Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 17, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #46 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, we know for sure the HD-580 & 650. I'd really like to hear what K701s would sound like in the MKII. I have a feeling that the EF95 family of tubes would be great with them. Thinking of taking one for the team?
biggrin.gif

Might be
rolleyes.gif

So which one to get? 2nd hand LD 2++ or MK II
and which tubes give the best out of this amp possible?
I wanna try the Tube Lushness, and perhaps enjoying my first eargasm.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #47 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danika k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they compare with the GE 5 Stars? I'm thinking about getting a matched pair of the 5 Star since I read that they sound a lot better than the stock tubes...
redface.gif

I haven't AB'd them, but they are both great!! Hard to find some times too, so get what you can!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #48 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might be
rolleyes.gif

So which one to get? 2nd hand LD 2++ or MK II
and which tubes give the best out of this amp possible?
I wanna try the Tube Lushness, and perhaps enjoying my first eargasm.
biggrin.gif

In that case, either the LDII++, or the MKII in EF92 mode, with the tubes I used in the review. Both will make you sit and wonder what happened!
wink.gif

The MKII has twice the possible tube combinations for you to play with, so it is hard not to recommend it. At the costs involved, everybody wins!
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #49 of 659
Oh my God, my head confused... is there any idiot proof guide for Tube-Rolling?

Anyway, since EF92 has a lot of brands, so which one is the best?
Mullard? and should both power tubes and driver tubes using same families?

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #50 of 659
Quote:

Anyway, since EF92 has a lot of brands, so which one is the best?
Mullard? and should both power tubes and driver tubes using same families?

Usually the best power tubes are Russian. You can find them on eBay for cheap! The driver tubes are what changes with the compatibility modes. If you are going to try EF92 mode, then Mullard 6CQ6 are a favorite of many here. However, I recommend getting the amp, break it in, and become familiar with it in EF95 mode first, this is the default. This will give you time to shop and get tubes on the way. The sound after everything has matured in EF95 mode is actually very, very nice.
smily_headphones1.gif
Then you can try the EF92 mode with your new tubes and break them in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #51 of 659
Quote:

I'm working on a semi-comprehensive Little Dot tube rolling guide, I'll post it when it's ready but in the meantime send me a PM if you have specific questions.
wink.gif

Quote:

Anyway, since EF92 has a lot of brands, so which one is the best? Mullard? and should both power tubes and driver tubes using same families?

I would start with Mullard M8161 for the EF92, but make sure that it has the Mullard shield printed on the tube. As to where to find them, I've gotten some pretty good tubes and service from this seller on ebay, there might be other sources as well.

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #52 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm working on a semi-comprehensive Little Dot tube rolling guide, I'll post it when it's ready but in the meantime send me a PM if you have specific questions.
wink.gif

I would start with Mullard M8161 for the EF92, but make sure that it has the Mullard shield printed on the tube. As to where to find them, I've gotten some pretty good tubes and service from this seller on ebay, there might be other sources as well.

I agree with the seller DoA has pointed out. He usually has a great selection and his tubes are the best quality I have seen on ebay so far.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #53 of 659
Hmm, I’m very undecided as to whether or not to get this amp. I would love to try out some EF95’s, but it sounds like the MKII has a sound very similar to the LDII++. When I originally bought my LDII++ I expected something of an upgrade over my earlier LDII+ unit, but ended up preferring the LDII+ unit even after setting up the LDII++ with russian 6C19P-V tubes and Mullard M8161’s. My best guess as to my preference between the two units is the difference in power tube design with the LDII+ using DHT tubes, but it sounds like the MKII is another Indirectly heated design. I’ll probably end up getting one, but it’ll be a shame if it ends up with the same fate as my LDII++, which I usually only use while I’m waiting for my LDII+ to cool down so I can swap tubes.

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #54 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by GotNoRice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I’m very undecided as to whether or not to get this amp. I would love to try out some EF95’s, but it sounds like the MKII has a sound very similar to the LDII++. When I originally bought my LDII++ I expected something of an upgrade over my earlier LDII+ unit, but ended up preferring the LDII+ unit even after setting up the LDII++ with russian 6C19P-V tubes and Mullard M8161’s. My best guess as to my preference between the two units is the difference in power tube design with the LDII+ using DHT tubes, but it sounds like the MKII is another Indirectly heated design. I’ll probably end up getting one, but it’ll be a shame if it ends up with the same fate as my LDII++, which I usually only use while I’m waiting for my LDII+ to cool down so I can swap tubes.

Hi! In EF92 mode, they can sound similar, but in EF95 mode, the MKII sounds more like the MKIII, which in your case, could be a good thing!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #55 of 659
Just a quick update. I have acquired a set of 5 Mullard 8100 driver tubes for the EF95 mode. After a few days, I'm pleased to tell you they sound wonderful. Very "Mullard" sounding and a real nice tube upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #57 of 659
Jan 20, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #58 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick update. I have acquired a set of 5 Mullard 8100 driver tubes for the EF95 mode. After a few days, I'm pleased to tell you they sound wonderful. Very "Mullard" sounding and a real nice tube upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Rats! He doesn't have them listed anymore. Must have sold out.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #59 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Hey DoA, do the M8161 tubes work in the MKIII???

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #60 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey DoA, do the M8161 tubes work in the MKIII???

They do and they work VERY well.
wink.gif

They are made by Mullard and are the military version of EF92. They're my favorite EF92's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back