? I bet they need cleaning. Deoxit or any other tuner/electronics cleaner and an old tooth brush, will make them like new again.

If the smaller tubes are nasty, the larger tubes may be as well, so I'd clean them also. You may find that this cleaning fixes all of the problems you are having.
smily_headphones1.gif

The static problems maybe, but not the dead channel, as it is dead with both the left and the right tube sets
frown.gif

I swapped them, and in both cases the left channel was silent. Actually it was not completely silent, when I connected my iBuds and turned the volume *way* up some music was faintly audible. At safe listening volumes, the left channel is silent.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #243 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiefahrzeug /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got one of those LD MKIII amps purely for aesthetic reasons, I know that my equipment doesn't justify the purchase. I just love the looks of a glowing tube amp in my room.

My only good headphone (as of now) is a pair of UE Triple.fis. When I tried them with the amp I frankly couldn't hear anything special (e.g. the tube-characteristic sound they all speak about). It sounded great, but not really that much different than if I was using the source directly (analog out of a squeezebox3).

Now, my explanation is this: Since those Triple.fis are very sensitive, there isn't that much work the MKIII can do here. Would you agree that an amp like this only shines through full sized cans?

This where this game gets interesting or expensive
tongue.gif
To truly "hear" this amp you need a set of cans to match its quality. A shameless plug for the Senn HD580 (modded) is my rig with this amp
biggrin.gif
. Uniquely matched after a bit of upgrading on the phones and tubes.. Budget: who cares now-lost count!!!

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #244 of 723
Quote:

A good source to feed this puppy should be high on the list too! Don't leave anything to chance

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #245 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirickle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The static problems maybe, but not the dead channel, as it is dead with both the left and the right tube sets
frown.gif

I swapped them, and in both cases the left channel was silent. Actually it was not completely silent, when I connected my iBuds and turned the volume *way* up some music was faintly audible. At safe listening volumes, the left channel is silent.

Ow, ok. I didn't realize it was "that dead".
smily_headphones1.gif
Let us know when you get it back/replaced.

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #246 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirickle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

A number of things could cause this problem, back in the dark and olden days of LDII+ there used to be a persistent problem with blowing voltage regulators that would kill a channel but that's supposed to be fixed with the Mk series. A blown capacitor could also be the culprit too but in any case I would contact LD for a warranty replacement being that the way LD amps are constructed it's not easy to fix bugs yourself.

- DoA

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #247 of 723
Quote:

I actually disagree with the notion that low impedance headphones (like the triple-fi) do not benefit from good amplification. While it is true that full-sized headphones 'need' the extra power to perform adequately, small headphones can nonetheless benefit from the lowered noise floor and better separation and soundstage. Not to mention the pleasant tube amp 'sound' is not lost on small headphones and you can enjoy tube rolling and benefit that as well since the improved quality of tubes can be heard from headphones big or small.

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #249 of 723
Either amp brand is a good choice for the HD650's. I can't speak for the D5000's since I've never owned a set.

That didn't help much did it ?
smily_headphones1.gif

The MK III and HD650's are a great match and it is what I have
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #250 of 723
Thanks for the answers headcheck and Dept_of_Alchemy.

I do agree that there is a difference comparing this amp vs non amped setup with the triple fis. But to me it's not substantial (enough).

Regarding my source: Do you think that an SB3 is not such a good noisemaker? I'd be quite interested to pimp up on that department as well. I still don't feel like I have enough stuff cluttering up my room anyways.

headcheck: I was thinking of getting a HD650. What kind of mod did you do to your HD580? Anything that wouldn't be possible with the 650?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #252 of 723
Hi,
I need a new amp for my ATH-W100... how good is the LDIII with low impedance headphones?! Would it work fine with my W100?

Best regards,
bearmann

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #253 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I need a new amp for my ATH-W100... how good is the LDIII with low impedance headphones?! Would it work fine with my W100?

Best regards,
bearmann

It works wonderfully with my MS2i which is 32ohms. The MkIII has switches for adjusting the gain to match your needs.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #254 of 723
Thanks penchum for the original review of the LDMkIII - I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and just grin form ear to ear listing with my 580s - even from average sources. The soundstage and separation is amazing - I'm picking individual instruments on recordings I've heard dozens of times before with a range of cans (but not necessarily good amplification).

For the Aussies, I've had great dealings with our local distributor, COEM Audio. The first unit had a buzz (seemed to be an earthing/grounding issue) and was swapped immediately with postage paid.

Kent

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #255 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by inego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks penchum for the original review of the LDMkIII - I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and just grin form ear to ear listing with my 580s - even from average sources. The soundstage and separation is amazing - I'm picking individual instruments on recordings I've heard dozens of times before with a range of cans (but not necessarily good amplification).

For the Aussies, I've had great dealings with our local distributor, COEM Audio. The first unit had a buzz (seemed to be an earthing/grounding issue) and was swapped immediately with postage paid.

Kent

Thanks Kent! Welcome to the world of quality audio for less. Even after thousands of hours listening, I still get a grin from my MKIII. It's a great little tube amp!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back