Review of the Little-Dot MKIII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #271 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, the Senn's have probably won over your ears, brain and heart. I don't find this surprising, because I love their sound with the MKIII. Heck, I love them on all my headphone amps!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm leaning this way, too - just wanted to be sure before I decide to sell them
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #273 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you think the MKIII with the 6H30PI competes against the LD MKIV? They're both the same price then
wink.gif

The MKIV is going to have a leg up, because it is an OTL design, it has more power and better dynamics. That $100 difference buys you a lot more than what the eyes see.
smily_headphones1.gif

The MKIII (after the resistor mod) sounds pretty decent with the EH-6H30PI-Golds. It improves the lower end and gives more realism to the entire spectrum. The only problem with doing the resistor mod, is that it is a one way street. Do it, and you can't use your 6H6N's anymore, unless you de-mod it, or install a switch to change from one set of resistors to another.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #274 of 723
Well, I found this one: link. But I need two right? That would set me back 60EU + shipping which is 100USD
wink.gif

I haven't read upon the MKIV yet. What is an OTL design?

I don't really know what I'm looking for. I think my amp is going to be a LD, either MKIII or MKIV and DAC a KECES DA-131 or DA-151. They will power my DT880s when I get them.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #275 of 723
Quote:

Well, I found this one: link. But I need two right? That would set me back 60EU + shipping which is 100USD
wink.gif

I haven't read upon the MKIV yet. What is an OTL design?

I don't really know what I'm looking for. I think my amp is going to be a LD, either MKIII or MKIV and DAC a KECES DA-131 or DA-151. They will power my DT880s when I get them.

Yes, you would need a pair, so the cost starts jumping up. For a quick read on OTL: Output TransformerLess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #276 of 723
Well that wiki page explains A LOT!!!
rolleyes.gif
Thanks anyway, I'll find out one day, I'm sure
smily_headphones1.gif

I really want the MKIV, but I'm also kind of broke and I want to buy a nice DAC as well.. Damn you head-fi!

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #277 of 723
Quote:

Well that wiki page explains A LOT!!!
rolleyes.gif
Thanks anyway, I'll find out one day, I'm sure
smily_headphones1.gif

I really want the MKIV, but I'm also kind of broke and I want to buy a nice DAC as well.. Damn you head-fi!

I just realized I gave you the wrong link.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry about that. I'll find the right one (I hope), it's in normal speak.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #278 of 723
Penchum if i installed a matched pair of M8161 and a matched pair of
Tung-Sol 6AK5W 5654 is possible put the 4 together o exist any problem.im new a i see 4 tubes 2 bigs 2 little please help and thx
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #279 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4khris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penchum if i installed a matched pair of M8161 and a matched pair of
Tung-Sol 6AK5W 5654 is possible put the 4 together o exist any problem.im new a i see 4 tubes 2 bigs 2 little please help and thx
wink.gif

Well I'm not Penchum but... no. The 4 tubes you describe are driver tubes, which can replace the FRONT (smaller) tubes only. The bigger back tubes are power tubes, and there aren't nearly as many options for tube rolling there. Also, if you use the M8161s you have to put the jumpers on (or use the switches if you have one of the newer MKIIIs).

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #280 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm not Penchum but... no. The 4 tubes you describe are driver tubes, which can replace the FRONT (smaller) tubes only. The bigger back tubes are power tubes, and there aren't nearly as many options for tube rolling there. Also, if you use the M8161s you have to put the jumpers on (or use the switches if you have one of the newer MKIIIs).

X2! Better than I could have said.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #282 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4khris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thx any recomendation to pair with m8161 and th e tung sol?
i really apprecited your knowledge
wink.gif

...I'm not sure what you mean by this. Scottie and Penchum just pointed out that those two tubes you're talking about are driver tubes and can only replace the two 'front' tubes on the MKIII. You can use either the M8161 *OR* the Tung Sol's (I'm guessing by those you mean the 6AK5). You have to use the same type of tube in both the left and right socket, so you can not use both at the same time.

The 'rear' tubes on the MKIII can only be replaced with 6H6n (or equivalent) power tubes and as far as I know (outside of a resistor modification) nothing else can be used.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #283 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by corigan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 'rear' tubes on the MKIII can only be replaced with 6H6n (or equivalent) power tubes and as far as I know (outside of a resistor modification) nothing else can be used.

You could upgrade to the 6H6P-I on the power tubes front. As far as the driver tubes the M8161 and Tung-Sol 6AK5 are not the same family of tubes (M8161 requires the jumpers to be installed). Personally I prefer the M8161 of the two.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #285 of 723
What an unbelievable amp for the price! I thought my Yamaha stereo amplifier's headphone out was quite good, but that was before i switched the Little Dot on. It clearly beats the Yamaha in every way. Especially in bass, highs, mids, sound stage and details, oh was that all...
k701smile.gif

With these details in the music, it sometimes really feels that i'm actually sitting in the front row. Also, it was really funny to listen one recording, where was a small clip of cafeteria sounds in the background. I have listened that with many hifi systems and heard nothing special, but with Little Dot i could clearly hear and understand some sentences in the background clip! I have to mention a bad thing too. I didn't think that so many new recordings still have so much noise in them. And the list of bad mixings/masterings has also grown quite a lot in the last couple of days
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I could write a long story about other things in the sound, but as most of them are already mentioned here, i think i'm just going to enjoy more of the burn-in process.
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw. can't wait to try some tube rolling, so if anyone has a hint where to get Sylvania 5654W with black halos or GB-5654, please reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back