Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 13, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #16 of 659
How does this MKII compared to your MKIVSE? "_"

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #17 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry man, I was desperate!
eek.gif
I'll keep you in mind and if I end up with extras, I'll work a deal with you. I figured this was going to happen eventually!
biggrin.gif

Great please do!! Been sweating on a fresh set for awhile. In the mean time the RCA 6AK5 are on the way. Us head-fier are all alike. If not enjoying our set up, we seek things to improve them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #18 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm interested in that aspect too...

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #20 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, i've said it once before but you were made for review writing man!

bloody good job =) although I couldn't give a rat's about the amp people can learn a thing or two from your writing style

Thanks d-cee! Coming from you, it means a lot to me.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 659
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in that aspect too...

Well, we have to remember what we are talking about here. Entry level model vs top of the line model, same company. Its not even a fair comparison. Even the MKIII is going to beat out the MKII on a sunny day. This is as it should be. However, the MKII represents a higher level of quality (at entry level) in all aspects, for the same price point. This should have the competition scrambling to figure out what the heck just happened! I can easily see the MKII beating or matching most of the competition's second line units, at half the cost or better.
biggrin.gif

This is what happens when people (even in China) are empowered to be creative and they infuse quality into a brand new product line, from top to bottom.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 659
So you do get noticeable improvement with MKII vs. MKIV SE?

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #23 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you do get noticeable improvement with MKII vs. MKIV SE?

If you mean "is there a substantial difference between the MKII and MKIVse"?
You bet there is. Several levels higher! The MKIVse is a true OTL amp design filled with the best 1% componants on the market. It directly competes with headphone amps costing $800 and higher. It is worth twice what they ask for it. It is the bomb!
biggrin.gif
Match up the MKIVse to a clean quality source and you will get goose bumps everytime you listen to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #24 of 659
Hmmm... Can't wait to hear my Zero and MKIV SE. I'm glad that I bought OPA627's and DY2000 so I can adjust the sound coming from Zero.

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, looks like this amp is under £110 delivered to my door (in the UK). That's very good value. Still think I'll go with the Figaro for my first amp though...

Well, thats ok. I haven't heard the Figaro, so I shouldn't comment much. I was surprised that you can't see the two tubes because they are inside the amp! Have a good one!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #27 of 659
Quote:

Well, we have to remember what we are talking about here. Entry level model vs top of the line model, same company. Its not even a fair comparison. Even the MKIII is going to beat out the MKII on a sunny day. This is as it should be. However, the MKII represents a higher level of quality (at entry level) in all aspects, for the same price point. This should have the competition scrambling to figure out what the heck just happened! I can easily see the MKII beating or matching most of the competition's second line units, at half the cost or better.
biggrin.gif

This is what happens when people (even in China) are empowered to be creative and they infuse quality into a brand new product line, from top to bottom.
biggrin.gif

Actually, I was asking this question because I heard LD 2++ has a unique sound signature, which my friend *bozz_Keren* called "Very Warm Lushy Tubey Sound", and he himself own MKIV but the amp doesn't produce that kind of sonic characteristic.

I'm personally interested to get the old LD 2++, just to give it a try, what "Tubey" sound should be. I tried Darkvoice 336i and Millet Hybrid Max, but they just sound normal as solid state amp? and based on my conversation with my friend, LD MKIV is very similar to SS amp as well.

So I wonder this MKII still borrowing the lush tubey sound that previously produced by it's predecessors, LD 2+.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #28 of 659
Quote:

Actually, I was asking this question because I heard LD 2++ has a unique sound signature, which my friend *bozz_Keren* called "Very Warm Lushy Tubey Sound", and he himself own MKIV but the amp doesn't produce that kind of sonic characteristic.

I'm personally interested to get the old LD 2++, just to give it a try, what "Tubey" sound should be. I tried Darkvoice 336i and Millet Hybrid Max, but they just sound normal as solid state amp? and based on my conversation with my friend, LD MKIV is very similar to SS amp as well.

So I wonder this MKII still borrowing the lush tubey sound that previously produced by it's predecessors, LD 2+.

I see. If you had asked it this way, I would have picked up on what you were looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif
Here is a quote from my review:

"I got out my spare Mullard 6CQ6 (EF92) NOS driver tubes and a pair of Russian 6N6P “Soyuz” NOS power tubes. This set levels the playing field. My LDII++ has Russian 6C19pi NOS power tubes and Mullard M8161 (EF92) NOS driver tubes. All of these tubes have been previously “matured” and I can start listening immediately. This is as close as the MKII gets to sounding like the older LDII++. They sound so close to each other that only slight differences in sound signature exist between the two."

The configuration above was as close as I could get with the tubes I had. It did indeed sound extremely close to that same "Lush, Tubey Sound" that LDII++ owners like myself have been spoiled with.

To be clear though, that sound signature the LDII++ has is so unique, it is almost a freak of nature. More expensive amps, better components, different brands, tons of tubes and whatever a person can get there hands on, will not reproduce that unique sound. Lush, Tubey Sound comes from added distortion and the combination is just perfect for the LDII++ to blow peoples minds. The MKII is so close, I'm not sure that many would hear the difference.
This is what makes the MKII special. It honors the old sound almost perfect, and embraces the newer sound (EF95) with it's own special signature.

Have a good one!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #29 of 659
Quote:

I think the sonic characteristics has a lot to do with the tube compliments that you're using on the amp. The discontinued LDII+ for instance uses the 4P1S tube which is a directly heated triode while the 6C19Pi on the LDII++ is indirectly heated which accounts for some of the sonic differences.

That said, I expect the MKII to sound simiar to the LDII++ if the EF92 family of tubes were used.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #30 of 659
Quote:

Well, thats ok. I haven't heard the Figaro, so I shouldn't comment much. I was surprised that you can't see the two tubes because they are inside the amp! Have a good one!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Penchum, that surprised me about the Figaro also!! One of the joys of owning a tube amp is watching those puppies glow while you are in sonic heaven!

But...to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back