REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Feb 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #691 of 1,534
^ Nice you got a pic of the Countach w/ the added front wing and rear 'not quite diffuser' in place of the bumper.  I think I need to accessorize my phones more.  My MDs are looking bland by comparison.  By the way, that car should be white or black.  Red Lamborghinis are just 'wrong' on so many levels.  

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #692 of 1,534
I like red..kind of devilish 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #693 of 1,534
It seems that Road and Driver and Motor Trend only portray red cars on the covers. In subliminal advertising, you learn that "Red" equates to fast.  I like black, too, but it has some bad connotations to it.

That is why almost every fast food restaurant has a logo that  is red and yellow. Red, means you'll get your food fast, and yellow equates to satiation. So if you go into McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Roy Rogers or Arbys....you get your food quickly, and you will walk out feeling full and satisfied.

I know...you never knew that, but dammit it's true. They are all red and yellow. Black symbolizes toughness and more importantly, death. That's why most unmarked police cars are black (Chargers, Mustang 5.0's, Challengers, Camaros, etc). They exude authority, and kick ass, and "you will die, if you don't comply" to the nice State Trooper. You don't want a car with a death subliminal message on the cover of your magazine. Maybe an occassional yellow Corvette, or the likes, to show satiation. Especially when men go through their mid-life crisis.

You've seen the commercial. Flash a somewhat nerdy guy at the dealership, then flash the mid-life crisis car, then flash the beautiful girls. In other words, "If I buy this car" I will have beautiful girls knocking down my door while I am playing GTA IV. Cynical but all too true.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #694 of 1,534
I've learned a new thing today.

I kind of like the red. Black is just a predictable color. Not bold. Yellow is pretty ugly on a car. I despise white cars. They are just wrong and should be outlawed. White and black cars are what the police drive. And I am sure you have heard of yellow cab.

Quote:
It seems that Road and Driver and Motor Trend only portray red cars on the covers. In subliminal advertising, you learn that "Red" equates to fast.  I like black, too, but it has some bad connotations to it.

That is why almost every fast food restaurant has a logo that  is red and yellow. Red, means you'll get your food fast, and yellow equates to satiation. So if you go into McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Roy Rogers or Arbys....you get your food quickly, and you will walk out feeling full and satisfied.

I know...you never knew that, but dammit it's true. They are all red and yellow. Black symbolizes toughness and more importantly, death. That's why most unmarked police cars are black (Chargers, Mustang 5.0's, Challengers, Camaros, etc). They exude authority, and kick ass, and "you will die, if you don't comply" to the nice State Trooper. You don't want a car with a death subliminal message on the cover of your magazine. Maybe an occassional yellow Corvette, or the likes, to show satiation. Especially when men go through their mid-life crisis.

You've seen the commercial. Flash a somewhat nerdy guy at the dealership, then flash the mid-life crisis car, then flash the beautiful girls. In other words, "If I buy this car" I will have beautiful girls knocking down my door while I am playing GTA IV. Cynical but all too true.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #695 of 1,534
I am starting feel that the noise created by amp is creeping into the music. It is very low. Like a projector noise when watching movie in a home theatre. I know that my ears gets trained to ignore them and listen to the movie alone..in this case the music..Anyone else has noticed this or bothered by this? May be it is just an illusion created by the humming noise of the amp in the player before the music begins? or my Shure SE530 is too sensitive and doesn't pair well with HM-601?

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #696 of 1,534

Quote:

Well, I was eluding to Lamborghini's historic inception due to Ferrari's arrogance.  But yes I know Mall shops play up tempo music to enhance sales.  
wink.gif

FYI, White serves a practical purpose on daily driven cars.  They attract and retain the least heat and have the hardest pigment to resist scratches and daily abuse.  It is called 'Championship White' for a reason too.  Red is too pretentious and extroverted for me.  There is a difference between looking and thinking you are fast to actually being so.  
biggrin.gif

Your 530s maybe too sensitive for the 601 especially if used via HO.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #697 of 1,534
I auditioned the 601 shortly with the ES5 via HO and there indeed was a low hiss when music was off and slightly when the music went very quiet, which is making me to audition it again with the Cowon J3, but coming from the i7, I thought the J3 wasn't that different from my i7 through a brief listening session, which makes my quest for a new DAP that much harder.

