REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Jan 1, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #437 of 1,534
Initial impressions: incredible clarity. Mind you I am coming from an Auzentech Prelude Soundcard to this, but this things beats the heck out of my $200 sound card (arguably the best soundcard on the market). It flows great with SR225i's that I use, increasing their bass while reducing the harshness. Initial impressions are a match made in heaven, but of course I will need more listening time to verify.

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #438 of 1,534

Quote:
Initial impressions: incredible clarity. Mind you I am coming from an Auzentech Prelude Soundcard to this, but this things beats the heck out of my $200 sound card (arguably the best soundcard on the market). It flows great with SR225i's that I use, increasing their bass while reducing the harshness. Initial impressions are a match made in heaven, but of course I will need more listening time to verify.

That sounds like some great synergy.  Nice combo.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #439 of 1,534

Quote:
They're all flac files mate, so shouldn't be a problem.  What card do you have mate?

I have a feeling that buying it from the Bay could be the problem, you think I'd have learned my lesson after buying some fake IE7's, but I'll wait until the reader turns up first.

Sandisk 32 GB Ultra Class 4, bought from Amazon.de (de = deutschland = germany, was cheaper than in my own country (Holland))
I bear with you on the Ebay thing as I have also bought fake stuff over there.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #440 of 1,534
After putting loads of music on the SD card, I am having issues getting the thing to play. It always seems to freeze while navigating. even if I am just navigating to the Settings menu. Do I need a firmware update, perhaps. Or are there certain file types that just shouldnt be put on? (cue maybe?) I'm at a loss...I dont know what to say.

edit; mkay this thing requires a lot of figuring out, but I may be working otu the kinks...I hope

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #441 of 1,534
Lubanja,

It might seem strange to read, but I'm afraid this is perfectly normal ! My 601 also does this all the time. Either it completely freezes, or it becomes incredibly slow while navigating. Not without mentioning that it basically dies almost every time I try to play a cue sheet.

The thing with the Hifiman is that when it works, it sounds really really good, much better than others. But it rarely works as advertised actually.

We just have to get used to it, and cross our fingers for a valid firmware update... which should have already arrived by the way !

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #442 of 1,534
I'm sorry but no that is not normal. There's a chance it could be the cue files but unlikely. My 601 has never froze or been incredibly slow while navigating. It has worked fine since I got it without any of those issues.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #443 of 1,534
hi all,

quite interested in knowing more about the hm801, 601 and 602.

it would be helpful if somebody could describe the major differences between the 3 models, from what i read so far the 601 and 602 lacks a removable amp module? And all 3 use different dac chips?

What other differences are there between the 601 602 in relation to the 801?

thanks!

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #444 of 1,534
Thought you might be interested in my review of HM602 and HM801. I have not heard HM601, but it has been described to be fairly close to the sound of HM602, so that will give you an idea if you read HM602's review.

Quote:
hi all,

quite interested in knowing more about the hm801, 601 and 602.

it would be helpful if somebody could describe the major differences between the 3 models, from what i read so far the 601 and 602 lacks a removable amp module? And all 3 use different dac chips?

What other differences are there between the 601 602 in relation to the 801?

thanks!

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #445 of 1,534

Quote:
I'm sorry but no that is not normal. There's a chance it could be the cue files but unlikely. My 601 has never froze or been incredibly slow while navigating. It has worked fine since I got it without any of those issues.

Well, you are very lucky then. As an example, can you read .ape files without freezing your device ? Are all of your .cue files functioning correctly ?!

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #446 of 1,534
regardless if he is lucky or not, my player is unacceptable I will be RMAing first thing tomorrow... It freezes constantly, just plain refuses to turn on a lot, and now i've been getting funky characters in my menu. Definitely out of the norm and for the price I expect near perfection.. o.O

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #447 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:

Well, you are very lucky then. As an example, can you read .ape files without freezing your device ? Are all of your .cue files functioning correctly ?!

I have neither ape files or cue files on my 601. The only files outside of those files that are automatically generated by your computer all I have are flac files or mp3 files. I don't know how to use cue files and I find ape files to be not as compatible as flac.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #448 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have neither ape files or cue files on my 601. The only files outside of those files that are automatically generated by your computer all I have are flac files or mp3 files. I don't know how to use cue files and I find ape files to be not as compatible as flac.

That explains it. One of the advantages of the 601 over other players is supposed to be its support of .cue files, ape files etc. Apart from that, my own 601 also reads most of my .flac (nonetheless, it's not so 24 bit friendly) and mp3. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #449 of 1,534

Quote:
regardless if he is lucky or not, my player is unacceptable I will be RMAing first thing tomorrow... It freezes constantly, just plain refuses to turn on a lot, and now i've been getting funky characters in my menu. Definitely out of the norm and for the price I expect near perfection.. o.O

Probably issue with ID3tag. HIfiMan doesn't support anything but the most simplest of ID3 (and definitely not album art). You can try removing all the ID3tag and see if those files will play normally.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #450 of 1,534

Can someone offer advice on the procedure of how things should happen after i place my order online?

I placed my order for the hm601 combo on 31st Dec 2010 and immediately i received an email from paypal that my payment of USD$259+$20 has been sent to the seller.

So then am i supposed to receive a confirmation email from head-direct or an email asking for my mobile number or telling me my delivery status? Or do i just wait for the package to be delivered to my home address?

thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back