[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Dec 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #61 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What frequencies are affected?

Mostly mid and treble. Mid is much more upfront after the mod and treble will increase. Bass on the other hand isn't affect by the mod as much.

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #62 of 2,011
Hmmm. I was hoping for some info regarding the exact frequencies. In my opinion the RE0 would need some boost at the lower-center midrange, especially 1kHz, not in the upper midrange. The boost I am considering would make vocals closer, add presence and some volume to them. 3dB would be fine, but I am guessing... a bit more would be pleasant too, but I wouldn't go over 4-5dB. After that point, there isn't much need for a boost.
Anyway, these are thoughts for anyone wanting to equalize them.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #63 of 2,011
I didn't pay attention to the actual freq. resp. when I did the mod and I already reversed it back to its original form (so I can keep it as future reference). You can try it out on one side of the earpieces if you like, but I am probably won't do it again on myself.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #64 of 2,011
Nah, thank you. I am not interested in it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #65 of 2,011
An Idea....

I don't know if it's been done already (haven't read entire thread) but why doesn't someone email Fang about the mod and maybe he and the team at Head-Direct (or whoever OEMs for them) can remove the foam for the next production patch and we will all be winners!

Us Head-fi'ers as we don't have to do the mod + instant SQ quality increase and Head-Direct since it lowers production costs for them!

I'm more than sure Fang appreciates feedback.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #68 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so the treble more works for the RE1 and RE0... how about the RE2s?

Not well actually. Overly bright, not recommended.

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #70 of 2,011
I owned them at different times, but I wouldn't like the combo. I am not a big fan of the iQube anyway, so your tastes might vary.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #71 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned them at different times, but I wouldn't like the combo. I am not a big fan of the iQube anyway, so your tastes might vary.

Thanks Tony. The iQube is a pretty picky amp after all.

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #73 of 2,011
@ClieOS

Having had both RE2 and RE0.. I find a difference in soundstage of both.
U had mentioned for RE2 that the open design.. allowed for a good soundstage.

Now RE0s have 2 small hole. One of them is closed.
What if there were 4-6 of them.. ?
Would this affect soundstage ?

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #74 of 2,011
The two holes on the back of RE0 really doesn't impact soundstage by much. As far as I can tell, RE0 is closed in design (unlike RE2 and RE1 which are semi-opened), putting more holes on the back probably will only change the whole sound signature and create sound leak.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #75 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
200 bucks? They better be good for a dynamic driver. I know, I know, IE8 and EX700 are quite ridiculously priced, but not many others come to mind...
wink.gif

^^ That's what I said November 21st 2008...
rolleyes.gif

Got the RE0 today, and right out of the box they sound really good. Seems they need some time to settle down, like most dynamic drivers, but so far they already sound like Atrio territory - but with better treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back