[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jul 31, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,832 of 2,011
Oh yes, they sound fuller when amped IMO. I've tried it with both my portable and my desktop amp. They performed very well with both amps, and is totally comparable to some high end IEMs

Quote:
thanks! have you tried the RE0 well amped?

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #1,834 of 2,011
sorry i just catched up to the thread.. for those having problems with the left or right ear drivers dying on them, i had the same problem. Just wanted to confirm if the V4 is the ones your having problems with and if the V4 is the one with the casing in a very small clear hard plastic casing.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #1,835 of 2,011

Quote:
Oh yes, they sound fuller when amped IMO. I've tried it with both my portable and my desktop amp. They performed very well with both amps, and is totally comparable to some high end IEMs

The midrange remains kind of thin-sounding even with an amp.  People complain that HD25 and K701 sound thin; compared to RE0, they are as thick-sounding as Ultrasones and Grados, lol.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #1,836 of 2,011
The Re0s are just what they are. If you play a lot of bass heavy headphones then switch to the Re0s you may find them to be light on bass. I regularly switch from a pair of AH-D 7000s and notice a reserved bass. The mids make up for it. I have found that if I only use the Re0s for a while then I get used to them. Believe it or not after playing the Skull Candy Inked headphone IEMs for a day the Denon AH-D 7000s seemed bass light. It is all just about what you are used to and you can get used to almost anything!

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #1,837 of 2,011

Quote:

thank you very much. seems i'll just get the latest version (v4, should it be the default by ordering from head-direct?). even i also do like straight plugs more

and i'm surprised you remember  about the ok1 !!!
this is my official list of earphones: (although i have others, but arent worth to be listed)
AKG k312p
Sennheiser mx471
SM PL50
Yuin PK1 (still unamped)
(got the B2 + E11 last week, but already returned them)

i listen ONLY J-pop / rock , anison. 99% with vocals. a lot of megumi hayashibara, masami okui, hironobu kageyama , and some groups like JAM Project

as for the OK1, of course i'd like them !

Quote:
great! (but i guess i'll order them by then...
gs1000.gif
)

Did you order them yet?

Anyway I listened to some of your music on your request, do you just listen to anime music or something? That Masami Okui was pretty OK....

Here I listened to this song

That song has the "J-rock sound" to it, It sounds very good on the RE0 and these are pretty close to the E888 now as my favorite IEM for this kind of music. =)

I'm not sure, perhaps you'd prefer the Yuin OK1 though, since it seems like you only listen to vocals.

The RE0 is not a ck10, it can handle rock!!

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #1,838 of 2,011

Quote:

Did you order them yet? yes, couldnt wait! i wanted them for next week

Anyway I listened to some of your music on your request, do you just listen to anime music or something? That Masami Okui was pretty OK....

as i said 99%. but with no offence to other genres

Here I listened to this song
wild spice is better!
and megumi's front breaking, revolution, and plenty of grit, are just awsome! with the pk1 they make me dizzy!

That song has the "J-rock sound" to it, It sounds very good on the RE0 and these are pretty close to the E888 now as my favorite IEM for this kind of music. =)

I'm not sure, perhaps you'd prefer the Yuin OK1 though, since it seems like you only listen to vocals.
good vocals it's a must for me. but MUST be fun. not like the pl50...

The RE0 is not a ck10, it can handle rock!!
LOL. good thing i didnt get the ck10

and yeah, many thanks for the update!
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #1,839 of 2,011
I bought these based off recommendations here after my Apple Dual Driver IEMs went and I didn't like them very much. They're clear, but thin sounding and the bass doesn't extend much, though it has some impact. I sold these after receiving my Meelectronic A151 and SoundMagic E30, both are more musical IEMs to my ears with an overall more pleasing sound to me.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #1,843 of 2,011
Kanuka, you're welcome, and when are you receiving the RE0?

They're much better than the PL50.  The PL50 sounds like it's worth $50, the RE0 sounds like it's worth $200.

A good amp, yes, but what's a good amp?  Personally I'm just using a good DAP.

Have to admit, the RE0 really want some juice though.  I'm going to check the Yulong U100 synergy soon.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #1,844 of 2,011
I've amped my RE0 and tried them through multiple sources. They are thin sounding, they aren't very comfortable, the build quality is iffy (note that many people have had to use super glue on these because they came apart) and they have rather slow customer service, if you're answered at all. The bass is comparable to my Ad700, it has some impact but it definitely doesn't extend well. The mids were good, but they lacked a full body sound, especially in genres that have fast distorted guitars, post-hardcore for instance, they just didn't have the impact needed to make the songs sing. The highs were well extended, but they didn't sparkle for me. Everything sounded surgical as if I were viewing my music rather than feeling it. They're definitely not very musical IEMs.

I bought them 8 months ago, they came apart. I contacted customer support and waited 4 days for an e-mail in return. Another 3 days for the second one. I wound up just super glueing them as most others have and sold them used without the packaging for $20. I find the A151 are better all around and they're my new go to IEM.

In regards to amps, I ran them through a Head Room Total Bithead and a FiiO E7 and didn't find any noticeable improvements, especially when the comfort was poor as was the microphonics. Either way, no budget IEM should require a portable amp or DAC to sound good, as you're insinuating. Once you add in portable amps the whole idea of portable goes out of the window, unless you wear baggier clothes.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #1,845 of 2,011
Have no idea what you're on about.

You want a surgical IEM, try the Etymotic ER-4, that a syringe of 1's and 0's into your ear canal.

You must be used to really thick and warm HP's or something.

I'm not insinuating you need a portable amp for the RE0, at all, I've never bought a portable amp in my life and I just tried a $679 USD portable amp the other day and it was 'weak'.

I'm not insinuating it's a budget IEM either, I said it's a $200 IEM, with a $79 pricetag.

If you're still annoyed about the negative customer service your received, and the flavour of the RE0 wasn't for you, go send a hate-mail to Fang and get over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back