REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Feb 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #721 of 1,534

Quote:

well I dont think the SD card is corrupt...I can still play back music just fine. Adding music is a different story though.

Well I was referring to the internal flash.  You can corrupt sectors.  Sounds like it might be related to the new 8gig chips or the implementation.

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #722 of 1,534
Yes I know. How can they seriously sell an entire line of products when they perfectly know that their devices are totally flawed and buggy ? What I hate about this is that to them, we're nothing more than stupid (paying !) beta testers.

They shouldn't have released their products so soon. And can you imagine how the poor fellows who have bought the 790 $ HM-801 feel right now ? I'm sure they want to kill them !

Quote:
My plan is just to RMA it as much as possible. 1 year warranty, any time it breaks make them send a new one til I get a good one. lol. I have been very pleased with this product for the last month or so, since my new one arrived. It sounds very good and, despite the anythingbutipodiots opinion, and I have stuck my neck out protecting the HM601. I just dont understand how there can be so many lemmons in a product line. It seems like everyone on here has some kind of issue with theirs not working perfectly. For such a premium price I expected better. If this were a $100 player I would be more lenient.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #723 of 1,534
Question: how long does it take usually for the player to go from fully drained to fully charged? Since it doesn't really have an indicator or at least one that I know of, all I can do is turn it on every once in a while and check. lol

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #724 of 1,534
One of the things that disturbs me is the hiss, although I don't hear it anymore when I turn the music on. 
I can't remember the HM 601 doing this from day 1, but now it is there..

The other thing is that I have to re-insert my SD card every time in order for the player to read it. I believe I didn't have this problem with my old SD card.. it's the same brand and model however so I put it down as fault of the player (I also believe others had this problem). 

Next to that I have to say their e-mail communication really sucks hardcore. Yes, hardcore. I for one, had to sent multiple e-mails just to get an reaction from them (heard nothing for twee weeks, when I replied to the e-mail address which they used to contact me). Only after I e-mailed both e-mailadresses I got a response. Since my last reply/questions I have heard nothing ever since! 

On a more positive note, it seems UPS made a mistake and has promised to contact customs for me.
Now I will have to wait and see if I get any money back and how much it will be.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #725 of 1,534

Quote:
Yes I know. How can they seriously sell an entire line of products when they perfectly know that their devices are totally flawed and buggy ? What I hate about this is that to them, we're nothing more than stupid (paying !) beta testers.

You've obviously never bought a Lotus or Ferrari.  It has to do more w/ the scale of the company.  If you were referring to Microsoft then I would agree.  But this is a small boutique company of a few people.  This is to be expected, shouldn't be a surprise.  If you want extensive support, testing, research I recommend Apple or Sony.  This is about markets and economics not some company trying to swindle you.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #726 of 1,534
No comment.

Quote:
You've obviously never bought a Lotus or Ferrari.  It has to do more w/ the scale of the company.  If you were referring to Microsoft then I would agree.  But this is a small boutique company of a few people.  This is to be expected, shouldn't be a surprise.  If you want extensive support, testing, research I recommend Apple or Sony.  This is about markets and economics not some company trying to swindle you.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #727 of 1,534

Quote:
Question: how long does it take usually for the player to go from fully drained to fully charged? Since it doesn't really have an indicator or at least one that I know of, all I can do is turn it on every once in a while and check. lol

Ms. T (HiFiman support) said 12 hours but this is not true (and thank god for that). Someone else said it was 2.5 hours or so, but I'm not too sure about that. I do the same as you, checking now and then or waiting long enough untill I'm sure it it is fully loaded. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #728 of 1,534

Quote:

I find this bull, but I just wanted to say you can also add Sennheiser to that list. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #729 of 1,534

It usually takes 3 hours to reach a full charge. On my 601, the three charging bars stop animating when it is over (but I have to turn off the auto shut-off function in the settings to be able to check the display from time to time).

Quote:
Ms. T (HiFiman support) said 12 hours but this is not true (and thank god for that). Someone else said it was 2.5 hours or so, but I'm not too sure about that. I do the same as you, checking now and then or waiting long enough untill I'm sure it it is fully loaded. 

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #730 of 1,534
What is the latest firmware available for HM601 ??

Mine is running on Version 0.04 , Date - 2010-11-23 .

I have added 4gb , microsd class4 card , and at times it stops reading the card . 
It says there are no files in the card , then i need to take the card out and re-insert it back again , then the player reads the tracks . 

I am finding plenty of bugs in it :frowning2:

Also , for battery charge indication , the bar stops moving after a while and then when i disconnect the charger then , it shows only 2 bars in signal for battery life indicator ..

If there is any link for a new firmware update available for the HM601 , please let me know guys :)

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #731 of 1,534
Hello,

I'm very sorry to say so, but you're just another victim of Hifiman...

The most "buggy" hardware on Earth. Thank god the owner of this brand is not manufacturing planes or parachutes !

Quote:
What is the latest firmware available for HM601 ??

Mine is running on Version 0.04 , Date - 2010-11-23 .

I have added 4gb , microsd class4 card , and at times it stops reading the card . 
It says there are no files in the card , then i need to take the card out and re-insert it back again , then the player reads the tracks . 

I am finding plenty of bugs in it :frowning2:

Also , for battery charge indication , the bar stops moving after a while and then when i disconnect the charger then , it shows only 2 bars in signal for battery life indicator ..

If there is any link for a new firmware update available for the HM601 , please let me know guys :)

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #732 of 1,534

I've had zero problems with the 801 I bought back in late spring of last year.  YMMV, I suppose.

- Ed

Quote:

They shouldn't have released their products so soon. And can you imagine how the poor fellows who have bought the 790 $ HM-801 feel right now ? I'm sure they want to kill them !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back