[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #1,486 of 2,011
I'm a newbie, so take this for what it's worth...

I was so happy with MS-1i's that I decided to put together a set of headphones, trying for value/pricepoint in each category.

I picked up the RE0's because of all the great feedback. I do not yet have an amp because I am waiting for iBasso D4. I found the RE0's not all that comfortable, but haven't compared with many others. I may just not be an iem guy but I'm going to keep trying. I am very interested in these new Fischer Audio DB-2's coming out. But after getting the PK1 and PK3, I love the PK1 and find Bass lacking for my taste with the RE0's. I did enjoy the RE0's with House music and the Fii0 E5 because of clarity but the comfort, bass, soundstage and thicker wires/build of the PK1 (even though they are plastic) to be my cup of tea. Also, I might have been too hard on the RE0 cables whilst moving around because I developed a bad connection on the input jack for the left channel. That seems to be just my experience. I sold the PK3's to someone at work because the PK1 are worth that extra money to me and I am sending the RE0's back because of the issue and my personal preferences. I do like the clarity of the RE0's and they emphasize the higher frequencies enough to make me think the PK1's are almost too bassy, but going back and forth between them all and I am so happy with MS-1i, PK1, can't wait for more burn-in with PK1 and a real AMP!!! Haven't heard PK2 but might recommend this at the pricepoint instead of RE0 if you will be running because the PK line seems better suited for exercising in (to me).

I am interested in finding out what I don't know and seeig what other more seasoned people think about this post. I am just starting and trying to get one of each type of phone in the $100-$150 range to go with a future $219 amp.

I think that is how this whole thing starts...

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #1,488 of 2,011
Now have burnt in for 6 hours @ 75% listening volume. Less bass impact than the 1st minute I plugged in. Vocals also become more recessed but with a lot more details.

The details of string instruments are amazing. I can actually listen to the SO NATURAL string settling sound of each note. It was not possible with the TF10 I previously own!

Is it the BEST IEM for string instruments or not?

Listening while burning in is fun! I hope the bass would improve again.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #1,490 of 2,011
did a little mod on my re0. i replaced the re0 filters with the ones that came with the re2. the re2 filters are more mesh-like and thinner. the midrange now resembles a lot like the re2 which i like a lot. treble also seems a tad more prominent. the bass sounds deeper but seems less controled now. overall the sound is more open and less congested now. this mod might appeal to people who find the foam removal mod to sound too bright.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #1,491 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone have a solution for replacement earwax filters? I emailed about them and got a $15 for the filters and $15 for shipping. Are you kiddung me? $30 for 12 tiny circles?????

Why don't you touch the filters with a paper towel when they are drenched in wax? There's really no need to be replacing the filters constantly, I think. The included spares are probably for careless people who accidentally rip theirs.
tongue_smile.gif

I used one of the spare pairs to re-filter one of my other earphones with excellent results.
atsmile.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #1,492 of 2,011
Wow... just got mine today after vacillating for months on how to replace my SF5Ps. I'm pretty floored. Out of the box I think they sound pretty great. I definitely was not expecting this... for some reason I was expecting them to sound cold and bassless... kind of like the ER6i

Btw, using UE SF5P rubber tips. They fit perfectly, are so much easier to get on than the supplied tips, and are more comfortable to boot. The large biflanges that are supplied are pretty nice, too.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #1,493 of 2,011
Anybody who has tried these, could I get a comparison between these and the Fischer Eterna or possibly the Silver Bullet as well? I'm looking to buy in the next couple of weeks and will probably pick up a FiiO E5 some time in near future.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #1,494 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you touch the filters with a paper towel when they are drenched in wax? There's really no need to be replacing the filters constantly, I think. The included spares are probably for careless people who accidentally rip theirs.
tongue_smile.gif

I used one of the spare pairs to re-filter one of my other earphones with excellent results.
atsmile.gif

I was trying out the mods and didn't realize you could carefully take the filters off.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #1,495 of 2,011
Just got mine yesterday. Wow! Blown away.
I was listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela... amazing! Picking up on a lot more clearer (and more vibrant) detail than my other earphones.

I just wish there was some more bass. I knew before buying them that these weren't considered bass heavy, but still would be nice to have more. And there's still potential.
I'm not doing a dedicated burn-in. Just listening to it as it plays, and (though it could be psychological) I'm picking up on more bass than yesterday.

Now I'm having a hard time deciding on the tip. I think I've narrowed it down to the shorter bi-flange and the medium single flange...

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #1,496 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was trying out the mods and didn't realize you could carefully take the filters off.

Ah. See if HD will be willing to exchange the silicon biflanges in the $15 package with more filters instead. Then sell the extras if you want.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #1,497 of 2,011
I'm really confused... why do people say these lack bass? Without an amp or burn in, they seem to have just as much bass as my old superfi 5 pros, which were recommended to me years ago because of their bass.

I can only imagine what so called "bass heavy" IEMs like the Panasonic sound like...

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #1,499 of 2,011
Because people always expect more bass from a dynamic IEM and more detail / resolution from armature IEM, which of course are not always the case.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #1,500 of 2,011
The bass only gets better with burn-in.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back