[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Apr 20, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #1,471 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by spsam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in picking up a pair, but the build quality concerns me. Has anyone else had a pair go bad? If so, how long have you had them? I'm pretty careful with my stuff, but there's only so much I can account for.

IMO the cables are decently built and the earpieces are rock solid. I put mine through light abuse (i.e. pockets) with no harm.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #1,472 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by spsam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in picking up a pair, but the build quality concerns me. Has anyone else had a pair go bad? If so, how long have you had them? I'm pretty careful with my stuff, but there's only so much I can account for.

Over 4 months no problem with moderate use. Just take care of the cable and don't bang them around...

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #1,473 of 2,011
Has anyone tried adding foam or something inside the flanges to improve the isolation ? I've been thinking about doing so, I'm kinda on a search for some tutorials or guides as I recall someone doing it (not sticking foam inside the main "tube" but between that tube and the flanges, as to improve the sealing
redface.gif
)

EDIT: I also remembering seeing stoppers used instead of the flanges (a circular hole inside the stopper for the earphone..)

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #1,474 of 2,011
Why don't you try it? It can't hurt the sound, I think - perhaps kill the bass to some small extent by reducing a little of the reverberation... but then you may get an even better seal with the stuffing and a pinch more isolation for sure.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #1,476 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long are they going to be 79 bucks for? Is that a limited time deal?

Forever? I doubt they'll go back up, they're selling pretty well where they are I think.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #1,477 of 2,011
The price is not likely to go up again, but it is also not likely to go down any time soon either.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #1,479 of 2,011
Works straight out of my ipod classic, which stinks at driving anything. It gets loud enough at about a little less than half volume (I imagine it wouldn't be much different with the nano), so you could certainly do without an amp.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #1,480 of 2,011
I just received the RE0 this morning and tried with my Foobar / Lenovo X61 -> Fanmusic MK2 (same as Little Dot MK1+ standard)

With the standard bi-flange tips, I immediately found the reverberation I needed for string instruments. Piano sounds much more natural than the TF10 which I sold a few days ago. It looks like I am more of a dynamic driver guy. The reverberation of BA IEM just decays too quickly for my taste

It is still too early to compare instrument seperation and soundstage to the TF10 before enough burn-in.

Build quality is in "above average" level. The housing is fully made of aluminum and seems durable. The cables look/touch/bend exactly like the cables of my Creative EP-830's. Which is kind of cheap feeling but should be durable enough.

The anodization on the housing is a bit on the thin side as well.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #1,481 of 2,011
hi, i just received the re0, the cable is a really rubbery, grippy (tennis racket rubber grippy feel) feeling, is that how its supposed to be? dont really like that kind of cable but oh well.

I have one question though, the ring that slides above the y-split section seems SUPER TIGHT....i can't seem to slide it unless i push really hard due to the ring being small and the cable texture being rubbery....is everyone's the same? I might as well just push it all the way down to the y-split and leave it there?

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #1,482 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by bballtime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, i just received the re0, the cable is a really rubbery, grippy (tennis racket rubber grippy feel) feeling, is that how its supposed to be? dont really like that kind of cable but oh well.

I have one question though, the ring that slides above the y-split section seems SUPER TIGHT....i can't seem to slide it unless i push really hard due to the ring being small and the cable texture being rubbery....is everyone's the same? I might as well just push it all the way down to the y-split and leave it there?

Yeah, the newest revision of the cable is rubbery and grippy. I don't really have a problem with it.

The cord cinch is also very tight on the IEM cable. You have to take it slow and easy if you're using it to cinch the cable. The benefit is that it stays in place no matter what, the tradeoff is that it's hard to readjust if you don't have it fit right. Personally, I rarely use cord cinches so the grippiness of the cord cinch on the RE0s has never been a problem.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #1,483 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by bballtime /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's the way mine were...very tight ring. But it does move. I tried cinching it up a bit higher and then just put it back down again. That didn't seem to have any deleterious effects.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #1,484 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by CEE TEE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the way mine were...very tight ring. But it does move. I tried cinching it up a bit higher and then just put it back down again. That didn't seem to have any deleterious effects.

Ah i see....think i'll probably just have it 3 inches up from the Y-splitter and leave it there =)

If i use the re0's for jogging will there be any harm....not sure about the build quality and durability of them......although there will be microphonics of footsteps and the cable flapping around =/

Should i just use my old ****ty stock earbuds for jogging or anyone have any suggestions? Earbuds better than IEMs for jogging? if so are YUIN earbuds good?

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #1,485 of 2,011
For jogging with the RE0, you definitely need to wear it cable up. With the bi-flange tips they are pretty snug fit and should stay put when jogging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back