REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Feb 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #736 of 1,534
Quote:
What image file types does the HM-601 recognize for user installed Wallpaper?

I'll like to know that as well... wait, is it even possible?

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #737 of 1,534
Ya , it does gets a lil warm when playing . Same warm when put on charging too ,.

Well , my previous question is still unanswered , is there any Firmware update available for the 601 ??

Everything apart from SD card is working well with me . 

SD card works according to its mood , at times ,while playing a track , it suddenly stops , then again need to pull out the card and insert it back again . 

Is it due to the reason , that i have songs both on flash on board memory ad well as on the card ??
Shall i try deleting data from on-board memory ??/

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #738 of 1,534
Concur: it gets a bit warm whilst playing. I don't care. The combination of high harmonic distortion, Butterworth, and fab 70's robot looks, makes it formiddable. Hifiman didn't make a stellar performer, but for a very specific sort of sound, it is pretty damn good. I've uploaded some RMAA tests of the HM601 driving no load, Victor FX500, and ACS T1.

Here are the RMAA tests of the HM601. I'll ad square wave performance later. Suffice to say, it isn't about performance, something the T51 sort is about. But where the T51 made some bad assumptions and stuck with them only half-arsed, the HM601 does a good job sticking to its guns. I'm not the real market for a player like this, but I like what Hifiman are trying here. 

I wish the firmware was better, and navigation made sense. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #739 of 1,534

Quote:
Concur: it gets a bit warm whilst playing. I don't care. The combination of high harmonic distortion, Butterworth, and fab 70's robot looks, makes it formiddable. Hifiman didn't make a stellar performer, but for a very specific sort of sound, it is pretty damn good. I've uploaded some RMAA tests of the HM601 driving no load, Victor FX500, and ACS T1.

Here are the RMAA tests of the HM601. I'll ad square wave performance later. Suffice to say, it isn't about performance, something the T51 sort is about. But where the T51 made some bad assumptions and stuck with them only half-arsed, the HM601 does a good job sticking to its guns. I'm not the real market for a player like this, but I like what Hifiman are trying here. 

I wish the firmware was better, and navigation made sense. 

Shigzeo,

Fist i need to say that your blogs are excellent.

I have couple of questions. I see that you have reviewed T51 and it also has the similar frequency response as HM-601. How do you compare the two?

I am suffering with HM-601 because of my low impedance and sensitive SE530 IEM. Does an external amp like iBasso T3 will come to my rescue?

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #740 of 1,534
Hope you can do the same treatment to the 4G Touch, would be very interested in how it measure with W4/SM3 for curiosity's sake. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #741 of 1,534
Shigzeo,

Fist i need to say that your blogs are excellent.

I have couple of questions. I see that you have reviewed T51 and it also has the similar frequency response as HM-601. How do you compare the two?

I am suffering with HM-601 because of my low impedance and sensitive SE530 IEM. Does an external amp like iBasso T3 will come to my rescue?

Thank you for the kind comments. I have not gone into testing the line out of the HM601 yet, but will. I just hope that my intention: explaining its signature and its best combination, is clear. Personally, I am strangely smitten by this machine, that overall, isn't the performer that the T51 or iPod touch is. At the same time, I don't choose it above my other players when I want to listen to music. When I do, I like it and the design decisions the developers put into it.

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #742 of 1,534

Quote:
Personally, I am strangely smitten by this machine, that overall, isn't the performer that the T51 or iPod touch is. At the same time, I don't choose it above my other players when I want to listen to music. When I do, I like it and the design decisions the developers put into it.

I feel the same.  Despite my DACPort I couldn't part w/ the unique sound of the NOS DAC in the 602.  My guess is that much of the flaws in the performance are improved via LO.  Don't know but would love to see how the measurements hold up to my ears.  Despite the criticisms and perceived flaws of the NOS DAC I do find it more detailed and resolving than the Sflo2 and QA350 overall IME losing out to the DACPort.  That coupled w/ the unique musical sound that you can listen to hours on end make it a must have for me.    

