Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 21, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #61 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the seller DoA has pointed out. He usually has a great selection and his tubes are the best quality I have seen on ebay so far.

Thanks Penchum, you mentioned him a while ago and I took your advice and bought some tubes from him and they're great! Man, tube rolling is so much fun. I'm curious about which of his current tubes would you recommend?
redface.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #62 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danika k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Penchum, you mentioned him a while ago and I took your advice and bought some tubes from him and they're great! Man, tube rolling is so much fun. I'm curious about which of his current tubes would you recommend?
redface.gif

The GE 5 stars would be nice, also the Amperex. Both of these have excellent properties.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #63 of 659
Quote:

The GE 5 stars would be nice, also the Amperex. Both of these have excellent properties.
biggrin.gif

What Penchum said. I also have a pair of National 403B's and they sound gorgeous, better than the more common Western Electric 403B's in my opinion. I believe they're actually Tung-Sol made tubes branded by National, IIRC. The price seems quite reasonable too considering that it's a NOS matched pair in original boxes and all. It's hard to find 403B's in good condition these days and most of the time 403B's come individually, grossly unbalanced, and are pretty banged up in my experience (learned the hard way from buying from some shady dealers).

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #64 of 659
I've been burning/breaking it in since, 12:30~12:45 PM. AV-710 HQ Alt Out, v4.73b Drivers, OEM mini to Stereo RCA cable, OEM 1/4" Adapter, SR80's, Default Gain, Volume @ 30/100.

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #65 of 659
I find the sound coming out of my headphones being sibilant after using the amp...

Would a change in tubes help (using the stock ones) or should i be looking for a new headphone?

Currently on iPod>mini-RCA>LDMk2>MS1

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #66 of 659
Anyone else's MKII feel very warm to the touch? not HOT..but very warm, top of the case.

Also should I clean the tubes with something to get rid of any finger prints? Of course I'll let the tubes cool before cleaning.

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #67 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else's MKII feel very warm to the touch? not HOT..but very warm, top of the case.

Also should I clean the tubes with something to get rid of any finger prints? Of course I'll let the tubes cool before cleaning.

I think that's normal. Can't remember where i read it but is the case supposed to act like a "giant heat-sink"?

Mine is fairly warm to the touch everywhere except the plastic knob.

I use one of those LCD screen cleaning clothes to wipe off prints on both the glossy casing and the tubes. Works well enough.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #68 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by doubletaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the sound coming out of my headphones being sibilant after using the amp...

Would a change in tubes help (using the stock ones) or should i be looking for a new headphone?

Currently on iPod>mini-RCA>LDMk2>MS1

Quote:

Sounds like you just need some more hours on the amp and tubes. 45-60 brings about most noticeable changes, 100-125 and you'll top out. Yes, the case and transformer housing will get warm, this means it is actually cooling. When the tubes are cold, even glass cleaner will do the trick, just be careful not to wipe off the lettering, or you will have a hard time remembering which tube is which!
biggrin.gif
I looked back at my notes, and the stock tubes did take almost 55 hrs to open up and sound better. But, the question still is valid. Yes, premium tubes will blow your mind. It works out pretty good if you can spend time with the defaults now, while tubes you order or win, are on their way too you. Have fun!
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #69 of 659
Quote:

I've been burning/breaking it in since, 12:30~12:45 PM. AV-710 HQ Alt Out, v4.73b Drivers, OEM mini to Stereo RCA cable, OEM 1/4" Adapter, SR80's, Default Gain, Volume @ 30/100.

Nice Pic!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #70 of 659
Quote:

Nice Pic!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
I also got my Canon A570 IS in the mail today too! Today is a good day!

As they were breaking in, I went shopping and got a Sandisk 4GB SDHC for $30 and a Case Logic for $10 at Office Depot.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #71 of 659
Hey Penchum, exactly what cables came with the Mk II? I need to know if I have to buy an RCA-RCA cable to connect it to my Beresford or if it comes with one. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #73 of 659
Quote:

Yes, premium tubes will blow your mind.

Would the difference be like night and day?

Tube rolling doesn't seem to hurt both ways thou, looks like i have to start my hunt.

Jan 23, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #74 of 659
Mine came with a mini to RCA cable

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #75 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by doubletaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^

I am not Penchum but...

It comes with RCA-RCA cables.
biggrin.gif

I am not Penchum either but I just want to say that the RCA-RCA cables the LDs came with are actually of pretty good quality. I would say retail for those cables in the US would probably be worth $10. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw them since I was expecting some cheap freebies, it's a nice touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back