[REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The UE4000, UE6000 and the UE9000 - Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #122 of 964
Craigster75, could you please tell me how much sound the UE6000's leak, if any?  I sit fairly close by other coworkers at the office so leakage has to be minimal.  Also, they look nice and spacious for larger ears.  Have you noticed any comfort problems? 

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #123 of 964
Quote:

I would appreciate the opportunity to read more of your UE6000 impressions.  Could you contrast its passive performance to, say, the M4U 2 similarly running sans electronics?

I'm still in the "getting to know you" mode with them, but as of now I think I can safely say that going from the PSB M4U2 to the UE6000 reminded me of when I first went from the Sennheiser HD600 to the 650 in an A/B, only with a much greater difference in sonic character. Compared to the PSB, the UE6000 is bloated, slow and undynamic in the bass, a bit smoother in the midrange, and softer in the treble. The PSB sounds more open and airy compared to the more rolled-off, compressed character of the UE6000. I can probably partially attribute the midrange smoothness to the midbass over-presence, creating a "positive" coloration. But going back to the PSB, everything seems properly balanced, open and unfettered, and taking place in a larger soundstage area.

But it is the bass where I am having a real problem with the 6000. It really lacks solidity and definition, and sounds way overcooked in the 80-100 hZ area. Truly frustrating, because the UE6000 midrange and treble is truly seductive. What is really sad is that the UE4000 (which I returned to get the 6000 but will probably go back and retrieve) has a more balanced FR response but is less refined in other areas. And both the 4000 and 6000 seem to have a slight channel imbalance in the bass (both favour the left side). 

But again, still in the early stages. But I know that there will never be any real comparison between the PSB and the UE6000. They just sound too different. But the 6000 does kill the likes of the Phiaton MS300 except maybe in the bass. 

I'll do more listening and return with more impression against other headphones.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #125 of 964
Quote:
Craigster75, could you please tell me how much sound the UE6000's leak, if any?  I sit fairly close by other coworkers at the office so leakage has to be minimal.  Also, they look nice and spacious for larger ears.  Have you noticed any comfort problems? 

They are incredibly comfortable with a perfect, spacious fit and I have above average sized ears.  Leakage is average for a closed headphone.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #126 of 964
Quote:

I'm still in the "getting to know you" mode with them, but as of now I think I can safely say that going from the PSB M4U2 to the UE6000 reminded me of when I first went from the Sennheiser HD600 to the 650 in an A/B, only with a much greater difference in sonic character. Compared to the PSB, the UE6000 is bloated, slow and undynamic in the bass, a bit smoother in the midrange, and softer in the treble. The PSB sounds more open and airy compared to the more rolled-off, compressed character of the UE6000. I can probably partially attribute the midrange smoothness to the midbass over-presence, creating a "positive" coloration. But going back to the PSB, everything seems properly balanced, open and unfettered, and taking place in a larger soundstage area.

But it is the bass where I am having a real problem with the 6000. It really lacks solidity and definition, and sounds way overcooked in the 80-100 hZ area. Truly frustrating, because the UE6000 midrange and treble is truly seductive. What is really sad is that the UE4000 (which I returned to get the 6000 but will probably go back and retrieve) has a more balanced FR response but is less refined in other areas. And both the 4000 and 6000 seem to have a slight channel imbalance in the bass (both favour the left side). 

But again, still in the early stages. But I know that there will never be any real comparison between the PSB and the UE6000. They just sound too different. But the 6000 does kill the likes of the Phiaton MS300 except maybe in the bass. 

I'll do more listening and return with more impression against other headphones.

Could I ask what you are using as an amp?  The UE6000 bass really tightened up for me with my modest E11.  It sounds like you are saying the M4U2 and UE6000 are comparable in SQ with varying strengths and the decision would come down to personal taste or do you feel the M4U2 is overall superior?  I really like both headphones and think it is really saying something for the UE6000's price point.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #127 of 964
Originally Posted by Craigster75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Could I ask what you are using as an amp?  The UE6000 bass really tightened up for me with my modest E11. 

Used two amps...Graham Slee Novo, and an amp I had custom built for me

Quote:
 It sounds like you are saying the M4U2 and UE6000 are comparable in SQ with varying strengths and the decision would come down to personal taste or do you feel the M4U2 is overall superior?  

