[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Mar 27, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #76 of 2,011
Listening is believing, dfkt
biggrin.gif

Better yet, it is lower in price now.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #77 of 2,011
They are one of the broader range dynamic drivers on the market if not the broadest. By this I mean frequency response covered by these, very high to very low, all inclusive. I have yet to hear another dynamic driver operate so. In this aspect, they are surprisingly good.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #78 of 2,011
Hello! I bought a pair of RE2 a month ago and I absolutely love them. Call me crazy but i even prefer them over my former Atrio and Denon C700, I can't believe it is just 39$.

But now I'm so curious and I would like to listen to the Top of the Head-Direct line. Should I? I mean, is the (130$) upgrade really worth it? The only thing I would complain about RE2 is that they are slighlty overbright for my taste. But I like the bass! (with transparent bi-flange) Not loud but definitely present, tight and well defined (can easily hear bass lines). Except for Hip-hop, I prefer this quality bass over Atrio's. But I am NOT a basshead, I like clarity and neutrality.

Oh I forgot about MICROPHONICS
triportsad.gif
Is RE0 cable that noisy ??

About efficiency, I set my Fuze @~6/10 for my RE2. Is it enough to drive the RE0 unamped ?

I understand soundstage is better on RE2. Everything else is better on RE0, right ?

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #79 of 2,011
If you like clarity and neutrality than RE0 is definitely one of the best choice out there.

Microphonics is normal, slightly better than RE2 since the RE0 cable is softer.

Fuze can drive RE0 unamped.

Yes, RE0 is better than RE2 except on soundstage - not that RE0 soundstage is bad, just that RE2's soundstage is too good.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #81 of 2,011
I have both the RE2 and RE0 in house. The RE0 is superior in every way to me. having read this, I will go back and review the soundstage. I never felt it was better on the re2, but I will go back and listen for this specifically.

RE0 is great unamped, and better amped. but then again, arnt all cans better when amped? so, to answer your question, YES, you can enjoy the re0 greatly unamped. I run it right out of my ipod touch.

Apr 5, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #82 of 2,011
Thank you guys.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like clarity and neutrality than RE0 is definitely one of the best choice out there.

Microphonics is normal, slightly better than RE2 since the RE0 cable is softer.

Fuze can drive RE0 unamped.

Yes, RE0 is better than RE2 except on soundstage - not that RE0 soundstage is bad, just that RE2's soundstage is too good.

jecklinsmile.gif
totally

Yes i think it is the best choice for me. I was considering ER-4P in the first place, then Phonak PFE, but after all the reviews I've read I guess I am going to get the RE0
smily_headphones1.gif

What I am looking for is a highly detailled IEM with great highs (not rolled-off like Atrio, not harsh/aggressive like Q-Jays), as neutral/transparent as possible, with a good soundstage (but not necessarily as good as RE2's ^^)
What I can't stand is sibilance (that's why I did not like my Denon C700. Plus, they have the poorest soundstage I have ever heard).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but so far they already sound like Atrio territory - but with better treble.

dfkt, what do you mean by that? I hope they do not sound like the Atrio, not that the Atrio sound bad, I quite liked them, but I'm not looking for that type of sound +better treble
confused_face_2.gif

I assume they sound more like PFE by reading the reviews. By the way, which one do you prefer so far?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the RE2 and RE0 in house. The RE0 is superior in every way to me.

Good to read, thank you
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #83 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... wonder how the RE2 cable is... coat hanger?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not really coat hanger type, but RE1's / RE2's cable has some elastic property in it which makes it more resistance to stress and bend but tend to transmit sound more easily.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #86 of 2,011
Just received mine today, and damn I'm so impressed with its sound straight out of the box.
In fact, I can't even imagine how the sound can get even better than now with burn-in
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #88 of 2,011
Mmm, after a weekend's use, I've ended up with RE0 with bad connection at the plug
frown.gif

I'm gonna send it back for replacement, and I hope Head-Direct have good customer support (which I'm sure they do)

In the meanwhile, I've gone back to using my beloved X10, but boy do these sound warm after RE0, almost to the point of being veiled!
It took quite a few songs to get adjusted back to the thumping base again
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back