REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Feb 13, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #676 of 1,534

Quote:
Dang finally got my hands on some 24/96 album. Wow it sounds impossibly good. Not sure if I'll be able to go back to 16 bit lol.

I don't have that luck with my only 24/96 album..the player crashes when i play that...may be because it is 5.1 channel :frowning2:

Edit: I converted the 5.1 to stereo using foobar. All is fine now :D

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #680 of 1,534
where do you guys find all of these different formats? .ape where the heck does that even come from (god forbid you payed money for mediamonkey to make a .ape file). Just be normal and use flacs. foobar2k can rip your CDs to flac or mp3s or whatever, completely free.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #681 of 1,534

Quote:
where do you guys find all of these different formats? .ape where the heck does that even come from (god forbid you payed money for mediamonkey to make a .ape file). Just be normal and use flacs. foobar2k can rip your CDs to flac or mp3s or whatever, completely free.

It has nothing to do with Mediamonkey, although I can see why you would think that. http://www.monkeysaudio.com/
I agree with you Lubanja, why not just use FLAC instead......convert your existing APEs to FLACs if you have them.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #682 of 1,534
I believe that this has been posted somewhere in this thread before.
HM-601 is supposed to support the following formats (mine does most of the times):

FLAC: VBR 16bit
APE: High Mode, Normal, Fast.
AAC: 16 to 320 kbps.
WMA: 8 to 356 kbps.
OGG: Quality 0 to Quality 10.
WAV: PCM, MSW-ADPCM, IMA-ADPCM
MP3: 8 to 320 kbps. 

I use dbpoweramp converter to achieve these formats by ripping or converting,  very easy to use and completely free. I really don't use Mediamonkey Gold to rip or convert anything, but it can relativ easily be used for  "free" as well!!

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #683 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:

It has nothing to do with Mediamonkey, although I can see why you would think that. http://www.monkeysaudio.com/
I agree with you Lubanja, why not just use FLAC instead......convert your existing APEs to FLACs if you have them.

Having a lot of different DAPs, this is the best solution. I store my files in two version: 320k Mp3 and FLAC => no problems with file support.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #684 of 1,534
Quote:
am i being stupid but is there a specific list of the supported formats.  mine seems to be a little hit and miss in picking up files

You will be better off just using either mp3 and FLAC, which are the two most stable format supported by HifiMan. If you have problem with either format, it is likely coming from the ID3Tag being too complex (i.e. big album art, etc).

Quote:

APE is just a big format in China, so it is natively supported by the chipset used in HifiMan (which is RockChip, a Chinese chip maker)

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #685 of 1,534
Interesting, I didn't know about the popularity of the APE format in China. I agree, that APE in my experience, does not work as well on my HM-601 as some of the other formats it supports like Flac, mp3, wma, ogg vorbis. The APE files seems to sometimes slow down the GUI.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #687 of 1,534
I hear the hum with SE530 too. It is random. More noticeable sometimes stepping into the songs for few seconds...even noticeable between the track changes. This changes after like 10-15 mins of usage. It also picks up the interferences easily from speakers, mobile phones etc. One strange thing happened today. My player picked up a local radio channel albeit at a very low volume when i turned on the player. The volume of the radio channel did not increase when i increased the volume of the player. Only the headphone out is having all these noises. Line out is pretty clean.

I missed to break my rip from DVD-A to multiple files. Tried to open a large flac of 1GB size. My player hanged and there was no way to reboot. I am waiting for the charge to go out and the player to reset itself. For once i am thankful that the charge for the player is less 
mad.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #690 of 1,534
From my personal experience with the DT-880/250 and my Ti1 600 Ohm, I would definitely suggest an amp. 600 ohms is difficult to drive although the T-1's act more like a 300 ohm headphone and they good, but no]y great. In other words, you are not allowing the headphones fullest potential, and that is a waste of valuable resourses!

Like having  a Lamborghini Countach  and driving around in bumper to bumper traffic, all day long.  A waste of valuable resources.

Can it be done? Yes, Should you do it? Heck no.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Users who are viewing this thread

Back