Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 23, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #646 of 659
LD_MK_II_gain.png

according to the manual the average gain is also completely wrong, in fact I tried likelike the image above this and on the left I hear loud and on the right much less, so switch 1 = 1 on 2 off and switch 2 = 1 off and 2 onso it will be average gain

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #647 of 659
LD_MK_II_gain.png
according to the manual the average gain is also completely wrong, in fact I tried likelike the image above this and on the left I hear loud and on the right much less, so switch 1 = 1 on 2 off and switch 2 = 1 off and 2 onso it will be average gain
Are you sure that this manual is for your version of the Little Dot MK2? There were a few different versions over the course of its production run. You may need a different manual. This would explain why you're not hearing the right volume changes when you adjust the dip switches.

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #648 of 659
I connected little dot mk2 as preamp to asgard3 as power amp and therefore with a DAC output I use 2 amplifiers, I must say that the little sounds clean and full-bodied and the asgard 3 "power amp" sounds wider but not as full-bodied as the little dot I am happy with this configuration and I can immediately switch between amps.

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #649 of 659
I connected little dot mk2 as preamp to asgard3 as power amp and therefore with a DAC output I use 2 amplifiers, I must say that the little sounds clean and full-bodied and the asgard 3 "power amp" sounds wider but not as full-bodied as the little dot I am happy with this configuration and I can immediately switch between amps.
They're both well designed headphone amplifiers, so it makes sense that they would work well as a preamp/amp combination.
Glad that you're enjoying them. 😊

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #651 of 659
Has anyone tried hifiman sundara with little dot mk2, how does it sound?
Hi, I have not tried it with a Sundara but with the Hifiman Edition XS (18 Ohm) and with a Hifiman HE-4XX (35 Ohm).
Both sound very nice.

(I am new to the LD MKII.... have not had the time for a proper burn-in...)

Tubes:
powertubes - original (ordered better Russian pair, not arrived yet)
pretubes - GE JAN 5654

Source:

Pro-ject RPM 5.1 - Ortofon MC Quintet-red - Cambridge DUO

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #652 of 659
I don't think the sundara's will sound good on this amp.

I have since sold my little dot Mark 2 and purchased a 708 B amplifier it's a headphone amp / preamp it totally destroys the little dot mark 2 in every way and it's the same price.

It's more for at least 150 ohm headphones and up but it has more power than the little dot mark 2 and it just has a better sound if you Google 708 B headphone amp you will find a few threads on it I actually bought one and it's an incredible headphone amp for the money.

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #653 of 659
I don't think the sundara's will sound good on this amp.

I have since sold my little dot Mark 2 and purchased a 708 B amplifier it's a headphone amp / preamp it totally destroys the little dot mark 2 in every way and it's the same price.

It's more for at least 150 ohm headphones and up but it has more power than the little dot mark 2 and it just has a better sound if you Google 708 B headphone amp you will find a few threads on it I actually bought one and it's an incredible headphone amp for the money.
As an OTL design the Little Dot MK 2 works well with high impedance headphones like the Sennheisser HD600 and HD 650.
I tried it with lower impedance headphones including the Hifiman HE4XX planars and did not find it to be a good match with them.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #655 of 659
Hi, has anyone a clue if this cricket can decently power an LCD 2?
Based on my experience with low impedance planars I think the Little Dot could power the LCD 2 but not particularly well.
IMO the LCD 2 needs a better HEADPHONE amplifier with a lot more current. The Little Dot does surprisingly well with high
impedance dynamic headphones like the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650/6XX. Not surprising given that it's an OTL circuit.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #657 of 659
I'd also like to ask how to burn a tube amp like this in? Haven't had any before. Is it ok to just turn it on or should it also be fed by a signal?
I'd use a source (streaming or even a CD player placed on repeat) and keep a pair of headphones plugged in. If the tubes are new
I'd say within a day or two they should be sounding significantly better than when first turning the Little Dot on. Its a great HEADPHONE amplifier for the money. Hope you enjoy it! 👍

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #659 of 659
Just got a MKii (used, but previous owner said they only used it for 5-10 hours) and I almost immediately noticed the left and right channels are reversed. Is there anything that could be causing this or is the wiring just off on my unit?

I'll say I find the layout of the input/output on the back to be less than ideal (though I've seen the same layout before), but I'm pretty sure I have it right unless it's really unintuitive.

This is my first tube amp (I do have a tube pre-amp for my record player, though), so any suggestions or explanations are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back