REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Mar 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #766 of 1,534

Quote:

I have some high-resolution (24bit) Chesky Reference albums that I put on the sd card (SanDisk 32gb, class 2) that would simply refuse to play. The whole UI would lag and react strangely, teleporting through folders and not playing anything. This doesn't apply to all 24bit music. 

Make sure it is not 24/88. The three players will only play 24/96.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #767 of 1,534

Quote:
I experimented a lot with the hi/low gain switch, and noticed that only the bass and details emerged and the volume stayed roughly at the same level with everything else. 

Interesting..i use high gain only when i need to double the volume from to 2 to around 4+ without looking at the volume knob. The is with SE530.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #769 of 1,534

Quote:
I wasnt aware that the high/low gain switch did anything with the sound bass/treble/clarity. I just figured it was an alternate volume measure. Can anyone confirm ?

It should just be volume.  Usually increasing the volume impacts bass, clarity and treble.  This is why we have to watch out for going deaf.

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #770 of 1,534
I noticed a similar effect so I just use line out into my Arrow 1G and don't play with the gain.

I am in love with the 601, Arrow and ATH-AD900. Can't wait for my DBA-02's to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwazajebista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I experimented a lot with the hi/low gain switch, and noticed that only the bass and details emerged and the volume stayed roughly at the same level with everything else.

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #772 of 1,534
well the hiss is noticeable only in very quiet envt. I use my player only when i travel (in bus). It is not noticeable at that time. Sometimes i see that hiss not there completely. May be because i keep the player properly charged always? i don't know. I have become less disturbed by the hiss now than in the initial first week of listening. 

After two months, i feel that the player has opened up more and i enjoy the music a bit more than i did initially. I am not sure whether the inbuilt amp required some burn in time.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #774 of 1,534
thanks for all the impressions and reports here. well, I finally ordered one myself, after dithering over the xmas deal, and worrying about usability complaints, and so forth. will be nice to have some portability for hirez files, which is ultimately the only reason I opted for a new DAP.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #775 of 1,534

Quote:
Make sure it is not 24/88. The three players will only play 24/96.

It's .ape format, bitrate showing as 436, frequency as 44.1k and encoder as 'Monkey's Audio v3.97 (Extra High)'.

Quote:
I wasnt aware that the high/low gain switch did anything with the sound bass/treble/clarity. I just figured it was an alternate volume measure. Can anyone confirm ?

Keep in mind that this audition was mainly done with Westone 4's, which have an impedance of 31 ohms. My best guess (as an amateur and ignoramus of electrical/audio components) is that the extra power boosts the lower/mid frequencies because they require more juice than the high end. That, or the hifiman treble roll off is shining through by refusing to increase the treble in volume at the same rate as the bass and mids. The clarity and details I'm again going to attribute to higher ohm iem's requiring more juice.

Another update: I still have to eject and re-insert the sd card for the hifiman to find anything on it. After updating the firmware the first two reboots didn't have this problem, but since the third reboot it's been happening again.

Quote:
thanks for all the impressions and reports here. well, I finally ordered one myself, after dithering over the xmas deal, and worrying about usability complaints, and so forth. will be nice to have some portability for hirez files, which is ultimately the only reason I opted for a new DAP.

I hope you enjoy it! It's a lot more useable than people have been saying. The only thing is finding a compatible card and tracks. Besides that, the UI is quite quick and to the point.

I agonised over buying it for months. Initially I wanted the HM-801 and Westone ES5's, but an impending eurotrip forced me to go a little lower. I'm glad I bought it in the end though.

It's not nearly half the brick people complain it is. It's actually quite small and fits well in my jeans/work pants/shorts pockets. I don't own any skin tight pants so I guess I'm lucky. I saw a size comparison of the 601 to the 801, and now having bought a 601, all fears that the 801 is an oversized brick are completely diminished. Can't wait to be able to buy the 801. 
tongue.gif

Also, to whoever is thinking of buying this, make sure you have a collection of high rez files ready. I've been listening to 192khz mp3's with the hifiman of various things that I don't yet own in a high resolution format and it doesn't justify the price. Crap in, crap out. Its almost disappointing listening to lower resolution files as I got used to the great sound and for some strange reason it feels like its the hifimans fault even though it's not at all. So everyone make sure you have high rez files!

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #776 of 1,534
Hello!

I own the HM-801 and HM-601 and therefore, I would like to leave a note: These two DAP's are completely different animals. The HM-601 has a warm, sweet yet energetic, analog with spacial sound, while the HM-801 is bright, has less bass, mids are more recessed and the sound is not as spatial as the HM-601. The HM-801 has a common sound, nothing more.

The HM-801 can be compared to a Cowon J3, for example, while the HM-601 can be compared to a high-end turntables. I never heard a DAP that could be compared to HM-601.

Finally, nothing in the HM-801 justifies its size, weight and price. If you liked the HM-601, do not even think about getting the HM-801. He's not worth it.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
... Can't wait to be able to buy the 801. 
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #777 of 1,534
The 601 has some issues with certain APE files.  convert it to FLAC and it will play.  Not sure why this is the case.

Quote:
It's .ape format, bitrate showing as 436, frequency as 44.1k and encoder as 'Monkey's Audio v3.97 (Extra High)'.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #779 of 1,534

I don't, though I may add a pico slim or an arrow one day
Quote:
those who have the 601: do you amp or not?

Have you listened to the 601 with your pico or tomahawk? If so I would be very interested in your impressions

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #780 of 1,534

Quote:
Hello!

I own the HM-801 and HM-601 and therefore, I would like to leave a note: These two DAP's are completely different animals. The HM-601 has a warm, sweet yet energetic, analog with spacial sound, while the HM-801 is bright, has less bass, mids are more recessed and the sound is not as spatial as the HM-601. The HM-801 has a common sound, nothing more.

The HM-801 can be compared to a Cowon J3, for example, while the HM-601 can be compared to a high-end turntables. I never heard a DAP that could be compared to HM-601.

Finally, nothing in the HM-801 justifies its size, weight and price. If you liked the HM-601, do not even think about getting the HM-801. He's not worth it.

Cheers,

Peter

Wow, interesting remarks on the 801.  Good to hear a different view.  Thx.  Which amp card are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back