[REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The UE4000, UE6000 and the UE9000 - Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #211 of 964
I personally wouldn't. The k550s would be better for that.

Unless you need sealed headphones, I would suggest an open headphone for that music. I have a pair of Q701 and it does wonders reproducing natural instruments. Granted, the q701s are the only open headphones I've ever heard

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #212 of 964
Hi all,
First time I write here...

I've been following this thread since Tyll reviewed these cans and I'm almost convinced to get them. However, I still have a doubt: would you consider the UE6000 appropriate for jazz/classical/acoustic music? I was about to buy the K550, but given that I wear thick-templed glasses, I've given up due to the isolation issue.

Thanks!
I personally wouldn't. The k550s would be better for that.

Unless you need sealed headphones, I would suggest an open headphone for that music. I have a pair of Q701 and it does wonders reproducing natural instruments. Granted, the q701s are the only open headphones I've ever heard

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #213 of 964
Quote:
  I don't know how much better the ipod classic or iphone 4/4s is than my ipod nano, but these headphones don't drive well with apple products from what I have heard.  It obviously struggles to drive these headphones.  I hate pushing the volume to max, but it only sounds like its at 50%.  It definitely needs an amp; I would even say that an amp is required.  Or a non apple dap.  The sound quality is good if I can hear it haha 

I tend to agree.  The UE6000 can be driven to average listening levels with an Ipod, but an amp is needed to really get the most out of these.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #214 of 964
Even though the ue6000 gas plastic ear cups, its still one of the most handsome headphones I've laid my eyes on. I love the soft texture of the headband and the blue accents in the coushon and around the ear cups. I haven't heard the p5s in a while, but I think the ue6000s are better.
My fav headphones right now are still the amperiors. I think my problem with the UE 6000 is that its not accurate. I've played guitar and piano for half my life, so if headphones don't accurately recreate those tones, it bothers me. But the UE 6000s are nicely colored and pleasing.
Overall I would still say that the k550s are the overall best sealed headphones, but they aren't portable.

Thanks for posting that. I'm big on accurate natural timbre (used to be a percussionist). I'll give these a listen anyway but it'll be good to know what to expect.

Can anyone compare these to SRH840s?

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #215 of 964
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on Head-Fi. I've been enjoying reading all the posts and I was hoping if someone can provide any recommendation on a couple of questions. I recently purchased UE 6000 after reading a lot of great reviews, and I have been very happy with the purchase. I actually had to return it twice at the Apple store because the headphone jack would not click into the headphone (but that's another story).

I want to buy a DAC + Headphone Amp for my MacBook Pro (<$250) and a portable Dac/Amp for my iPhone. Could anyone recommend good pairings for the UE 6000? I'm currently looking at Audioengine D1 for DAC + Headphone Amp for the MacBook Pro and FiiO E7 for the iPhone. 

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #216 of 964
I'm pretty sure the Mac Pro is more than capable of driving these as I feel my 2k11 does a better job than the dedicated XFI elite pro in my PC, though you're prob going to need something for the iphone. :wink:

Mine come today. I hope I don't run into that plug issue. *knock on wood*

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #217 of 964
No point getting the D1 and E7. Just get an E17 and use it as an amp for your iPhone and a DAC/Amp for your Mac. The DAC and Amp in the E17 sound better than the one in the D1. Unless you want all the outputs of the D1 then there is no point and you can always get the E09K for the E17 to give it extra outputs so yeh, E17 should be fine for you!

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #218 of 964
Hi all - newbie here!

I am currently on the market for a new set of headphones. I have been researching and researching and researching......... My current headphones are the budget Sony MDR-NC7 and they are brilliant (suprisingly so!). But I want something with better sound these days.

My current plans for them are :

Gaming (xbox - non competitive, but fun multiplayer like CoD)
Travelling
Music
TV 
Movies

So pretty much everything. I am no audiophile yet though. 

These headphones have recently come up in some searches and seem to be a good fit. I am looking at the UE6000 and UE9000 currently (as well as M50, ANC9, etc). Budget wants to be under £200 but willing to go to the £300 for the UE9000.

So, from these posts it seems the 9000 and 6000 are not too dissimilar. Will these be any good for gaming? I am going on a very long 13hr+ flights this Christmas and want them to be great for that too.

Cheers!

PS. I do want closed back (sometimes use them in bed/work/etc so dont want to disturb others), and like the noise cancellation features (hate the noise of traffic, etc). So if there are any other headphones you guys suggest? I dont have amps or anything, so they cant be massive powered ones. :)

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #220 of 964
Quote:
Can anyone compare these to SRH840s?

+1 for this comparison.

I would like to hear some opinions from people who have experience from both.How the UE 6000 compares to the srh840 when driven straight out of an ipod/portable device,without an external amp?

The SRH840 is my favourite headphone for use with my ipod nano.I like the sound because it's a bit warm,with good timbre for a closed design,a good overall balance,and nice imaging capabilities.I find the sonic signature somewhat sweet and attractive to listen to,with enough refinement,and with good detail and energy too,without being boring,even at lower volumes.Sometimes I felt the bass was a bit fat/full with a bit more emphasis than I like,but with careful placement on the head and a bit rotation to the pads too,that almost disappear and they sound more balanced now.

