REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Mar 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #751 of 1,534

Quote:
I contacted Head Direct, about the need to reinsert my Kingston 32gb class 4 SD card every time I booted up, asking if a firmware update would be released to fix this problem, or is my player faulty?

They responded by asking me to send it back to them, so it looks like a firmware update isn't in the pipeline.

Having said that, I should get an 8gb version I suppose.

Did you try reformatting?  Worked for me.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #753 of 1,534
Mar 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #754 of 1,534
Mar 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #756 of 1,534
The update went very smoothly, and though I can't yet tell what has changed, I have had no problems. If anyone can chime in with changes that would be very helpful

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #757 of 1,534
I unwrapped my HM-601 and excitedly updated the firmware, hoping all would be well, but no, the same problem exists, so I don't know what the firmware fixes, but the SHDC card problem isn't one of them.

Off it goes then.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #758 of 1,534

Quote:
I unwrapped my HM-601 and excitedly updated the firmware, hoping all would be well, but no, the same problem exists, so I don't know what the firmware fixes, but the SHDC card problem isn't one of them.

Off it goes then.

Do you have any album art or something like that that might be causing the issue?  If you have a spare card try putting like one wav file on it and seeing if you get the same problem.

Edit - Well that was a rather painless and uneventful update.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #759 of 1,534

Quote:
Do you have any album art or something like that that might be causing the issue?  If you have a spare card try putting like one wav file on it and seeing if you get the same problem.

I did have some album art on it, but deleted everything on the card, formatted and transferred one flac album and nothing else and the problem still existed. I still had this problem with a micro sd, with adapter.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #760 of 1,534

Quote:
I did have some album art on it, but deleted everything on the card, formatted and transferred one flac album and nothing else and the problem still existed. I still had this problem with a micro sd, with adapter.

Gah, does sound like RMA time.  I'm out of ideas.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #761 of 1,534
Damn..at least they should put a release log and say what has been fixed by the patch.

Edit: Great news for me. The 32GB class 4 Patriot SDHC which i got today did not work with my player in the morning. And now it is working like a charm without hot plugging after the firmware update. So, do try your incompatible cards after the update.  

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #763 of 1,534

Quote:
Painless upgrade. Checking now if it works! One mild hiccup is that when restarting, it said: now restarting HM801... quite scary. 

Wow, that's a serious upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #764 of 1,534
Some sort of success, my 16gb Duracell micro sdhc now works fine, so it looks like the problem is the Kingston 32gb sdhc card.

I suppose I can try to swap that with one that definitely works, or a couple of 16gb micro sdhc cards then. 

All of a sudden at lunchtime, I turned the player on and the Kingston now works fine, so I don't know what happened now, but it's all good.

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #765 of 1,534
I got my HM-601 a few days ago. Here's my impressions:

The packaging was very boutique. It demonstrated the fact that head direct is a small company. The pleather box it came in had the bottom falling apart due to the glue unsticking, but it was an easy fix. It came with a chinese power adaptor with a US plug (which means I had to buy yet another because I live in aus). Charging took 2 to 3 hours. It also comes with a microfibre cloth, and decent length usb cable and a velvet bag with strings you pull to close the opening. The hifiman itself was chunky and had a plastic feel to it, but the size was very reasonable. The plastic casing around the directional buttons is raised, which at first annoyed me until I realized how handy it was for preventing accidental button presses.

The sound is #$&@#% amazing!! When people described it as musical I didn't really know what they meant, but for me it's simply a cleaner, more original (real/analog, etc) sound. The hiss originally bothered me a little bit but when listening to music at a comfortable level you cease to hear it. Again, the sq is what I bought it for and it really delivers. I am absolutely satisfied with it. Not being able to play anything but audio is great too, because it meant I can save room by deleting album art and m3u files, etc. 

I experimented a lot with the hi/low gain switch, and noticed that only the bass and details emerged and the volume stayed roughly at the same level with everything else. I usually keep it on high gain with my Westone 4's and leave it at 2 or 3 on the volume control (btw, having an analog volume control wheel is awesome, i love it). With my BeyerDynamic DT770Pros 250 Ohm, the bass and mids are delightful and the volume can be maxed without being painfully loud. You can feel the air move with each bass note, a very different feel to the bass of the Westone 4 iems.

There is absolutely no gapless, not even close. Listening to Cat Power's 'Jukebox' album (192kps) there was a hiss present through out the track, and when it came to the end of the track and the start of the next, all sound (including the hiss) disappeared for up to a second before the hiss kicked in again and the music started. This doesn't bother me much, but it apparently does for other people, as the lengthy threads have documented.

I have some high-resolution (24bit) Chesky Reference albums that I put on the sd card (SanDisk 32gb, class 2) that would simply refuse to play. The whole UI would lag and react strangely, teleporting through folders and not playing anything. This doesn't apply to all 24bit music. My greatest sounding recording is Frank Sinatra's 'Sinatra's Sinatra' album. I usually use the first track, 'I've Got You Under My Skin', which is 24bit/96khz (2962bitrate) flac. Frank's voice sounds beautiful, real and there and right in the centre of your head. It almost feels like you're singing. The high hat has lovely delay and detail, the bass is tight and accurate, the instrument separation shines with the brass, woodwind and string instruments. Everything is clear and the recording has been beautifully mastered (I feel like I'm running out of accurate adjectives to describe these qualities). 2 and a half minutes into the track there's an instrumental interlude, and I swear I could pinpoint EXACTLY where the musicians were standing in respect to me. The trumpet was exactly a metre behind and to the right of me. It felt incredible.

I also auditioned New Order, Blue Oyster Cult, Chopin's Ballades (by an unknown pianist - nb: i could hear their every breath as well as every emotional nuance of the piano), Death, Echo & the Bunnymen, Joy Division, John Coltrane, Deftones, Megadeth, Mozart, The Smiths, Burzum and Fever Ray amongst others. I won't go into details of each one, but the hifiman performed every genre admirably.

The battery lasted 5 days for me before I had to recharge it. I listened to it as I was travelling from location to location (eg, work to home, home to music store, etc), so I'm quite happy with the battery life.

The UI is normally quick and easy to use. Navigation is a breeze but it does lag when it attempts to play incompatible high resolution files.

My class 2 Sandisk SDHC is a pain in the arse to load up, as the transfer speed is shockingly slow (alas, it was cheap) and on every boot I have to reinsert it, which I don't mind because it satisfies my mild OCD (fixed w/ firmware update).

I let a few people listen to it (partner and friends, one of which is a sound engineer). Received quite a few reactions of closed eyes and smiles, and tapping feet, etc. I myself experienced aural orgasm when I first listened to it, the music really excited me and I reacted emotionally which is great for a portable player. My sound engineer friend commented that he could hear the whole mix of the demo tracks clearly on the hifiman.

I just updated the firmware as I was writing this. I no longer have to reinsert the sd card on each boot - win!

Overall, very happy. Best purchase I've made this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back