[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jun 19, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,786 of 2,011
Quote:
Decay determines those subtle harmonics?  Somehow I disagree, HD600 has much slower decay but its timbre is indistinguishable from RE0's, so it is also bringing out those harmonics, or not obscuring them or whatever it is that these two headphones do that almost all others do not to my ears.  Personally, I do prefer quick decay, it gives a sense of "more speed", and I like plenty.  TF10 is about as quick as RE0/RE252/ZERO, but fails with the harmonics yet it does not sound as thin in the mids as RE0.  MTPC is quite full-sounding, but its decay is only slightly behind TF10 and the Hifimans, and it also fails to make instruments sound as natural and believable as the Hifimans, RE0 being the best at it to my ears..  So you find FX700 to be even better?  I'd be interested, but I'm taking a break from IEMs lately.  They tire my ears very quickly these days, so I settle for HD25-1 as they never cause me fatigue on the go.

I also feel RE0/252/ZERO hide a little information, but compared to my MTPC.

Yes, I think FX700 is even more detailed than RE0, but whether or not it sounds more natural is surely debatable. I think with some instruments, like strings FX700 sounds better. With acoustic guitars, I prefer RE0. Overall, FX700 sound has more depth, dynamics and micro detail. RE0 is more tonally accurate overall with a more neutral frequency response, but doesn't sound as powerful as FX700.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #1,787 of 2,011
Received the RE0 in the mail today so these impressions are after one hour of listening.. and I'm already impressed.

The number of similarities between the (amped) RE0 & (unamped) GR07 is FRIGHTENING.  The GR07 is a smoother sounding phone overall while the RE0 is comparatively sharper.  The RE0 is still very smooth and for all the crispness and clarity they present, I'm amazed they show no signs of sibilance and maintain a pleasant, easy sound.  The slight smoothness of the GR07 hides some of the micro details the RE0 is able to reveal (when amped).

The bass on both are about the same when it comes to texturing but the GR07's bass is more impactful, has better dynamic, and sounds more full from sub bass to the upper bass/lower midrange.  Again, a slightly unfair comparison at this point as the GR07 have over 300 hours on them & the RE0 only an hour.

Vocals sound ever so slightly more natural from the GR07 at this point, but the RE0 has better timbre and detail.. the RE0 looks like it's got serious potential once sufficiently burned in.  There is a very slight upper midrange peak but I don't find it distracting or overly fatiguing (like I did with the GR07 until it was extensively burned in).  I could see the RE0 possessing better vocal quality once burned in too.  The GR07 has a wider soundstage.

I don't find the midrange on the RE0 recessed at all.. it's not forward either.. the bass sounds a very shy step behind the midrange and the treble sounds a very shy step ahead of the midrange.. but these are some of the most cohesive sounding phones I've ever heard, when amped.  Simply stunning.  The midrange isn't thin sounding to me in the least.. it isn't as dynamic as I would like at this point, but it's well balanced and the timbre is excellent.  The lower midrange needs to gain some warmth to provide more balance for (distorted) rock guitars and the like.  The midrange sounds like the foundation of the RE0 sound, much like the GR07.. while both are not midforward phones.

And lastly.. the treble.  Smooth, extended, highly detailed, and possessing a terrific balance between crisp and smooth.  They definitely live up to the reputation that follows them.  I was somewhat surprised by how they sounded, actually.. after reading so much about the fabled treble, I was expecting something brighter, more forward, and attention grabbing (in a bad way).  What I'm hearing is actually exactly what I wanted.. the treble sounds effortless and the timbre is incredible.  It's never distracting or shrill.  The treble quality looks like it will surpass that of the GR07 in time though.  The RE0's clarity and instrument separation in the treble range must be heard to be appreciated.. it's top shelf all the way.

All my impressions were from an amped RE0.  Unamped, they sounded decent from my iPhone.. dynamics noticeably suffered and they sounded tinny and thin.. amping these phones is like a revelation from God.. particularly with the robust, neutral Arrow.. I'm not sure if there is phone I own or have heard, IEM or full sized, that pairs better with the Arrow than the RE0.  Their lack of coloration fits the RE0's neutral, balanced sound like a glove if you want a highly transparent listening experience.  Adequately amping these phones is simply a MUST if you want to hear their full potential.