The problem is that they are big and funny on the head,so i'm thinking that maybe I could find something in the future (for now money is an issue for me) that is better for outside use,but with similar sound signature,easy to drive out of portables without amps,and with a bit better comfort.So if somebody have heard both,I would like to hear their take on these two cans.I would also like to hear Tyll's opinion,because I have a feeling that we may have some similar taste in sound,considering some reviews I have read in his site.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #221 of 964
Hello everyone,

I'm considering getting the UE9000's, I was wondering if anyone could compare the sound quality of these to Sennheiser HD485's I currently have?
I would like some wireless headphones and get absurdly cheap staff deals on Logitech gear through my work so they seem like a good bet.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #222 of 964
OK after going to the Apple Store today, I must say...DANG these are good! :eek:
After giving the UE6000 a more proper listen, they beat out Amperiors by orders of magnitude, in my opinion.

In general:
Cons:

• Active noise cancelling feature is pretty pathetic. When on, things were just a tad bit quieter than with it off...really, nothing can beat the Bose QC15 for ANC by itself.
  • With ANC on, the midrange seemed recessed and the upper mids were tinny (which is what I was hearing the last time I heard the UE6000)
  • Treble seems to have an early roll off
  • Treble lacks some shimmer, but does have some
  • Upper midrange seems somewhat lacking to me. They're either recessed, or due to the treble roll off. They didn't sound as lively as I was hoping for
  • A bit too much warmth for me (might be OK for others though)
  • Earpad hole might be too small for some (my ears barely fit inside the hole)

Pros:

• Noise isolation is pretty darn good. They're better than my Shure SRH940 (-14 dB vs -12 dB according to Innerfidelity measurements)
  • Nice bass extension and punch
  • Midrange as a whole is pretty good and very forward (much, much more forward than the M-80 if anyone is wondering)
  • ^ also midrange is very full-sounding and timbre is pretty good
  • Very comfortable to wear. Lightweight and good clamping force.
  • Warm sound is pleasant to the ear especially in loud environments
  • Little to no large treble peaks/spikes
  • Cable entry on the headphone is easy to remove (no locking mechanism might be a con for some, but I always find the locking mechanism a nuisance since you need to have a special cable)
  • Very solid build quality (the whole thing is pretty much glossy plastic like the Beats, but they seem very pliable and there is no squeaking noises when moving the headband/earcups around)
  • Decent soundstage and instrument separation (not as good as the SRH940, but still really good nonetheless)

Would I recommend this for classical music, acoustic, jazz, or rock? Probably not. The odd-sounding upper midrange made some string instruments and vocals sound off to my ears. I think the ATH-M50 is better suited for those genres despite its slightly recessed mid-midrange (e.g. not the upper mids).

Would I recommend this for EDM, pop, rap, or hip-hop? Yes I would. The midrange in general is good for those genres and the bass impact and extension fits EDM well without having harsh treble.

Would I recommend this for movies? Yeah I think they would be pretty good. You won't hear all of the details due to the rolled-off treble, but for explosions and whatnot, I think these would do terrific.

Would I recommend this for gaming? Like for movies, yeah I think they would be pretty good for explosions. For detail retrieval and soundstaging, they're OK, but not the best.

Would I recommend this for traveling? Shure Shure. I used my Shure SRH940 on an airplane and they did a pretty good job (isolation was good; I had to apply a super bass boost EQ to get any bass out of them though XD). I can imagine the UE6000 would do an even better job since it has better noise isolation and a warmer-sound.

Out of all of the headphones displayed in the Apple Store, I think these are by FAR the best-sounding headphones, and my favourite. If the V-MODA M-100 is anything remotely close to the UE6000 in terms of sound, I will be a happy camper.

Does it need an amp? I think it sounded fine out of my iPod Video and Sansa Clip Zip. However, the bass extension and punch, and treble sparkle did become a bit clearer when I added the FiiO E7 into the mix (bass boost at level 0, no EQ's on the PMP's).

Compared to the UE4000, the UE6000 is an improvement on nearly every aspect except for clarity on the upper-mids (for some odd reason). The midrange is pretty laid back though so in that aspect, even if the upper-mids are a bit clearer-sounding, I wouldn't really recommend the UE4000 for midrange. As a $100 headphone though, it's actually not-to-shabby (I would still recommend an ATH-M50 over it).

^ UE6000

^ UE4000

Compared to the Amperiors, the UE6000 had a superior midrange, by far. The Amperiors sounded can-like and very hollow. Timbre on the Amperior is very poor compared to the UE6000, especially for string instruments in my opinion. The Amperior's sibilance is a HUGE problem and it bugs the heck out of me, to the point that I can't recommend it to anyone. Even if the SRH940 has a ton of treble energy, and virtually no bass in noisy environments, it's not even close to the sibilance problems I have with the Amperior. Shure the Amperior has really good bass slam, and Shure it has better treble extension than the UE6000, but that's about it. The midrange of the Amperior seems really sloppy and poorly done in my honest opinion, the soundstage is virtually non-existant, and the freaking sibilance is ear-piercing. I can't believe people actually like this headphone at $350. That's $50 more than the UE6000 and it does pretty much everything worse. :frowning2:

*end rant*

If anyone wants to know the tracks I used for testing, I can list them. I figured people wouldn't care so I didn't include it in this post. XD

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #223 of 964
Miceblue,

Your comments are well stated and 100% on the money based on my experience with both UE6000 and Amperior.  Momentum didn't fare much better than Amperior to my ears.

Up next, UE6000 vs. M-100.................

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #225 of 964
My specific pair won't plug in fully.  Highly disappointed for the most part.

Off to contact logitech support seeing as I ordered online.

Yeah I've seen this issue come up quite often. What's the issue with the cable?

I used my own cable and had no problems with plugging it in/out of the headphone (I've read that some people have had issues taking it in/out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back