[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Apr 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #1,501 of 2,011
x2 Bass gets better 50 to 100 hrs.

I just did the foam removal mod, i found it way too sibilant.
However i did noticed the foam was pushed right up to and compacted at the driver so i did the "foam away from the driver mod" where the foam is at the front of the nozzle allowing more air to push from the driver before reaching the foam.
I think the soundstage sounds a bit wider now (maybe because the foam is less compacted now).
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #1,502 of 2,011
The bass improves a bit more after those first hundred. Some several hundred hours later, lol.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #1,503 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really confused... why do people say these lack bass? Without an amp or burn in, they seem to have just as much bass as my old superfi 5 pros, which were recommended to me years ago because of their bass.

I can only imagine what so called "bass heavy" IEMs like the Panasonic sound like...

Well I was just comparing to my meelectronics IEMs. Obviously the RE0 is better than the M9 but the M9 is bass heavier.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #1,505 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really confused... why do people say these lack bass? Without an amp or burn in, they seem to have just as much bass as my old superfi 5 pros, which were recommended to me years ago because of their bass.

I can only imagine what so called "bass heavy" IEMs like the Panasonic sound like...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because people always expect more bass from a dynamic IEM and more detail / resolution from armature IEM, which of course are not always the case.

x2, I'm with ClieOS on this one. The RE0 rather compares to armature IEMs regarding bass impact and detail / resolution, even though it's dynamic driver based.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spud of Doom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still unsure about RE0 vs Fischer Eterna. I'm leaning towards the Eternas but some comments here and in this thread here make it seem that the RE0 is just as feasible as the Eterna for rock/metal, particularly if I amp them.

Quoting myself from a different thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a subject for ongoing debate here on head-fi, flat frequency response versus what I call "lifelike frequency response". There are valid arguments for both and in the end it comes down to personal preference. I have both kinds of IEMs and catch myself preferring those with lifelike bass (feeling the air pressure of drums, the vibration of bass strings) more often, because they recreate the illusion of a live performance more convincingly for me.

Bottom line: No IEMs can give you bass like large speakers, but if you've ever experienced the kick drum in a rock concert or kettledrums (timpani) in classical you should know what I mean. Of course we all have different expectations when listening to our IEMs and many audiophiles prefer to hear every nuance in mids and treble with the bass taking a back seat.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #1,506 of 2,011
With a bassy amp, most likely.
I know my Minibox-E+ is a terrific complement to the RE0s.
atsmile.gif

They can go ampless, too.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #1,508 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramennn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't been on here in awhile, I still have these and love them, but I'm just curious as to where they rank overall for their price. Are they still one of the best deals around this price range?

Based purely on what I've heard (and admittedly, that's not much), they are the best value in portable audio. I don't think there's a single IEM out there that can match the RE0s on a price to SQ ratio.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #1,509 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame21x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based purely on what I've heard (and admittedly, that's not much), they are the best value in portable audio. I don't think there's a single IEM out there that can match the RE0s on a price to SQ ratio.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for your input.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #1,510 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame21x /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree. But they are not just a great value IMO - they are great phones regardless of price. They are hi-fi level and can compete with high-end IEMs and full sized cans costing many times more.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #1,511 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree. But they are not just a great value IMO - they are great phones regardless of price. They are hi-fi level and can compete with high-end IEMs and full sized cans costing many times more.

true

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #1,513 of 2,011
From time to time, when plugged into my computer and i think my mp3 player too, i hear a slight fuzz/static, when there is no music playing, is this just some electrical interference?

It shouldn't be due to the re0's since i only got them for a week =/

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #1,515 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by bballtime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From time to time, when plugged into my computer and i think my mp3 player too, i hear a slight fuzz/static, when there is no music playing, is this just some electrical interference?

It shouldn't be due to the re0's since i only got them for a week =/

It's just static. I remember on a especially dry day I actually had the RE0 SHOCK my right ear twice while walking. Boy I was awake afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back