[REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The UE4000, UE6000 and the UE9000 - Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #646 of 964
I got my UE6k yesterday. I'm using them as a replacement for my CIEM, because i need to refit them..
I'm pretty surprised about the sound of these, and I'll use them on my computer after i get my CIEM back, with a mic-clip for teamspeak^.^

Someone got any cable suggestion for this baby? I know how big the SQ difference of standard to silver cable can be with IEMs and I think it's the same with headphones.
If a better cable could make the sound even better, these headphones will be amazing.
I just don't know where to get and would be happy with some suggestions :3

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #648 of 964
Seeing that I'm travelling less for work (so I don't need the top flight noise cancelling QC15s...honestly, nothing does NC better than these cans), I wanted something more in between. Great in passive mode for around the house and good noise cancelling when I do in fact find myself on a plane. So the UE9000s seemed like a logical solution.

Just got them and I plan on listening to them tonight. More impressions to follow...

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #649 of 964
Listening to them now and wow! Yes, no one would accuse these headphones as being bass-lite, but the bass is actually quite good. It doesn't bleed into the mids (in passive mode anyway). They are slightly on the warmer side of neutral. The bass quality is very good. Deep, present and well defined. Now not TH-900 or LCD-3 bass quality. But for mid-fi $400 headphones, damn good.

I came close to picking up a pair of Sennheiser Momentum's the other day, but glad I held off until I got to hear these headphones. As great as the Momentum's are, I prefer these. I took about 30 minutes A-Bing them at the Apple Store today (kudos to my wife for taking the kids while I listened) and with my iPhone (and music) these come out on top. Throw in the added noise cancelling and wireless options, it was a relatively simple decision.

The mids are very nice and lush and the treble is well defined and pushed back a tad (close to the Audeze house sound in that regard). So I like 'em...a lot!

Construction quality is top notch! Comfort after an hour is also very good. The QC15s have them beat in two areas: comfort and noise cancelling. The UE9000's NC is good (not great), but the Bose QC15's NC is top notch (and nothing I've heard is as good). 

Using the NC circuit (and my home's furnace as a stand-in for a plane's cabin during a flight), it is easy to see that the QC15s are better at blocking out the noise. Another note, is that the UE9000s become less natural and more bass heavy with the NC circuitry. Sound-wise they still sound better than my QC15s and if I flew more (which thankfully I don't as much anymore for work), I'd be tempted to keep the Bose headphones. 

Wireless usage is simply amazing. It is very hard (read: can't really tell) the difference between wired with the NC on vs. wireless (NC is on in this mode FWIW). 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with them. They can now be my bedside, by the pool and around the house headphones and the NC circuitry is welcome for when I take them with me on a plane.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #650 of 964
And one final update after 3 hours with these cans. Overall I'm very impressed. It's official, I do like them more than my (now sold) Ultrasone Ed. 8LEs. The bass is much better defined with less distortion. 

Heck, they measure substantially better too:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/LogitechUE9000wiredpassive.pdf
vs. 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasoneEdition8.pdf

And that's me comparing a $400 pair of headphones vs. a $2000 pair. Goes to show, price is not always a differentiator.  

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #651 of 964
Quote:
And one final update after 3 hours with these cans. Overall I'm very impressed. It's official, I do like them more than my (now sold) Ultrasone Ed. 8LEs. The bass is much better defined with less distortion. 

Heck, they measure substantially better too:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/LogitechUE9000wiredpassive.pdf
vs. 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasoneEdition8.pdf

And that's me comparing a $400 pair of headphones vs. a $2000 pair. Goes to show, price is not always a differentiator.  

I never really thought much of the ED8's and always thought they had waaaay too much hype. They look pretty and all though.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #652 of 964
Quote:
I never really thought much of the ED8's and always thought they had waaaay too much hype. They look pretty and all though.