A word about their bass.. they are NOT bass light, IMO.  Balanced and not artificially boosted is how I would describe them.  The go just as deep as the GR07, but are thinner sounding right now.

Can these coexist with my GR07?  YES.  I doubt the RE0 will leave my home since I rarely take a portable on the go with me.. that's where the GR07 will fit perfectly.. At home and always amped is how these will be used.

Re: build quality.. I see no issues.. the cable is very nice for me.. smooth, ample thickness.. the angled strain relief for the plug is robust.. The driver housing feels sturdy enough too.  For all the handwringing HD has received for their poor craftsmanship, it looks to me like they got it right with v.3 of the RE0.  They're not as robust as the GR07 (heck, what is?) but from what I've read, they're MILES ahead of what earlier variations of the RE0.

I'll post back after these get ample burn in.  If you've got an amp handy, these might be the greatest VFM in the history of IEMs.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #1,788 of 2,011
The Arrow and RE0 does sound like an interesting combo.  Haven't tried that yet w/ bassboost.  Hmm.....

For me, I guess thin bass=bass light.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,789 of 2,011
Well, I am not surprised RE0 can compete with GR07. After 40+ hours of burn in, it can compete with my FX700 and e-Q5 unamped. To my ears, RE0 doesn't have any peaks in the upper mids. The lower treble from ~6-8 kHz is a bit recessed. Upper highs are almost perfectly flat. Bass and mids are also almost neutral. Overall, RE0 is quite neutral in response, except for the somewhat recessed 6-8 kHz region. But its detail resolution and clarity are amazing.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #1,791 of 2,011
Anybody ever amped the RE0s with a Mini^3? how is that combo supposed to sound?

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #1,792 of 2,011
Experimenting with the tips & I've settled on the smaller of the two included, clear-ish, stock bi-flange tips.  Oddly enough, this is the first IEM where a dual flange actually fits best.  I've always been a "single flange/deep insertion" guy.. With those soft, dual flanges my goodness are these comfortable!  They practically disappear in my ears.  The dual flange provides much better soundstage and imaging than the single flange, in my experience.  Their tremendous clarity, detail, and excellent instrument separation becomes much more apparent with them while maintaining a fantastic, cohesive sound.  Everything sounded too congested/closed in with the single flange.  The bi-flange also reveals the wonderfully AIRY treble.. that, the smooth evenness of the presentation, and mindbogglingly clean detailed sound are the most addicting & unique qualities of the RE0.  They're not "musical" phones in their common definition, but they're very engaging to my ears.. it's the clean, effortless feel they have that makes anything sound so good with them.

I flipped the Arrow's bass boost to 1 and oh boy.. can the bass on the RE0 go deep.. it's texture is top notch! It gains the exquisitely controlled but dynamic thump of a well built, hifi subwoofer.  The Arrow's bass boost implementation is the best I've heard in a portable and it really shows of when paired with the RE0.  No bass bleed to be found and it's deep, tight, and punchy.. exactly what the RE0 likes.

I find myself increasingly realizing that if all I had left at this point was the RE0 & Arrow.. I would be totally satisfied! Why did I sleep on these for so long?  Listening to well recorded smooth jazz with an amped RE0.. i.e. Paul Hardcastle's "6".. is some kind of sinful treat to my ears.

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,793 of 2,011
Guys, does anybody use a rockboxed Clip with RE0? I think I've been listening at very loud volumes lately, but I am not sure. The quietest song I have on the player, I can tolerate listening at max volume, although that's bordering on too loud. Usually, I find that for most music, fairly loud is -10 to -5, but I can tolerate 0 with most music. Wonder if that's normal.

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #1,794 of 2,011
@Pianist, i use a Rockboxed Fuze, and getting to 0dB on RB is pretty normal for me when using RE0s straight out of the Fuze.
though i have seen that, atleast my ears get used to low volumes. its like when listening to -5, for extended periods of time, anything near 0dB sounds too loud for atleast some time.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,795 of 2,011
Quote:
@Pianist, i use a Rockboxed Fuze, and getting to 0dB on RB is pretty normal for me when using RE0s straight out of the Fuze.
though i have seen that, atleast my ears get used to low volumes. its like when listening to -5, for extended periods of time, anything near 0dB sounds too loud for atleast some time.

