[REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The UE4000, UE6000 and the UE9000 - Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #586 of 964
Quote:
I have read through several pages of this thread since I ordered the UE 6000's yesterday. I bought them to listen to on the go as my two children and wife would never allow me to enjoy music at the house
smile.gif
 My question is when listening in passive mode, are they ok to listen to without a portable amp, do they sound decent?

They will sound just fine. Only problem might be that they are not loud enough. My rockboxed sansa clip+ has just enough power to play them loud enough. I don't believe there will be any sound quality improvements with some fancy portable amps. They will just play louder. Somebody might disagree.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #587 of 964
Quote:
They will sound just fine. Only problem might be that they are not loud enough. My rockboxed sansa clip+ has just enough power to play them loud enough. I don't believe there will be any sound quality improvements with some fancy portable amps. They will just play louder. Somebody might disagree.

Cool, I would be using it with my Sansa Clip+ also, although I un-rockboxed my Sansa as I thought that the GUI was messy and hard to use compared to the simple default Sansa version. I play my music very low, so I probably will be safe, I like my hearing intact
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #588 of 964
Quote:
Cool, I would be using it with my Sansa Clip+ also, although I un-rockboxed my Sansa as I thought that the GUI was messy and hard to use compared to the simple default Sansa version. I play my music very low, so I probably will be safe, I like my hearing intact
bigsmile_face.gif

Im completely agree with you. Removed the rockbox software too. Wasn't nearly as good as the stock Sansa software.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #589 of 964
I'm going to try returning mine to the apple store today. Too much bass on both modes, horrible cable, right-side cabling. All bad moves on UE's part. I prefer my M50's more, and can't wait to get my white modded version soon.

Does anyone know if Apple accepts returns with all packaging? (I even kept the circular tape and sealed it all again...) I purchased yesterday.

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #590 of 964
Quote:
I'm going to try returning mine to the apple store today. Too much bass on both modes, horrible cable, right-side cabling. All bad moves on UE's part. I prefer my M50's more, and can't wait to get my white modded version soon.

Does anyone know if Apple accepts returns with all packaging? (I even kept the circular tape and sealed it all again...) I purchased yesterday.

Sorry to hear that you are not a fan.  Apple has a generous 14 days return.  I'm loving mine.  It's my "desert island" headphones. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #591 of 964
Quote:

Sorry to hear that you are not a fan.  Apple has a generous 14 days return.  I'm loving mine.  It's my "desert island" headphones. 

I managed to return them no problem. At least now I can confirm to myself that my favored sound signature is balanced with a hint of bass, rather than entirely bass focused cans. 

It's a shame, they looked good, but it seems the UE jack on their cables is designed to be slightly smaller for their splitter, meaning that on the actual device, it can shift and lose connection.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #594 of 964
Quote:
If I remember your AKG K550 vs. PSB vs. M4U M-100 comparison, you didn't like the PSB's as much as the others, correct?

It was a give and take between the three because, well, I like them all!  Purely in terms of sound quality...

...the M4U deftly trounced the others. (my opinion... sorry for the off-topic)

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #595 of 964
Quote:

It was a give and take between the three because, well, I like them all!  Purely in terms of sound quality...

...the M4U deftly trounced the others. (my opinion... sorry for the off-topic)

BRS- I agree with Curly.  Based on the checklist you have presented and multiple issues you have expressed with other headphones, including my beloved M-100s, I think you will at least have less complaints about the the PSB, either M4U1 or M4U2.  I think it is the best option in your price range to most closely meet your expectations.  Keep an eye out for sales at wwstereo.com.  I believe they are running 10% off periodically and last year ran a 20% off sale mid-December, but you would be shipping from US.

Compared to the UE6000, I would say the PSB provides just a bit less comfort, but is still far above average.  Regarding the sound, bass is solid, deep and present without being overbearing, mids have even more detail and highs extend much further with nothing offensive or sibilant.  The sound is reasonably neutral bordering on fun and they handle amping well with no distortion.  I find the M4U2 built-in amp to provide a superior, more subtle v-shape boost compared to the UE6000 amp.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #596 of 964
Quote:
Keep an eye out for sales at wwstereo.com.  I believe they are running 10% off periodically and last year ran a 20% off sale mid-December, but you would be shipping from US.

I'm hoping what you're saying is true, and they do match me, but first I need to find a place with a good return policy. It feels much better to order from something like the apple store, where you can return it with absolutely no problems, rather than having to pay shipping back to the states or something...

Either way - I hope I get to try these in the future, as I need something to compare against the AKG K267's I'm receiving, and I want that headphone to be the best I can get before-hand.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #597 of 964
That is also my main problem with the UE6000. The bass eventually becomes annoying due to its indistinct, cardboard, lifeless blob of a sound. It's like they got the midrange and treble to a seamless form, then ran out of time and just decided to dump some synthetic material to pass as bass into the earcups.

Can't be more agree! That's actually the major reason that I returned them. The bass in momentum is much less punchy and powerful at beginning, but after a long period of listening, i found that the bass in momentum is much more forgiving and "right" in different types of music. I do feel much more enjoyable with Momentum for a long time listening.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #598 of 964
Quote:
None of the controls work with my Motorola Droid Razr MAXX.  It runs on Android 4.0.  It's not a big deal in my book, but I really like the cable.  It's nice and beefy.

I realize this reply may come a couple months too late, but if anyone else is having this problem with Android, install an app called Headset Button Controller.  You can't (and probably never will be able to) use the top and bottom button, but you can set controls for the middle button for all kinds of different clicks (single through quadruple, one click plus long press, many others).  It's a $3 app, but at only 1.5% of the cost of the UE6000s it's definitely worth it in my opinion :)

After trying out the very cheap $75 on sale V-Moda Crossfade LP and being highly unimpressed, I bought the UE6000s for full price on Amazon last night.  With next-day shipping they should be in my hands at any moment and I'll post my impressions.

FWIW I'll be comparing them against my D2000s which I love but am selling because I want something more portable.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #599 of 964
Just picked up a pari of the the UE6000s.

All I can say is...holy sound leakage! These guys aren't for the office...

Sound quality isn't bad, for the price. In Active mode, the mids are lacking and the highs are less than sparkling (it's a noticeable V-shaped signature). If you're looking for this type of sound signature, they perform fairly well.

If your a basshead, these probably won't suffice. They DO have bass (these are NOT flat or accurate headphones by any means), but it's not overwhelmingly loud. A matter of taste, but I wanted a little more punch.

Another grip: the soundstage can feel a bit odd at times. Some people have complained about inconsistencies between the left and right ear...this may be what I'm noticing. Or, it could be the noise-canceling thing doing its work - I remember hearing some Bose that sounded similar. Either way, they're still enjoyable to listen to.

Overall, I like them a lot. Cool design, good sound for the price range, plus active noise canceling. It's a great option for a lower-cost, v-signature headphone. If you need sealed, non-leaking 'phones, look elsewhere.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #600 of 964
Quote:

I agree with you,
I think with NO ANC , you better use it with a portable amp,
But lucky i am using it with my Hifiman 601,
it sound Great with it,
I bought a second pair right away,
Bought two New in Box for 140 dollars!
amazing deal to me.! ( they are like 220 local in Canada)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back