Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Sep 2, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #1,218 of 1,252
Anyone tried the AD797 in the Fun? I keep coming across this as some sort of pinnacle opamp, but apparent highly unstable in unsuitable topologies (derp). This thing ain't cheap either.

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #1,219 of 1,252

Quote:
 SRH-840, k701 and ATH-A700 and all of them like this op-amp most. Linear FR, natural highs, superb bass impact, good soundstage. Far more suitable for my current headphones than the flat and bass-less Earth 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Try it

The opa earth isn't what I'd call "bass-less", pretty much all three of your headphones are however.... which means that the LME49860NA will probably add lower mids and lows. olor1n, that would make your hd650 sound waaaay to bassy and maybe too warm, but it may sound good with your lcd-2's (if they didn't deliver enough bass for you already)

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #1,220 of 1,252
Yeah I wouldn't say Earth is bass light either, but I do find instruments lack some weight and impact compared to the ada4627-1brz. It did occur to me that his cans may require a boost in the lower regions, but the LME is cheap and I'm curious to see if I can find some more magic with it and the right tube combination in the Lyr.

And yes, the LCD-2 delivers adequate bass. Lol.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #1,221 of 1,252
Finally received the lme49860na. I'm using the Fun purely as a dac into the Lyr. I like this opamp. It's very similar to the ada 4627-1brz in that it presents instruments with more weight than the Audio-GD hdams, but it somewhat lacks the bottom end extension of that opamp. However, it does seem more balanced across the spectrum as a result. I don't think it's quite as resolving but the high end is smoother, and there's a nice sense of space and air, particularly around the more forward vocals. Soundstage isn't as wide and imaging isn't as exaggerated, though the overall presentation seems more coherent. I wish I'd tried the lme49860na sooner.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #1,222 of 1,252
Hi there "Fun" People!

Just wondering if anyone has hooked up the Fun to a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT-1350's and if so what's the verdict please?

I am thinking of upgrading from my HiFiMan EF2A & FiiO E7 combo to one of these units but I would like some opinions first if possible please.

(reason I am upgrading is that the EF2A gain is a nightmare and it has to go)

Also looking on the Audio-GD site there is only A variant available nowadays, I will be using it USB so the SPDIF modules aren't a concern, but I am curious about the differing Opamp modules and would like to know which would suit the 1350's the best, I listen to a wide variety of high quality recordings from Diana Krall, to Depeche Mode, to Kate Bush, quite a diverse taste I know, but I love to hear a well engineered / produced album.

Many thanks in advance of any replies,

Sys

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #1,223 of 1,252
Hey Sysagent,

I will actually be able to give you my impressions in 2-3 weeks or so.  I had that combo only for about 2 weeks or so a while back before I sent it back for repair, I had a hum that wasn't as simple as a ground loop.  I'm getting it back with the three OPA's as well.

Now I will say I am pretty darn new in comparing audio equipment but I can give you my thoughts when things arrive.  Right now, I listening to my DT 1350 through my computer port and in comparison to the FUN, based on my memory, the FUN has much more support in the bass.  And if read through the forum, you'll read that the FUN is a warmer sound.

Will

EDIT: While I had the combo, I very much like the pair.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,224 of 1,252

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't say Earth is bass light either, but I do find instruments lack some weight and impact compared to the ada4627-1brz. It did occur to me that his cans may require a boost in the lower regions, but the LME is cheap and I'm curious to see if I can find some more magic with it and the right tube combination in the Lyr.

And yes, the LCD-2 delivers adequate bass. Lol.

Try the cap mod on the Earth module ( 1uf PIO of 60V rating or greater across the HDAM's + - PS pins in parallel). That little mod helps deliver what you describe as lacking in the Earth module. I use K42 series PIOs for this job and it's a perfect match. It works equally well on the other 2 module flavors but I find for the A-gd gear (using A-gd HDAMs) the cap modded Earth gives me the most natural presentation of the 3. Of course that's just preference on my part.

The K42's are cheap but work very well.