That's good to hear. The problem is that I used to be able to enjoy the RE0 at -42 on the RB Clip. Now, I find it too quiet... I did build up my low volume tolerance very gradually though. Perhaps because I listen to headphones much less now than I used to, I need to retrain my brain again to learn to listen at the low volumes.

But back on topic: My new RE0 v4 is sounding better and better. They have about 50 hours of burn in on them now. I just briefly AB'ed it with the v3 however, and the v3 still sounds better, but now the difference is much smaller between the two and it may even just be a difference in fit, since the v4 has a longer nozzle and fits deeper. The main difference after 50 hours of burn in is that the sound is now much more even and transparent than at the beginning. It sounds smoother and more effortless. The v3 seems even more transparent, but like I said, it may be because it fits my ears better.  I am amazed by how effortless these IEMs sound, especially the v3. Music just seems to flow right through it with no obstacles at all. The RE0 provides a feeling of direct connection to the music that almost no other headphone I tried.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #1,796 of 2,011

Quote:
Guys, does anybody use a rockboxed Clip with RE0? I think I've been listening at very loud volumes lately, but I am not sure. The quietest song I have on the player, I can tolerate listening at max volume, although that's bordering on too loud. Usually, I find that for most music, fairly loud is -10 to -5, but I can tolerate 0 with most music. Wonder if that's normal.

I just happened to purchase a Clip+, tossed rockbox on it and received my RE0 today. I use 0 to -5dB volume at most times. Driving RE0 from a Clip+ is pretty borderline, but really depends on the environment you're in I guess.

While my RE0 are still burning in and have less than an hour of use, they're incredibly bass-light coming out of the Clip+, but connected to my NFB-12 they aren't so bad (but still recessed). I had to EQ the crap out of it on the Clip+ to make it usable on my motorcycle, because while riding all you can hear are the highs, with very weak mids and totally absent lows otherwise, but that isn't entirely the fault of the headphone (should have maybe looked into some decent noise cancelling ones for that). The quality and overall retrieval stomps all over my cheap Sennheiser CX-55 that it replaced though. RE0 actually reminds me of my ATH-M50, but with less bass, and possibly more soundstage.

Guess I'll throw the clip+ and RE0 in a drawer and loop through at 0dB volume for a few days.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,797 of 2,011
I received my RE0's on Monday and have been burning them in with 10-30,000 frequency loops and some pink and white noise through the nights and music during the days.  By tomorrow morning they will have over 100 hours on them and I must say I really enjoy the sound.  I have preordered a sflo2 (16gb) version and was wondering if it would need an amp or if it would handle them on its own.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #1,799 of 2,011
Mine have reached close to 70 hours and something about their sound has definitely changed.. for the better.  They're much more cohesive sounding, smoother, and better controlled from end to end.  These are really some spectacular phones.  Early on, complex passages tended to get congested more often than not, especially when listening unamped.  Now, those same sequences sound very well separated and the clarity & detail of each instrument is stunning.  The midrange sounds more forward and possess better timbre now as the bass has loosened up considerably.

I can drive the RE0 surprising well from the iPhone now too.  Not only do they get loud, but they sound quite dynamic and robust.  I'm listening to Big Bud's fantastic new DnB album, Kool Beans, and the way the RE0 can reproduce the copious amounts of subterranean bass with such ease, clarity, and power is something else.  Again, this was unamped from my iPhone (volume was at ~90% but it was not strained or harsh sounding).

I've had no build quality problems so far but based on Poimandres' experience, I'm not so sure I want to see what will happen when they get to 100 hours.. LOL.

deadhorse.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #1,800 of 2,011
Well now I feel a bit silly after saying the RE0 were super bass-light. I just never had good enough isolation / placement in my ear was off, after getting it right now bass definitely goes deep. With just a slight EQ adjustment from the rockbox'd Clip+, even DnB music has nice impact. Now it just simply reminds me of ATH-M50 with better soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back