[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jun 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #1,801 of 2,011

Quote:
Update after slightly over 100 hours of burn in the right ear piece has no sound coming out of it.  Looks like these are going back and I will be purchasing the Vsonic GR07 instead.

It looks like the same thing happened to me too. After about 100 hours of use, now the right earbud no longer outputs sound. It doesn't appear to be a wire fault since wiggling the wires does nothing... applying some pressure to the silver backing sometimes makes sound kick in, and then it drops as soon as pressure is dropped. It seems something is loose in the earpiece itself.

So disappointing, these failed the day before a 10 hour trip.. now I have to go back to the crappy sennheiser cx-55.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #1,802 of 2,011
@Elanzer, that sure is a cable issue.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #1,803 of 2,011
I just sent my pair back to the shop where i got them, like some of you said, the right earpiece stopped sounding with no apparent reason. They are my favorite pair of earphones so i expect a new pair soon, meanwhile i'll enjoy my Eterna and M1.

PS: Suggestion on upgrading from this on a similar sound signature or a good pairing with an amp?

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #1,804 of 2,011

Quote:
I just sent my pair back to the shop where i got them, like some of you said, the right earpiece stopped sounding with no apparent reason. They are my favorite pair of earphones so i expect a new pair soon, meanwhile i'll enjoy my Eterna and M1.

PS: Suggestion on upgrading from this on a similar sound signature or a good pairing with an amp?

Suggestion on upgrades with similar sound signature.  Look at any of the following:
  1. RE-ZERO
  2. Sunrise Xcape (IDK if v2 is that much similar to the RE0; but the v1 was pretty darn close)
  3. Etymotic MC5 (or MC3 if you want a mic) was also considered to be really close to the RE0 signature as well.

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #1,805 of 2,011
Exactly the symptoms mine demonstrated.
Tinyman, I have both and the Ety MC5 doesn't sound that similar to me. YMMV. Listening to the MC5 brings on listener fatigue. I would like to find something that has those nice, smooth mids and upper midrange with the nice micro-detail.  I wonder how the MC5 would do with a cmoy. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #1,806 of 2,011
Hmmm... now I wonder if they just had a bad batch or what, since that's 4 posts in a week that had the exact same dead right-bud issue?

I'm wondering if I should even bother with a replacement or just try for a refund to buy something else, I don't want another pair if it's just going to happen again. They sound great, but that doesn't matter if the current revision can't hold up in build quality.

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #1,807 of 2,011

Quote:
Suggestion on upgrades with similar sound signature.  Look at any of the following:
  1. RE-ZERO
  2. Sunrise Xcape (IDK if v2 is that much similar to the RE0; but the v1 was pretty darn close)
  3. Etymotic MC5 (or MC3 if you want a mic) was also considered to be really close to the RE0 signature as well.

But those don't seem like real upgrades on quality for me, i was talking about things like ck10 but not so expensive, maybe the dba-02, brainwavz B2 (i love mi M1)

By the way, I sent the Re0 on friday and the new ones are back, even without the propper burn-in i'm enjoying them as ever, really love this little guys!!!

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #1,809 of 2,011
Jul 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #1,810 of 2,011
I've burned my RE0's in for a good 60 or 70 hours now and they sound absolutely fantastic.  The sound much smoother and cohesive than vs out of the box.  The detail and clarity continue to make my jaw drop and now they handle complex passages with such ease and impeccable instrument separation.

Among all the things they do well, one thing I have to mention is how they portray sound effects and instruments sweeps.  Of all my phones (the custom 1964-Quad included!), the RE0 floor me most with this one aspect in music.. the left/right pans and sweeps are so clear, evenly distributed, and detailed.. I just shake my head in disbelief.. at $80 these phones are unreal when it comes to VFM.. allowing the budget minded to experience true, reference quality sound. 

The RE0 is much more DAP friendly now too.. Not only can my iPhone and M6 drive them to ample volume (albeit it close to max volume), they also sound quite good from those sources (especially the M6).  I've rarely reached for the Arrow or E5 after significantly burning them in... but amp them and you've got a true audio titan in your ears.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #1,811 of 2,011
Quote:

The RE0 is much more DAP friendly now too.. Not only can my iPhone and M6 drive them to ample volume (albeit it close to max volume), they also sound quite good from those sources (especially the M6).  I've rarely reached for the Arrow or E5 after significantly burning them in... but amp them and you've got a true audio titan in your ears.

Spot on! The new RE0 versions sound much better unamped to my ears as well. No question about it. The bass reaches lower, mids are richer and smoother and the treble is more controlled vs. the old versions. But I think even amped, RE0 V3 and V4 are also better than V1 and V2.

BTW, bad news: the left side on my RE0 stopped working yesterday! It lost volume gradually over a period of about 30 minutes and then just went completely silent ...
frown.gif
But today I took them out of case and both sides were working perfectly fine again.
blink.gif
I won't be taking any chances though I will send it back to Fang for a replacement ASAP.

And now the good news: After about 100 hours of burn in, my RE0 V4 is transforming into an unbelievable performer. I think it sounds even better than the V3 now, although I may have just gotten used to it. There is so much depth to the sound, the mids are silky smooth and bass is extremely deep, defined and detailed. And all this straight out of my Clip!
biggrin.gif
I'll have to buy another pair or two as backups now just in case Fang decides to modify RE0 again and messes things up this time. lol But seriously, I really hope the build quality issues will be resolved in the future.

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,812 of 2,011

Quote:

Spot on! The new RE0 versions sound much better unamped to my ears as well. No question about it. The bass reaches lower, mids are richer and smoother and the treble is more controlled vs. the old versions. But I think even amped, RE0 V3 and V4 are also better than V1 and V2.

BTW, bad news: the left side on my RE0 stopped working yesterday! It lost volume gradually over a period of about 30 minutes and then just went completely silent ...
frown.gif
But today I took them out of case and both sides were working perfectly fine again.
blink.gif
I won't be taking any chances though I will send it back to Fang for a replacement ASAP.

And now the good news: After about 100 hours of burn in, my RE0 V4 is transforming into an unbelievable performer. I think it sounds even better than the V3 now, although I may have just gotten used to it. There is so much depth to the sound, the mids are silky smooth and bass is extremely deep, defined and detailed. And all this straight out of my Clip!
biggrin.gif
I'll have to buy another pair or two as backups now just in case Fang decides to modify RE0 again and messes things up this time. lol But seriously, I really hope the build quality issues will be resolved in the future.

right after the hf5 purchase , now i read them and i  gotta purchase re0 ASAP.. thank you for hurting my wallet that much Pianist.

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,814 of 2,011
My right earbud has a loose wire...  Darn, they are such great IEMs too :frowning2:  Well, off to email Head-Direct.  Does anyone know if you pay shipping costs if you send in for repairs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back