[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Apr 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #1,516 of 2,011
LOL

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #1,517 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried adding foam or something inside the flanges to improve the isolation ? I've been thinking about doing so, I'm kinda on a search for some tutorials or guides as I recall someone doing it (not sticking foam inside the main "tube" but between that tube and the flanges, as to improve the sealing
redface.gif
)

EDIT: I also remembering seeing stoppers used instead of the flanges (a circular hole inside the stopper for the earphone..)

in that case try the sony hybrid ($10 in my local sony store) they provide superb isolation and comfortableness
o2smile.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #1,518 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just static. I remember on a especially dry day I actually had the RE0 SHOCK my right ear twice while walking. Boy I was awake afterwards

Man, the first time I had that happen was when I was taking off a wool coat on a dry winter day. Boy did I remember to take my earbuds out after that!
beyersmile.png

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #1,519 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be that your clothes are static-electrically charged? I've often have IEMs crackle when I wear a jacket made from synthetic fiber or such.

Hm i wear 100% cotton clothing, that must be the source rite

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #1,520 of 2,011
I also get occasional crackling in my RE0s, and I'm starting to wonder if it's the headphones themselves... I have plenty of other higher end headphones that I've used on the same source and equipment, so I'm pretty sure that its not them. Does this mean that theyre damaged, or are they just not shielded well? I've only had them for a week...

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #1,521 of 2,011
Recently got those and I love their sound so far. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are aren't too good comfort wise. Those little notches on the buds seem to irritate my ears after a while.

May 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #1,522 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently got those and I love their sound so far. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are aren't too good comfort wise. Those little notches on the buds seem to irritate my ears after a while.

Try changing the tips. Some tips had the metal part annoying my ear and others didn't.
Right now I'm using the smaller bi-flanges.

By the way, after more hours of listening, the bass really opened up on these. I didn't think such a big diff was possible in an IEM.

May 11, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #1,523 of 2,011
Has anybody found that the RE0 had degraded performance with the newer version? They've undergone many changes and price reductions, and I want a pair but don't want to order a pair if they're not what I've read about.

May 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #1,524 of 2,011
Hmmm...  Have you had the chance to compare a new pair (less than 3 months old) with a year-old pair?  I bought mine back more than a year ago, when they first dropped to $99 and had the fabric cable cover -- still sound fantastic after a year.

May 11, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #1,525 of 2,011
Hi guys, I just got my RE0 today. 
I plugged it straight away in my laptop to test it. But before I could play any song, I noticed that the noise is so apparent there is no way I could say it is negligible.

I tried to play some slow music from "5 Centimeters per second" soundtrack. When the music slows down (low tone), I can hear the noise still "creek-ing" around .. which is extremely annoying.
The earphone did a good job isolating noise from outside (friends chatting etc), but the microphonics is driving me crazy.

Did you guys experienced the same thing or is it just me?

Just into 1 hour of burning now ... so far so good. Sounds better than my Koss KSC75.
And does burning in reduce the noise level?

May 11, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #1,526 of 2,011
I just got my RE0 a few days ago. No creaking sound, could it just be part of the bad sound in the song? Yes the microphonics aren't that great though.

May 12, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #1,527 of 2,011

Quote:
I plugged it straight away in my laptop to test it. But before I could play any song, I noticed that the noise is so apparent there is no way I could say it is negligible.

The noise is probably your sound processing hardware on your laptop.  The HP jack on my desktop at work is very noisy -- my daughter's HP is quiet -- just depends on the on-board sound hardware.  And the RE0 has a way of making poor stuff sound really bad.

Try using the RE0 on some other source -- CD / MP3 player, etc.

May 12, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #1,528 of 2,011

Quote:
The noise is probably your sound processing hardware on your laptop.  The HP jack on my desktop at work is very noisy -- my daughter's HP is quiet -- just depends on the on-board sound hardware.  And the RE0 has a way of making poor stuff sound really bad.

Try using the RE0 on some other source -- CD / MP3 player, etc.

Do you have any idea why the sound processing hardware would produce noise in my laptop?

Any idea how to remove the noise ?
darthsmile.gif

BTW, I will give it a try with other machines and report back =D

May 12, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #1,529 of 2,011
I recently lost a small bi-flange tip and i'm thinking about grabbing a replacement kit from head-direct for $15. There isn't really any other comfortable pair of tips for me in the set with the RE0's i got, so should i go ahead and just purchase the $15 kit from head-direct or should i try out another set of tips (thinking about grabbing sony hybrids). Open to suggestions for tips!

May 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #1,530 of 2,011

Quote:

I tried to play some slow music from "5 Centimeters per second" soundtrack. When the music slows down (low tone), I can hear the noise still "creek-ing" around .. which is extremely annoying.
The earphone did a good job isolating noise from outside (friends chatting etc), but the microphonics is driving me crazy.

Just into 1 hour of burning now ... so far so good. Sounds better than my Koss KSC75.
And does burning in reduce the noise level?

First off, try disabling all microphones (muting them is sufficient). In fact, mute everything except for your primary sound. See if that helps!

Secondly, try using a different source. If it doesn't show up elsewhere, then your laptop's audio hardware is like all other integrated audio hardware, just plain terrible.

One sound system impressed me so far, and that was the sound on the Dell Zino HD. The quality and performance was bad, but it actually outputs line out out the back. I was pretty impressed by that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back