[REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The UE4000, UE6000 and the UE9000 - Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #722 of 964
BASS = 0-140HZ
MID-BASS / LOW MID = 140-400Hz
MID-RANGE = 400-2.6KHz
UPPER-MID = 2.6K-5.2KHz
HIGH = 5.2K-20KHz

That is the approx figures for the different ranges....

LOGITECH UE6000 FREQUENCY RESPONSE :

The UE6000 are actually extremely good for the price at everything up to upper mids and then they get recessed. So I guess you mean that the upper mids and treble are recessed.... Because the lower mids and mid range are actually excellent and very present compared to a lot of headphones. I think my favourite part about these headphones is the lower mids / mids. Treble is decent although a little recessed and not so great in active mode. Although personally I would prefer recessed treble to excessively bright and sibilant.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #723 of 964
Yea i think thats probably what i meant. I am still quite bad at recognising frequency ranges as of now. But what i can tell is, female vocals seem a little far off on them. it's a pity because my songs have alot of them. But they are great on tracks without them, like trance.

What i also realised is that even though they are meant for portable use, without a proper amp they are "limited" in the energy they can present. With one, everything comes alive suddenly :D

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #724 of 964
I agree that sometimes some frequencies seem pretty far away and lack energy whilst other frequencies are very good.... Overall though most headphones have compromises somewhere and I think that these are relatively good for the money and have minor compromises. Although if you like bright headphones then these are no good.

For the price I got them I don't think it is possible to get anything better as an al rounder (£100).... If I would have paid the full RRP of £169. I would still think they were good but maybe return them and upgrade to something around the £200 mark.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #725 of 964
Quote:
Yea i think thats probably what i meant. I am still quite bad at recognising frequency ranges as of now. But what i can tell is, female vocals seem a little far off on them. it's a pity because my songs have alot of them. But they are great on tracks without them, like trance.

What i also realised is that even though they are meant for portable use, without a proper amp they are "limited" in the energy they can present. With one, everything comes alive suddenly :D

Do you mean in active or passive mode?

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #726 of 964
I think the manufacturers must have used the Denons as a reference because these sound very similar to D2000 but with less treble and more mids... Not quite as good as the Denons but overall not far off and less fatiguing.... Treble is slightly less refined in active mode as well but it is far from bad.... I have certainly heard a lot worse.

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #727 of 964
What I would like to see from logitech is some new ones release which are similar but passive only and with more bass in passive mode. Because these are a bit bass light in passive mode but have monster bass in active mode.

Logitech UE if you are reading this.... I want some Logitech UE7000 passive mode only with same sound signature but more bass in passive mode and slightly better treble.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #729 of 964
Quote:

Do you mean in active or passive mode?

passive, I'm already can't really remember how active mode sounds since i rarely used it. I had problems with the active mode too, sometimes flicking the switch for the first time doesn't work, no idea if it's a defect or something but that also discouraged me from using it.

Listening to the new Daft Punk album (Random Access Memories) on these is totally eargasmic. Especially this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcuKxAvCSZ4

The ending 
blink.gif
 I feared for my ears

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #731 of 964
Sub bass - Present all the way to the limit of hearing and snappy when EQ - Similar to Denon D2000, Not perfect but good... On some songs the sub bass of these is just awesome... Some songs the bass sounds bad... I think it is due to bad recordings

Mid bass - Little bit loose at times but I have heard worse in the price bracket, good but not great.

Lower mids - Actually really good I think even at twice the price, the imaging and rich sound of the lower mids is one of the best I have heard at £100-£150.

Upper mids - Too recessed but they still sound decent... I think this headphone would be  better if 3Khz and up were a bit brighter and more detailed. Still good for the money and fits well with the rest of the sound.

Lower treble - Again this is recessed but to me this is better than sibilance. Some grain and sibilance but not bad, no more sibilance than is present in the recording, I would like the treble on these to be a bit more refined / smoother as well as a few DB brighter. I do notice quite a bit of detail is lost in the upper mids and treble though.

Upper treble - Again a bit recessed along with everything over about 3 khz but the quality is pretty good and better than excessive brightness. You can get better headphones for treble for the same money, but these have a well rounded overall sound.

Soundstage - Not huge but pretty good for a closed headphone, I like the presentation, sounds less hollow than M50 and has a nice 3D effect at times. I have never thought to myself that they sound excessively small or closed in.

Imaging / Seperation / Speed - Another area where they punch above their price I think... Its pretty good.... Seperation and imaging sound better than you would expect for this price.... Not as good as something like HD-650 but they are 3x the price... Compared to most headphones in this price range they are very good.