Peete.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #1,225 of 1,252

Quote:
Try the cap mod on the Earth module ( 1uf PIO of 60V rating or greater across the HDAM's + - PS pins in parallel). That little mod helps deliver what you describe as lacking in the Earth module. I use K42 series PIOs for this job and it's a perfect match. It works equally well on the other 2 module flavors but I find for the A-gd gear (using A-gd HDAMs) the cap modded Earth gives me the most natural presentation of the 3. Of course that's just preference on my part.

The K42's are cheap but work very well.

Peete.

Peete,

I did the mod as you suggested with the Earth module with the K42 PIO. Just been burning in for the past 10 hours. Early impressions shows a deeper soundstage and a bit airier in the highs. Details are much clearer than before. I had the ground wire attached in the FUN. This seems to affect an almost pinched quality to the overall sonic picture and the bass seems recessed. Leaving the ground wire unattached seems to produced more natural sonics and the bass more apparent. In both configurations, voices seems to be more forward. Did you have the ground wire attached in the FUN? 

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #1,226 of 1,252

Quote:
Peete,

I did the mod as you suggested with the Earth module with the K42 PIO. Just been burning in for the past 10 hours. Early impressions shows a deeper soundstage and a bit airier in the highs. Details are much clearer than before. I had the ground wire attached in the FUN. This seems to affect an almost pinched quality to the overall sonic picture and the bass seems recessed. Leaving the ground wire unattached seems to produced more natural sonics and the bass more apparent. In both configurations, voices seems to be more forward. Did you have the ground wire attached in the FUN? 

Yep I left the GND wire attached. The only drawback to the K42 is the long burn in time....you'll hear some rather odd things (slight in effect for the most part) until it settles. Be patient during this process as the end result is well worth the wait.

Peete.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #1,227 of 1,252

Quote:
Yep I left the GND wire attached. The only drawback to the K42 is the long burn in time....you'll hear some rather odd things (slight in effect for the most part) until it settles. Be patient during this process as the end result is well worth the wait.

Peete.

Yes, Peete, I decided to leave the GND wire attached. No doubt the K42 will take a long time to burn in but I can already hear the sound opening up. With the GND wire attached, I no longer hear the pinched quality that was there earlier. THe sund has opened up and the bass is now back, tighter too. One thing I noticed is how low is the noise floor now. Ambient details is clearer.

One thing I noticed is that with the GND wire unattached, the soundstage is HUGE, but there seems to be a 2D quality to the aural image. With the GND attached, the aural presentation have a more 3D feel, with depth, but still huge. Nice....Guess patience is the key here while waiting for the K42 to burn in. Thanks for the tips! This is like the topping on the previous mods you've suggested for the FUN, all of which are beneficial.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #1,228 of 1,252
This is rather odd. The BA Mod I did with the Earth Module with the K42 on the FUN started sounding rather odd. There is distinct loss of air and sparkle in the treble. Sounds very dull. Its been almost 250 hours burning in. Is this normal for such a drastic change in the sonics? Reminds me of those times when first burning n the Earth HDAM and the FUN, but certainly didn't expect the K42 cap to display such change in sonics.  I'm beginning to  wonder if the K42 cap itself is a dud.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #1,229 of 1,252

Quote:
This is rather odd. The BA Mod I did with the Earth Module with the K42 on the FUN started sounding rather odd. There is distinct loss of air and sparkle in the treble. Sounds very dull. Its been almost 250 hours burning in. Is this normal for such a drastic change in the sonics? Reminds me of those times when first burning n the Earth HDAM and the FUN, but certainly didn't expect the K42 cap to display such change in sonics.  I'm beginning to  wonder if the K42 cap itself is a dud.

Totally normal...this is the last stage of burn in...the treble takes a hike for 40 hours or so...not to worry it'll come back.

Peete.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #1,230 of 1,252
I've found the perfect match for my FUN - Sennheiser HD518. Staggering synergy! Perfect fast, controlled and impactful bass, saturated mids, good highs. I wish a bit wider headstage but my music doesn't require much of this feature.
I'm amazed by these cans. Fast and cotrolled sound, nothing common with the old slow, muddy and boomy sennheisers. Try them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back