See below..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But I know that there will never be any real comparison between the PSB and the UE6000. They just sound too different. 

I find they sound different, I wouldn't recommend one to the owner of the other if they liked what they own, if you know what I mean 
biggrin.gif

I do like the UE6000. I love what it does well. I like listening to music with them. They are seductive. I kept wanting to go back and listen some more. It is possible to overlook the things I find fault with and just enjoy. But IMO the PSB is more "accurate" in that it tells you about the unique characteristics of different recordings. The UE6000 tends to make everything sound nice and smooth.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #128 of 964
Yea I feel ya, altough I don't think 1R will be boring at all based on the FR graph alone, certainly I have a lot more faith in 1R compared to Momentum and the 1R also have bigger pads and should be fully cirumaural which is always a plus in my book.

Is that a REAL graph? I'm skeptical. That is one hell of a balanced curve, if I've ever seen one. I'd wait for Innerfidelity or Purrin's measurements, just for the piece of mind. Other than the mid bass hump (which I'm sure I'd like), they should sound relatively well balanced, if a bit smoother than I'd like in the treble region.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #129 of 964
Quote:

I find they sound different, I wouldn't recommend one to the owner of the other if they liked what they own, if you know what I mean 
biggrin.gif

I do like the UE6000. I love what it does well. I like listening to music with them. They are seductive. I kept wanting to go back and listen some more. It is possible to overlook the things I find fault with and just enjoy. But IMO the PSB is more "accurate" in that it tells you about the unique characteristics of different recordings. The UE6000 tends to make everything sound nice and smooth.

Sounds like we are on the same page.  M4U2=more analytical; UE6000=more fun; BOTH excellent at what they do.  It's refreshing to see newcomers to the headphone, or at least circumaural world schooling the established brands.  This encourages everyone to raise their game.

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #133 of 964
Quote:
Is that a REAL graph? I'm skeptical. That is one hell of a balanced curve, if I've ever seen one. I'd wait for Innerfidelity or Purrin's measurements, just for the piece of mind. Other than the mid bass hump (which I'm sure I'd like), they should sound relatively well balanced, if a bit smoother than I'd like in the treble region.

Obviously it's an extremely smoothed line, can be compared to goldenears' measurements. If it was a Innerfidelity measurement this would have been really bright but here a straight line = neutral while on innerfidelity you have to skew the line downwards after 1kHz or else it would be brighter than neutral.

It does look great though, like suprisingly great, I had wanted slightly better subbass extension personally but nothing ZO won't be able to fix.

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #134 of 964
Quote:
Then again, how would these compare to the likes such as the M50's since they're similar in price. 

I have listened to both.  The M50 is a good headphone.  I absolutely prefer the UE6000.  The differences are more preference- smoother mids and highs, than quality, except for the low end which I find deeper and more impactful with the UE6000 that makes them a more enjoyable listen to my ears and far superior for modern music.  My descriptions and comparisons are all based on passive mode.  There is still the option of active mode if a v-curve is preferred, but I probably won't even keep batteries in mine.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #135 of 964
Quote:
Did my dialogue with Beagle answer your question?

For the most part, yes.  I appreciate both of your contributions to this discussion.

You both seem to agree that the M4U supplies a better balance of frequency representation than the UE6000. (and, assumedly, the UE9000)  Personally, I found the PSB to be fairly neutral with just a hint of bass emphasis.  I assessed its presentation as smooth, slightly forward, and merely sufficient in terms of detail retrieval and soundstaging.  It was an enjoyable listen, albeit not overtly technically proficient.  In a word, it equated to my personal sensibilities of what a "fun" headphone should sound like as it allowed for a (mostly) accurate representation of the source content without bringing any jarring recording/mastering/hardware/etc. niggles to the foreground.

Given the above contextualization, if the UE6000 is the "fun" counterpoint to the "analytical" M4U then it's simply not the 'phone for me.  There does, however, exist a sizable market for a warm/bassy closed-back option that retains sufficient resolution.  Logitech's offerings will be an avenue worth pursing for many.

As an aside, the Sony MDR-X10 is warm/bassy gone obscenely awry; a horrendously offensive product for $300USD circa 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back