[Review] iBasso D-Zero, with FiiO E7 Comparison
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #91 of 102

I agree with Syan25--I've run a Clip+ at low volume using the D-zero to amp it, and run the Clip+ at high volume using the D-zero to "limit" it and I haven't had any issues with low volume in either scenario.  Obviously the upper end is louder with the Clip feeding a higher volume, but even running the D-Zero at a low volume with the Clip+ feeding it at a low volume doesn't result in a channel imbalance that I can hear.

Works fantastic with my e260 Sansa, 5.5 Ipod Video and Ipod Mini as well...

Thanks for replying!

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #93 of 102
can D-zero drive sennheiser HD600 with ease? which is better, E7 or E11 or D-zero for HD600? anybody? power/quality wise not to be misjudged blindly high price cans will always be better.....need to decide and get one.valuable suggestions pls.

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #94 of 102
I was thinking about getting one of these versus some other portable amps. My question is exactly how small is this amp? I need something that I can match with my Ipod Touch and can take with me on the go everywhere. Is this small enough to where I can put both it and the Ipod in my pocket?

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #96 of 102
Ok, thanks for the comparison pics!

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #97 of 102
Can someone confirm that the D-Zero bypasses the windows audio mixer and volume control by default? 

I recently purchased an E07K to replace an E7 and was super pissed when I found out that Fiio apparently buckled to the pressure of dumb people wanting to use their keyboard volume controls and removed the devices ability to bypass the windows mixer...

Which was the point of the device in the first place. 

I dont want to go back to an "old" device in the E7, so the D-Zero seems like an option, but only if it bypasses the mixer by default, and not only through Foobar/ASIO. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #98 of 102
E7 doesn't actually bypass the mixer / volume control. There is a software key in the USB receiver chip that the manufacturer can set to let the PC know whether it will allow software volume control or not. Essential it is just telling the OS to set the software volume to max and disable user control. It doesn't actually bypassing the whole mechanism, but more like an enforced setting. So manually setting the volume to max and not adjusting it will yield the same result.

As for D-Zero - Yes, the software volume control has been disable.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #99 of 102
If that were the case, why are people reporting that when using the E07K with Wasapi/ASIO the volume control still works as if you weren't using one of those API's at all?

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #100 of 102
  If that were the case, why are people reporting that when using the E07K with Wasapi/ASIO the volume control still works as if you weren't using one of those API's at all?

I don't know the detail of it. E07K uses a very different USB receiver (Tenor TE7022 I think) than the much simpler TI chip in E7 / D-zero (PCM270x). It could just happen to be how TE7022 is designed. But given E07K is capable of 24/96, that means digital volume control actually won't degrade the sound quality (*dynamic range) and thus there is nothing evil about it.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #101 of 102
Guys this might have come up before but...
I have the d-zero plugged into(charge is off) my lg optimus g pro and with my phone on standby not playing any music whatsoever, it sucks about 1% of my battery every 5 minutes or so. This yields to an approximate standby time of 8-9hours. Is this normal?

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #102 of 102
  Guys this might have come up before but...
I have the d-zero plugged into(charge is off) my lg optimus g pro and with my phone on standby not playing any music whatsoever, it sucks about 1% of my battery every 5 minutes or so. This yields to an approximate standby time of 8-9hours. Is this normal?

Assuming you are plugging in the D-zero to the microUSB port of the LG and uses it as a USB DAC -

I don't know how fast a battery draining rate can be considered normal, but D-zero sucking up battery is itself normal. Even without playing any music, the DAC section of D-zero will still draw power from the microUSB (of the LG). So it definitely will drain the battery. D-zero isn't designed originally for smartphone so iBasso didn't reroute the DAC power back to the internal battery. On newer smartphone oriented USB DAC, you won't see this problem.

If you are talking about plugging the D-zero into the headphone-out of LG - then it is definitely not normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back