I liked them when I owned them. They do look pretty. Just goes to show, $ sometimes isn't always a good teller of how 2 headphones will compare.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #653 of 964
The original cord of UE6000 is too short for me for hooking up to headphone amp. As I try out different cables of accomodating length, I found that some will not fit because the plug is too large for the socket of the UE6000.

Eventually I found the Oyaide HPC-35、HPC-62 fit. I went crazy and ordered one of these cables, which are expensive compared to the phone cost. They need a while to run-in but the difference is not subtle.

If you like them better than Ed8, the Oyaide will take them to another level.
HPC35_1280_540.jpg

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #654 of 964
Quote:
The original cord of UE6000 is too short for me for hooking up to headphone amp. As I try out different cables of accomodating length, I found that some will not fit because the plug is too large for the socket of the UE6000.

Eventually I found the Oyaide HPC-35、HPC-62 fit. I went crazy and ordered one of these cables, which are expensive compared to the phone cost. They need a while to run-in but the difference is not subtle.

If you like them better than Ed8, the Oyaide will take them to another level.

Oh Boy,

There are many things that are to be said about cables affecting the sound quality; and event more things to say about the cable burn in.

Are you sure you aren't just justifying the cost by saying that the they need a lot of time to burn in. Maybe it's just your brain that fools you to think they actually sound better with the costly cable?

I would be really careful before advertising expensive cables. I do love my UE6000 though. Really good sound for the money. Especially if you have an ability to EQ the bass down a little bit.    

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #655 of 964
Quote:
Oh Boy,

There are many things that are to be said about cables affecting the sound quality; and event more things to say about the cable burn in.

Are you sure you aren't just justifying the cost by saying that the they need a lot of time to burn in. Maybe it's just your brain that fools you to think they actually sound better with the costly cable?

I would be really careful before advertising expensive cables. I do love my UE6000 though. Really good sound for the money. Especially if you have an ability to EQ the bass down a little bit.    

Much has been said whether cables affect sound quality from both fences, the only way to see for yourself is to try it in your system.

In my full rig system with dedicated headphone amp, CDP, morrow cables, Michael Wolff power cords I do hear a difference with the Oyaide, but if I am running the UE6000 from merely a portable then I agree need not bother. YMMV.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #656 of 964
would the ultrasone cable fit into the ue6000 socket? I want a replacement just in case of breaking these baby!

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #657 of 964
I'm a newbie when it comes to the tech specs.. impedance and such. I read the clip+ is good at driving 16-32 ohms.. UE6000s listed at around 50 ohms.. In short.. can the Sansa Clip+ drive the UE6000s properly?

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #658 of 964
Quote:
I'm a newbie when it comes to the tech specs.. impedance and such. I read the clip+ is good at driving 16-32 ohms.. UE6000s listed at around 50 ohms.. In short.. can the Sansa Clip+ drive the UE6000s properly?

My UE9000s are easily powered by my iDevices...nothing to worry about IMO. They were designed to be easily driven.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #659 of 964
i picked up a pair of ue6000's today, plugged them into my denon 1613 and got nothing. having read that the cable can be hard to insert, i pulled it out and jammed it back in, whereupon i got some static filled noise. i reversed the cable and same thing. after fooling around with the volume controls i came to the conclusion that i had a bad cable. i replaced it with another one i had and booyah! we got sound. there is so much bass! i'm hoping with some burn in they'll mellow out a little. i'm wondering if i should exchange them at bestbuy because of the cable or just live with it?

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #660 of 964
Quote:
i picked up a pair of ue6000's today, plugged them into my denon 1613 and got nothing. having read that the cable can be hard to insert, i pulled it out and jammed it back in, whereupon i got some static filled noise. i reversed the cable and same thing. after fooling around with the volume controls i came to the conclusion that i had a bad cable. i replaced it with another one i had and booyah! we got sound. there is so much bass! i'm hoping with some burn in they'll mellow out a little. i'm wondering if i should exchange them at bestbuy because of the cable or just live with it?

I'd definitely go in and exchange the unit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back