[REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The UE4000, UE6000 and the UE9000 - Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #196 of 964
Quote:
Ok, I'm thinking on getting the UE6000's.

That or its between the AKG K500's or the B&W P5's.

The only thing about the UE6000's that I'm not really feeling is the almost all plastic build. That's why I'm really leaning towards the P5's! 

So in your opinion, if I were to get either, would I be satisfied upgraded from the mess that are Studio Beats by Dre? 

I agree the plastic build is a concern.  The headband quality is excellent, but I am more concerned about the cups.  I have auditioned all of these.  I'm assuming you appreciate solid bass if you have Beats.  All three are vastly superior sonically.  However, if powerful bass is important to you, the best choice by a wide margin for me would be the UE6000. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #197 of 964
Quote:
I agree the plastic build is a concern.  The headband quality is excellent, but I am more concerned about the cups.  I have auditioned all of these.  I'm assuming you appreciate solid bass if you have Beats.  All three are vastly superior sonically.  However, if powerful bass is important to you, the best choice by a wide margin for me would be the UE6000.

Yeah, the cups mostly are what's on my mind too with the build quality. I don't know, it just also looks bad. In my opinion. I guess my horrible experience with the Beats have turned me away from any design that looks plastic. Not the best build quality those Beats, thats for sure! 

Bass is important to me in the sense that it has to be strong to where at least I can feel it a bit. If its dull and doesn't kick much then that would disappoint me. I don't need my skull to rattle though, you know what I mean? 

Compared to the Beats, are the UE6000's build quality a lot better even though they are mostly plastic too (aside from the headband like you said. Which with the Beats, felt brittle and weak and like you could snap it at any moment if you weren't careful!)? Because if you say that the P5's are better sonically than the Beats, which I liked sound wise, then I'm thinking I'll just go for those. Since I really like their build quality. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #198 of 964
Quote:

Yeah, the cups mostly are what's on my mind too with the build quality. I don't know, it just also looks bad. In my opinion. I guess my horrible experience with the Beats have turned me away from any design that looks plastic. Not the best build quality those Beats, thats for sure! 

Bass is important to me in the sense that it has to be strong to where at least I can feel it a bit. If its dull and doesn't kick much then that would disappoint me. I don't need my skull to rattle though, you know what I mean? 

Compared to the Beats, are the UE6000's build quality a lot better even though they are mostly plastic too (aside from the headband like you said. Which with the Beats, felt brittle and weak and like you could snap it at any moment if you weren't careful!)? Because if you say that the P5's are better sonically than the Beats, which I liked sound wise, then I'm thinking I'll just go for those. Since I really like their build quality. 

Regarding the cups, I would only see them breaking with something like a high drop on concrete.  I don't really anticipate any cracking issues as I take extra care of my headphones.  A headband in general seems to be an area where issues are more likely to occur and I feel good about the headband durability, but time with tell.  The P5 is a great looking headphone that exudes class and is well build, but so is Momentum and they didn't cut it for me sonically either.  As the P5 is supra aural, you don't get the same acoustic seal as with a circumaural like the UE6000.  The bass on the P5 is there appropriately, but just doesn't excite me.  The UE6000 bass excites me and in no way overpowers mids or highs.  I just feel it all works together perfectly.  Also, the bass has a powerful, authoritative punch; none of the one-note muddiness you find with rapper cans.  As I have been looking for what I consider to be the "perfect" headphone, I can't say enough how pleasantly surprised I am to have found these at their price.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #200 of 964
Quote:
I have updated the OP with links to all impressions so far, thanks and keep them coming all of you! I will be joining you very shortly with the UE9000 and i can not wait for them!

Thank you for starting a thread for such an exceptional headphone line.  To think these weren't even on my radar a few weeks ago!

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #201 of 964
I was skeptical after all the incredibly positive reviews, so went and picked up a UE6000 at the apple store today. I have to say, TOTALLY worth the money. It's been a damn long time since I've heard a closed can sound this good and for only $199. Tyll's review is spot on and I thank you all for helping me find my new favorite travel headphone. Still waiting on retail M-100s to try out but they better be damn good considering they're gonna cost twice as much. I guess I could always sell my DT1350s if they are good though :p

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #202 of 964
Anyone tried them with non-Apple device ? Do they sound good? I tried one in Apple store with my Cowon A3 and as expected they don't sound right as did my D600 when used with short cable with remote. I got a pair to try at home an to test passive isolation an found they isolate almost as good as D600 when music is played but when not you can hear things around you while you not hear people talking or phone ringing with D600 with no music. Known workaround works for temporary testing purposes so I'm waiting for M-100 delivery to see if their audio only cable will work. I also planing to ask Logitech if they have right cable cause they sound really good for $200 but without the right cable they not worth it

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #203 of 964
  I don't know how much better the ipod classic or iphone 4/4s is than my ipod nano, but these headphones don't drive well with apple products from what I have heard.  It obviously struggles to drive these headphones.  I hate pushing the volume to max, but it only sounds like its at 50%.  It definitely needs an amp; I would even say that an amp is required.  Or a non apple dap.  The sound quality is good if I can hear it haha 

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #204 of 964
  I don't know how much better the ipod classic or iphone 4/4s is than my ipod nano, but these headphones don't drive well with apple products from what I have heard.  It obviously struggles to drive these headphones.  I hate pushing the volume to max, but it only sounds like its at 50%.  It definitely needs an amp; I would even say that an amp is required.  Or a non apple dap.  The sound quality is good if I can hear it haha 

I'll visit a local Apple Store tomorrow and try the UE6000 with my Sansa Clip Zip, Clip Zip + FiiO E7, and iPod Video.

Before I do that, does the UE6000 have a narrow headphone jack for the removable cable? I have a rather fat mini-jack to mini-jack connector, so it actually couldn't fit in headphones that require a skinny connector (such as the Beats Studio).

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #206 of 964
standard 3.5mm jack on both ends.

Right, I know that, but the connector itself can be fat or skinny.

All 3 cables are 3.5mm jacks, but the connectors differ in size.

Sorry for the terminology confusion. I don't know what the "part before the jack" is called, so I just called it a connector.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #207 of 964
Quote:
I'll visit a local Apple Store tomorrow and try the UE6000 with my Sansa Clip Zip, Clip Zip + FiiO E7, and iPod Video.
Before I do that, does the UE6000 have a narrow headphone jack for the removable cable? I have a rather fat mini-jack to mini-jack connector, so it actually couldn't fit in headphones that require a skinny connector (such as the Beats Studio).

It's pretty small and thin

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #208 of 964
Hi all,
First time I write here...

I've been following this thread since Tyll reviewed these cans and I'm almost convinced to get them. However, I still have a doubt: would you consider the UE6000 appropriate for jazz/classical/acoustic music? I was about to buy the K550, but given that I wear thick-templed glasses, I've given up due to the isolation issue.

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #210 of 964
Even though the ue6000 gas plastic ear cups, its still one of the most handsome headphones I've laid my eyes on. I love the soft texture of the headband and the blue accents in the coushon and around the ear cups. I haven't heard the p5s in a while, but I think the ue6000s are better.

My fav headphones right now are still the amperiors. I think my problem with the UE 6000 is that its not accurate. I've played guitar and piano for half my life, so if headphones don't accurately recreate those tones, it bothers me. But the UE 6000s are nicely colored and pleasing.

Overall I would still say that the k550s are the overall best sealed headphones, but they aren't portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back