[REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The UE4000, UE6000 and the UE9000 - Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #106 of 964
Quote:
Keep in mind that I only briefly listened to the UE4000's at the Apple Store on their own iPod Touch's, so my impressions may be "iffy". I mostly listened to Linkin Park and Taylor Swift songs to get a good feel for bass punch (kick drums), midrange (guitars and vocals), and highs (cymbals).
Compared to the SRH940, the UE4000 (and I suppose the passive mode 6000 and 9000) definitely has much better bass punch and extension. The large bass presence kind of bled into the midrange a bit, but not too much. This may factor in to the very warm sound signature it has compared to the analytical SRH940. The mids were nice and smooth overall and a bit forward, more so than the M-80 based on memory. The highs seemed rolled-off to me since cymbals didn't have that "ring" after the initial hit. It definitely makes the treble less harsh compared to the SRH940. In terms of overall resolution and detail, there's no comparison; the SRH940 destroys the UE4000. I couldn't really compare the bass texture since the Apple Store was busy with people/employees running all over the place (huge line out the door for the iPhone 5), but the SRH940 definitely has better detail retrieval for the mids and highs. In terms of portable musicality though, I actually liked the UE4000 because of its warm sound. Without using an EQ, the SRH940 sounds very harsh while riding on a bus.
Overall, the UE4000's were very impressive from my initial listen, and YES I definitely like them more than the Amperior because of the non-sibilant highs. For detail retrieval, I think the Amperior does a better job, but the UE4000 was still pretty good from the tracks I sampled.
I'm not sure I would use the UE4000's on-the-go though, since I do like to hear details in the highs but I would say it's a very very good headphone overall.
Holy moly.......the UE4000 is only $100 USD!
eek.gif
(Apple Stores don't have headphone product info at their headphone stands.....)
I might just pick one up. For $100 I think the UE4000 is an absolute steal for your money. Definitely leagues better than any celebrity endorsed headphone at the Apple Store, and better than some of the Harman Kardon ones too.

Thanks for the comparison.  If you have a chance, please let me know your thoughts on the UE6000 in passive (especially if you have a portable amp) since that should be a noticeable step up sonically and the model I am enjoying right now.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #107 of 964

Before declaring them my personal winner of the closed portable battle going on right now, I still plan to audition the AKG Tiesto K267, Ultrasone Signature DJ, Momentum and of course the M-100.

You're not interested in Sony MDR-1R at all? Just curious.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #108 of 964
Quote:

You're not interested in Sony MDR-1R at all? Just curious.

It doesn't excite me as I have never cared for the Sony sound.  For some reason, I feel like they will be more analytical than fun, but maybe they  will prove me wrong.  As you know, the number of options we have right now is amazing, but also overwhelming.  I have to cut somewhere :)

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #109 of 964
Quote:
It doesn't excite me as I have never cared for the Sony sound.  For some reason, I feel like they will be more analytical than fun, but maybe they  will prove me wrong.  As you know, the number of options we have right now is amazing, but also overwhelming.  I have to cut somewhere :)

Yea I feel ya, altough I don't think 1R will be boring at all based on the FR graph alone, certainly I have a lot more faith in 1R compared to Momentum and the 1R also have bigger pads and should be fully cirumaural which is always a plus in my book.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #110 of 964
Quote:
That is a unique dealbreaker. It is THAT bad for you?  Everyone has different needs.  I actually prefer the cable on the right since I use while walking, keep my wallet in my left pocket and Iphone in the right, so I now don't have to run the cable across my body.

It's just that for 20 years of using one-sided cables, they've always been on the left side. I had the HD25-1 II and it always felt like I had the phones on backwards. I ended up turning the earcups upside down and using a two-sided cable mod.

I did take the UE4000 back to Apple store today and got the 6000 anyway. It's the sound, right?

I suppose I could mod the UE6000 cable plug and reverse the L/R connections. Then all would seem right with them. But first, I must listen to them 
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #111 of 964
Quote:

It's just that for 20 years of using one-sided cables, they've always been on the left side. I had the HD25-1 II and it always felt like I had the phones on backwards. I ended up turning the earcups upside down and using a two-sided cable mod.

I did take the UE4000 back to Apple store today and got the 6000 anyway. It's the sound, right?

I suppose I could mod the UE6000 cable plug and reverse the L/R connections. Then all would seem right with them. But first, I must listen to them 
biggrin.gif

You could always do a hardwire split :p

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #113 of 964
Quote:
You could always do a hardwire split :p

Sorry, I'm not that technically savvy..what is a hardwire split?
Quote:
I don't know much about the UE6000, but how does one turn off the ANC feature? 

There is a switch on top of the right earcup.

And could somebody please tell me where the "bass boost" switch is located on the UE6000. I'd like to switch it off!  
eek.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #115 of 964
I just picked up Momentum and A//B'd against the UE6000.   The clear winner is.....................................................UE6000.

The UE6000 is tighter, goes deeper and is more dynamic on the low end with smoother, more natural mids and highs.  On some songs I found Momentum almost harsh where the UE6000 was better extended and silky by comparison.  Bottom line, I am keeping the UE6000 regardless of any headphone I may come across and am returning Momentum tomorrow.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #116 of 964
Can UE600 owner please let me know if the pads are removable?

Thank you.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #118 of 964
I just picked up Momentum and A//B'd against the UE6000.   The clear winner is.....................................................UE6000.

The UE6000 is tighter, goes deeper and is more dynamic on the low end with smoother, more natural mids and highs.  On some songs I found Momentum almost harsh where the UE6000 was better extended and silky by comparison.  Bottom line, I am keeping the UE6000 regardless of any headphone I may come across and am returning Momentum tomorrow.

Wow, a clear winner. Impressive. :basshead:
All that hype for the Momentum. XD
Hopefully the M-100 won't meet the same fate.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #119 of 964
Quote:

Have you listen to the sound quality of the UE9000? It's the same as the UE6000? of course in passive.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #120 of 964
Quote:

And could somebody please tell me where the "bass boost" switch is located on the UE6000. I'd like to switch it off!  
eek.gif

I would appreciate the opportunity to read more of your UE6000 impressions.  Could you contrast its passive performance to, say, the M4U 2 similarly running sans electronics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back