REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Jan 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #481 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:
hey promised to re-send, usually 30 days, but so far nothing has been posted, I'm Russian

I ordered in mid of Dec and got it within 2 weeks. But in my case, they have to ship from Newyork to Pittsburgh. 7hr drive. 
In your case (to Russia), I believe, the item will be shipped from China. In my experience  (ebay, meritline etc) they take around 4-6 weeks to reach US. Might not apply for you at all. Just sharing my thoughts.

They shipped mine on the 16th and i got it on the 20th, from china to canada.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #482 of 1,534
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, with the SM3's and think they make a great fit, with me getting some superb sound quality out of it, but let's be honest, apart from the sound quality, the rest of it is pretty feeble. It only takes class 4 SDHC's (Kingston 32gb in my case), which is far from good enough nowadays and I have to take the card out and put it back in again every time I turn the player on, otherwise the card isn't recognised, which is pathetic. It only has 2gb of onboard memory, which is far from enough, although I understand them keeping this down for cost purposes, but I can't see 8gb costing much more, or taking up much more space. Cue files are very hit and miss, which is very annoying. ID Tags are causing me a lot of hassle as well, even though they are perfectly fine with the s:flo2 and look perfectly fine otherwise, sometimes they don't even show on the 601 and others don't recognise the album name or artist. The battery life is abysmal. It seems to me that they've only been concerned with the sound quality and everything else has taken a back seat, which makes the whole experience very frustrating and rewarding at the same time. By the way, my firmware is 0.04, so these problems still exist. I'm sure the card/cue files/ID Tag problems could be rectified with a firmware update, but I'm not convinced this is a priority of theirs and I wouldn't know where to look for it anyway.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #483 of 1,534
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, with the SM3's and think they make a great fit, with me getting some superb sound quality out of it, but let's be honest, apart from the sound quality, the rest of it is pretty feeble.

It only takes class 4 SDHC's (Kingston 32gb in my case), which is far from good enough nowadays and I have to take the card out and put it back in again every time I turn the player on, otherwise the card isn't recognised, which is pathetic.

It only has 2gb of onboard memory, which is far from enough, although I understand them keeping this down for cost purposes, but I can't see 8gb costing much more, or taking up much more space.

Cue files are very hit and miss, which is very annoying. ID Tags are causing me a lot of hassle as well, even though they are perfectly fine with the s:flo2 and look perfectly fine otherwise, sometimes they don't even show on the 601 and others don't recognise the album name or artist.

The battery life is abysmal.

It seems to me that they've only been concerned with the sound quality and everything else has taken a back seat, which makes the whole experience very frustrating and rewarding at the same time. By the way, my firmware is 0.04, so these problems still exist.

I'm sure the card/cue files/ID Tag problems could be rectified with a firmware update, but I'm not convinced this is a priority of theirs and I wouldn't know where to look for it anyway.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #485 of 1,534
For your tags I'd suggest changing your tags to id3 v1 and just have the artist, song name and album name. Mine wasn't working until I did that.

However I'd agree with most of that. My sdhc card works fine but I'm a bit hesitant to get a 16gb since it might not work properly which is not something I want to waste money on although the 16gb card isn't exactly expensive these days. The 601 is basically that. It focuses on SQ first and the rest is an after thought.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #487 of 1,534
My 601 handles 16 Gb Kingston class 4 cards very well.

The only complaint I have is that it creates a sort of noise, from CPU I think, for the first 10 to 15 minutes after turning it on.

Some one else have this problem?

With some FLAC playing the UI gets very slow responding!

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #488 of 1,534

Quote:
 I have a Sandisk 32 type 4 and it operates the same way. After each power off it fails to detect the card on next power up so I pop out the card each time I power up and re-insert it. That works every time but It is annoying. I wish there was a firmware fix.

My Sandisk 16 type 4 had the same problem, replaced by a Kinston 16 type 4 and it works. Some cards just aren't fully compatible

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #489 of 1,534
Hi,

i've been reading most of this thread, im thinking very serously about buying this DAP. My question is, what are some of you guys' experience with the 601 and the TF10's? i have these iem's and love them, are they a good match?

Thx!

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #490 of 1,534

Quote:
Hi,

i've been reading most of this thread, im thinking very serously about buying this DAP. My question is, what are some of you guys' experience with the 601 and the TF10's? i have these iem's and love them, are they a good match?

Thx!

This is my combo and I believe that it is a very good match. The bass is more smoother and has more weight to it than the Sansa Clip. The mids are more sweeter. The treble is not as in your face as with the Clip but it does sound better and less harsh to my ears.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #491 of 1,534
how would you say the instrument separations fairs compared to your other DAP? 

Thx btw for the info!! 

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Thx!

This is my combo and I believe that it is a very good match. The bass is more smoother and has more weight to it than the Sansa Clip. The mids are more sweeter. The treble is not as in your face as with the Clip but it does sound better and less harsh to my ears.

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #492 of 1,534

Quote:
My 601 handles 16 Gb Kingston class 4 cards very well.

The only complaint I have is that it creates a sort of noise, from CPU I think, for the first 10 to 15 minutes after turning it on.

Some one else have this problem?

I get noise when I put it on and plug in the headphones. But if it's in, it's over. I don't have this with my iPod Touch.
Moreover, when the battery of the HM601 is almost empty it makes such a agonizing noise. Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back