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #743 of 1,534
The line out isn't great, but it gets the job done. I actually have the sneaking suspicion that what is really loved in this player is the ringing, especially in the intermodal bits. The line out is quite embarrassed by the headphone out, but then again, that may mean that it is favoured by certain people. Again, I think distortion is the word on the streets among people who love the sound of the Hifiman.

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #744 of 1,534
I'd request a replacement from Hifiman to fix the SD card issue. I'm going to send in my 2nd RMA soon, but I am about to take a trip and would like some sort of media player to go with me. Knowing that RMA process will take a month, I am going to wait.

Quote:
Ya , it does gets a lil warm when playing . Same warm when put on charging too ,.

Well , my previous question is still unanswered , is there any Firmware update available for the 601 ??

Everything apart from SD card is working well with me . 

SD card works according to its mood , at times ,while playing a track , it suddenly stops , then again need to pull out the card and insert it back again . 

Is it due to the reason , that i have songs both on flash on board memory ad well as on the card ??
Shall i try deleting data from on-board memory ??/

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #745 of 1,534
Today at University my classmates were actually making fun on how my HM 601 looks, saying things like ''Omg, my mobile phone is thinner and that can also play music'' and ''I hope you didn't pay that much for it'', lol. I just told them the sound is good and indeed the rest is crap.  

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #746 of 1,534

Quote:
Today at University my classmates were actually making fun on how my HM 601 looks, saying things like ''Omg, my mobile phone is thinner and that can also play music'' and ''I hope you didn't pay that much for it'', lol. I just told them the sound is good and indeed the rest is crap.  

well...if i didn't know about it either i probably would have made fun too.  It's big and bulky and semi portable atmost.... most people's music capabilities on their phone is more than adequate enough for them.  

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #747 of 1,534

Hi mate , My SD card issue seems to be resolved now . Earlier , when i posted the issue , i used 16gb microsd class6 card . Which was having multiple files in .m4a formats too . apart from this that card also had some pdf's , pictures , movies in it . Later i removed that card , and tried using a class2 4gb micro sd , formatted the same and then added just one music folder into it . Since then i have had no issues with My HM601 playing files from either the SD card or from onboard flash :)

Cheers for the HM 601 Sound output . I was never so happy with a DAP . Earlier was using a sandisk Fuze , which was also a graet player but this one is just a different league . Now i am planning to move over to its bigger brother hm-801 now :)

Cheers for Head-direct .

I am a big fan of there line up . Earlier have used there IEM's , now loving them for there DAP's too .

Quote:
I'd request a replacement from Hifiman to fix the SD card issue. I'm going to send in my 2nd RMA soon, but I am about to take a trip and would like some sort of media player to go with me. Knowing that RMA process will take a month, I am going to wait.

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #748 of 1,534

Quote:
Hi mate , My SD card issue seems to be resolved now . Earlier , when i posted the issue , i used 16gb microsd class6 card . Which was having multiple files in .m4a formats too . apart from this that card also had some pdf's , pictures , movies in it . Later i removed that card , and tried using a class2 4gb micro sd , formatted the same and then added just one music folder into it . Since then i have had no issues with My HM601 playing files from either the SD card or from onboard flash :)

I just resolved my SD card issues too.  Somewhere along the way the sdcard got corrupted through use or charging in the 602.  Just reformatted and its all good now.  No RMA for me.

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #749 of 1,534

Quote:
The line out is quite embarrassed by the headphone out, but then again, that may mean that it is favoured by certain people. Again, I think distortion is the word on the streets among people who love the sound of the Hifiman.

I find this comment curious.  I just tried my 602 again hot swapping from LO-->Arrow to HO and back a few times.  The HO is definitely noisier on my 602.  So I'd be curious to see what you you mean about the LO being 'embarrassed'.  Especially w/ headphones the HO obviously begins to loose steam for obvious reasons and simply isn't a real option IMO.

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #750 of 1,534
I contacted Head Direct, about the need to reinsert my Kingston 32gb class 4 SD card every time I booted up, asking if a firmware update would be released to fix this problem, or is my player faulty?

They responded by asking me to send it back to them, so it looks like a firmware update isn't in the pipeline.

Having said that, I should get an 8gb version I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back