Overall - Good especially for modern genres such as electronic music, hip hop etc. Although you could get better if you listen to only metal, rock or classical for example, as an all rounder though... very good value. They Could have a bit more / better quality treble but I prefer this to excessive brightness and sibilance, slightly peaky at 7-11Khz, and I would prefer if the sound above about 2khz was a bit more refined and smoother. I think if you prefer a darker sound and like modern genres, especially anything electronic and bass if you can pick them up for £100-£150 there is not much better at the price. Personally I think they perform better than the ATH-M50 which is a popular headphone at similar price.

If these could tighten up the bass slightly (especially in active mode), make the treble a bit brighter and more refined and have the passive mode sound quality in active mode then these would be excellent 5 stars. As they are I give them 4 stars.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #732 of 964
The UE6000 is actually better at handling sibilance than the Momentum, I spent a couple days with both. The recessed treble works very well for mainstream and badly mastered music, and the bass boost in NC mode also does its job. My only complaint so far is the creaking headband but the sound quality is very good for $200. Definitely one of the few headphones I'd gladly pay MSRP for. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #734 of 964
I am tempted to try the Momentum and also the Vmoda M100 and AKG 267 but I am not sure that either of those are going to be worth 2-3x the price. I tried the Momentum in the shop and it sounded a bit sibilant to me, also the ear pads are very small.... I don't think the UE6000 can be beat at the price I paid and I think I will probably keep them until I can afford something significantly better. This says a lot because the only headphones I have kept for more than a few weeks have been the D2000 and HD650.

I don't think the UE6000 are that great for metal and rock music but for electronic and rap music I do not think a better pair of headphones exists under £150. I paid £100 for them so I think they are keepers. Although the Passive mode sound better overall I still like to switch to active sometimes because on some music it sounds really good... it is nice to have 2 different headphones in one.

Get "Infected mushroom - the shen" in FLAC quality and listen to the bass in active mode with the EQ I posted... The bass at the start ... insane!

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #735 of 964
Quote:
Hope this helps if you are thinking about buying these...

Sub bass - Present all the way to the limit of hearing and snappy when EQ - Similar to Denon D2000, Not perfect but very good... On some songs the sub bass of these is just awesome...

Mid bass - Little bit loose at times but I have heard a lot worse in the price bracket, good but not great.

Lower mids - Actually really good I think even at twice the price, the imaging and rich sound of the lower mids is one of the best I have heard at £100-£150.

Upper mids - Too recessed but they still sound good with EQ... I think this headphone would be even better if 3Khz and up were a bit brighter and more detailed. Still good for the money and fits well with the rest of the sound.

Lower treble - Again this is recessed but to me this is better than sibilance. Some grain and sibilance but not bad, no more sibilance than is present in the recording, I am pretty picky about sibilance so this is a compliment. I would like the treble on these to be a bit more refined / smoother as well as a few DB brighter.

Upper treble - Again a bit recessed along with everything over about 3 khz but the quality is pretty good and better than excessive brightness. You can get better headphones for treble for the same money, but you cannot get such a well rounded overall sound.

Soundstage - Not huge but pretty good for a closed headphone, I like the presentation, sounds less hollow than M50 and has a nice 3D effect at times. I have never thought to myself that they sound excessively small or closed in. I usually think this about closed headphones, M50, CAL etc.

Imaging / Seperation / Speed - Another area where they punch above their price I think... Its pretty damn good.... Seperation and imaging sound better than you would expect for this price I think.... Not as good as something like HD-650 but they are 3x the price and not very good for the genres that these excel at. Compared to most headphones in this price range they are excellent. These sound pretty fast to me and keep up with most music..

Overall - Good especially for modern genres such as electronic music, hip hop etc. Although you could get better if you listen to only metal, rock or classical for example, as an all rounder though... excellent value in my opinion. They Could have a bit more / better quality treble but I prefer this to  excessive brightness and sibilance, slightly peaky at 7-11Khz, and I would prefer if the sound above about 2khz was a bit more refined and smoother. I think if you prefer a darker sound and like modern genres, especially anything electronic and bass if you can pick them up for £100-£150 there is not a better headphone at the price. Personally I think they perform better than the ATH-M50 which is a popular headphone at similar price.

If these could tighten up the bass slightly (especially in active mode), make the treble a bit brighter and more refined and have the passive mode sound quality in active mode then these would be excellent 5 stars. As they are I give them 4 1/2 stars.

Good review! it's what i think of these too. with brighter sound, they would have been unbeatable at the price point. except i actually think the bass is pretty tight already(in passive).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back