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #700 of 1,534
is the hm-601 pair well with ath m50 I am very happy with my cans and in process of finding sth to plug it in :D confuse with hm-601 for the sound which was prayed so much here j3 for the long battery life

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #701 of 1,534
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out my next few purchases for source and headphone, but not sure how to proceed. The equipment I've owned or do own. I figure it would help if I gave a bit of history regarding my experience with audio equipment and my preference.

Current sources:
- Aiwa XP-SP800 PCDP (1998)
- E-Mu 0404 PCI (Modded with AD8620 and the buffers and decoupling caps on DAC removed)
- M-Audio Revolution 7.1
- MP3 players (currently Clip+, previously various creative labs, ipods)
- Macbook Pro

Amp:
- Gilmore Lite (sold)

Headphones and speakers:
- Senn HD590 (love the soundstage, but after 10 years they just don't do it for me anymore)
- ATH-A900 (a bit boxy sounding)
- Ety ER4P (sold, sounded sterile and lifeless)
- Ety ER6i (don't use)
- Swans M200

By far, I prefer the Aiwa PCDP. Next favorite would probably be the E-MU 0404/Foobar. I simply cannot tolerate the horrible sound quality from my MP3 players and therefore they simply collect dust. I've tried EQ, but am unable to recreate the sound that comes from the Aiwa PCDP. No offense to anybody, but the clip+ may be more accurate, but it still sounds like garbage to me.

I'm not sure what it is about the Aiwa XP-SP800 that is a match for my taste and I don't even know how to describe the sound, just that my music sounds alive through this device. It's not doing so hot and I fear it is on it's last leg so I'd love to find a new source that can provide the sound I'm looking for.

Would my old Aiwa cd player possibly have the retro sound that is mentioned in this thread? I'm close to buying the 601 in hopes that I can recreate this magical sound coming from my CD player without having to change CDs. Before I read this thread I was considering the Fiio E7/E9 combo and Senn HD598 due to cost but now I'm just not sure. Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #702 of 1,534
Hi,

I know there is a dedicated post on another section of this nice forum, but it has been of no use to me.

I would like to have your feedback regarding the compatibility of SDHC cards with your HM-601, which seems to be different than with the 801.

I have just bought a 32 GB Kingston class 4  card which is totally not compatible with the 601, which get crazy everytime it is plugged in...

Considering I don't want to waste another bucks for nothing, could you tell me which cards work correctly with your device ?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have a 16 GB class 4 Kingston card, compatible this time.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #703 of 1,534

Quote:
Hi,

I know there is a dedicated post on another section of this nice forum, but it has been of no use to me.

I would like to have your feedback regarding the compatibility of SDHC cards with your HM-601, which seems to be different than with the 801.

I have just bought a 32 GB Kingston class 4  card which is totally not compatible with the 601, which get crazy everytime it is plugged in...

Considering I don't want to waste another bucks for nothing, could you tell me which cards work correctly with your device ?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have a 16 GB class 4 Kingston card, compatible this time.

What problems are you having? I'm also using a 32 gb kingston class 4 and it works perfectly.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #704 of 1,534
I also use Kingston class 4 32gb. works good.

However I am having another issue: My USB plug no longer brings up the data transfer. If the HM601 is powered off, USB plug turns it on. But my pc never recognizes the flash drives in it. I've tried rebooting, using a different computer, reset switch. nothing works. I cant load new music on to this thing lol. What the heck am I supposed to do.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #705 of 1,534

Quote:
I also use Kingston class 4 32gb. works good.

However I am having another issue: My USB plug no longer brings up the data transfer. If the HM601 is powered off, USB plug turns it on. But my pc never recognizes the flash drives in it. I've tried rebooting, using a different computer, reset switch. nothing works. I cant load new music on to this thing lol. What the heck am I supposed to do.

Did you flip your switch on the DAP to USB?  Are you plugged into the Data/Exc port or the USB DAC?  I'm hesitant to answer as the last time I tried to help someone w/ their 602 I was banished for 30 days.  If that doesn't work PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back