Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Aug 8, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #1,203 of 1,252
The FUN should be close to full burn-in after ~300 hours. I'd just leave it continuously on 2 weeks, then you will not have to hear the burn-in rollercoaster some people think audio-gd gear go through. And imo, after 300 hours, audio-gd gear sound really good, so you should get there ASAP even if you don't believe in burn-in :p.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #1,204 of 1,252
and what should I expect from this burn-in?
I do believe in burn-in but 300 hrs sounds a bit esoteric to me. Even my k701s reached their peak after 100-200 hrs (they have more than 1000 now) and I talk about drivers, not electronic parts.

-----------------------------------------

Anyone to suggest good op-amps for the FUN??

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,205 of 1,252
I really don't understand the point of a loaded question.  Isn't it easier to write the question down on a piece of paper, and then come back later and answer it?  

Anyway, check out ADA4627-1B, and the rest of the Audio-GD ones.  There is a massive op-amp thread in the DIY forum.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #1,206 of 1,252
brat, many people have noticed audio-gd gear go on a rollercoaster burn-in, changing in different ways. Hard to believe, but that's what some people have subjectively experienced, but that doesn't mean I'm 100% certain it happens, or that you would certainly experience the same. After 300 hours you should notice it is close to completely settled, with no more rollercoaster changes to the sound. Or if you want to see if there is or is not a rollercoaster burn-in yourself, go ahead and listen to it without burn-in.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,207 of 1,252
my friend gave me 10-15 op-amps and now I'm rolling them. I'm new in this op-amp game. It's fun :)
I like AD826AN, LT1469 and LME 49720HA much than Earth OPA which is a bit flat for me.
Any suggestions for analog-sounding OPA with rolled-off highs?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, after about 50-70 hours burn-in the FUN still sounds too digital. It's thin and has problematic sharp highs.
I hope some more burn-in will help :)

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #1,208 of 1,252

Quote:
my friend gave me 10-15 op-amps and now I'm rolling them. I'm new in this op-amp game. It's fun :)
I like AD826AN, LT1469 and LME 49720HA much than Earth OPA which is a bit flat for me.
Any suggestions for analog-sounding OPA with rolled-off highs?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, after about 50-70 hours burn-in the FUN still sounds too digital. It's thin and has problematic sharp highs.
I hope some more burn-in will help :)

Burr Brown OPA 627's fit that description perfectly...just be careful of "BP" version fakes. Most 627's sold these days are "AU" (on an adapter) whereas the "BP" version (is DIP 8 on a brown-dog adapter). Another decent HQ fav is the LT 1364 and LT 1028.

Peete.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #1,209 of 1,252
Hey guys,

a questin in regard to replacing the DAC module with the WM 8741. We´ve touched this matter some pages before and there is suppose to be a wire soldered from the DAC module (pin3) to the Clock module (pin1).
With that said, the DAC module I´ve received recently looks different from the one posted on page 74 of this thread.
So is the wire still necessary or not?

Cheers
Kai

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #1,210 of 1,252
So im finally going to be ordering the FUN. I know i want to get the earth and the moon but im not sure about the other options

Im going to using it with Swans M200 MKIII and HIFIMAN HE300 with PC (mp3 & FLAC) and old turntable

Your help would be much appreciated

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #1,211 of 1,252
Hey you guys,

no answer sometimes is an answer.
Since the labeling on the DAC module complies somehow with the board, I´ve figured it might work without the bridge between the modules and it does.
I´ve changed the oscillator to a Tentlabs too.
Result:
I´m quite happy now.
The sound is much smoother and very pleasant to listen to. I´m not using it as a head-phone amp but as a DAC and pre in a "normal" setting with active loudspeakers.
I will soon test the FUN against a Benchmark, but I´m quite sure already that it will stand up to it, if not beat it.

Cheers
Kai

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #1,212 of 1,252
I take back all the negative things I've stated about Earth in this and other threads. Since acquiring the LCD-2 my preference has reverted back to a more transparent, less coloured presentation. Claims made before about its lack of dynamics and flat imaging were a tad hyperbolic. Earth may not be as dynamic or dense as Moon or ada4627-1brz for low level listening (around 73dBA), but turn the dial up a notch (still at moderate to low levels), and it becomes a lot livelier. Soundstage and imaging at this level is less flat and is actually more natural and coherent than the alternatives I have on hand. The thing I miss is the weight of instruments and slight exaggeration on the width of soundstage the ada4627-1brz presents. I've used that opamp for some time now, and while its emphasis on microdetails and more forward presentation is immediately rewarding, the slight grain or etch in the upper regions, as well as perceptible distortion at the edges, is tiresome and ultimately too much of a compromise.

These findings are when the Fun is employed purely as a (very good) dac. My previous claims of the Earth's lack of texture and a presentation that's too polite may still be apparent through the Fun's amp section. However, I believe the Lyr counteracts those "deficiencies", and adds some weight and dimensionality to Earth's signature. Having said that, add me to the numbers of those who've had affairs with other configurations, but has since come full circle.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,213 of 1,252
LOL, I know what it's like! I've pretty much bought every module for the fun except for the old gain modules and the input modules. The best thing to ever happen to the fun was the opa earth and the wm8741

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #1,214 of 1,252
I've tried AD826AN, OP627, LME49720HA, LM6172IN, OPA2134, LT1364, LT1469, LME49860 and the Earth in my FUN and I find LME49860 most suitable to the sound of this DAC/AMP. I listen with SRH-840, k701 and ATH-A700 and all of them like this op-amp most. Linear FR, natural highs, superb bass impact, good soundstage. Far more suitable for my current headphones than the flat and bass-less Earth :) Try it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back