Review of the Audio-GD FUN - A modular Dac / Headphone amp / Preamp
Jul 29, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #1,189 of 1,252

Quote:
Which version of the Fun did you get? New? Old? A? B?

It was shipped on 7.19.2011 so I think it's the newest possible. And "A" maybe. Nothing was mentioned about "A" or "B" in the offer, "A" is by default. :)
I'll be glad to explain me what's de difference between the old and the new version.

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,191 of 1,252
the new one and version B doesn't have the wm8741 by default... and it sounded like you were describing the old ad dac chip, but even the old dac chip had good dynamics and was very 3D. How many hours do you have on the unit? Also are you using as a dac/amp combo? or just dac? or just amp?

Plus you need to get that opamp out of there. It is seriously a place holder for one of the audio-gd opa's.... and the opas are discrete so they need burn in also.

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #1,197 of 1,252
Unfortunately the FUN + Shure SRH-840 combo is a disaster
mad.gif
A terrible peak in the upper mids is combined with a drop in the bass and the result is an unnatural thin and squeaky sound. If I turn the volume up more than 10 o'clock it becomes unlistenable. Terrible combination... sorry to say that. I doubt any further burn-in will change this. I think any of the two components are not that bad but have their own pecularities, which are superimposed one over another.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #1,200 of 1,252
well, the Earth solved the problems with bass and mids almost completely.
cool.gif
This OPA2134 must be an absolute crap.
Now the FR is more flat except a new emphasis in highs but I know the 840s are supposed to have a problem in this area according to the graphs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back