REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Mar 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #976 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the email I got from them, no. It is responsible for no part of the amping at all. The solid state amping is done by discrete transistors.

From them:

The opamp might be used in the ground channel, as it uses a tube in the gain stage and transistors in the output stage. Changing the ground opamp in some amps still can affect the sound, like in the iBasso D2 Viper or Headstage Lyrix Pro Total (where the second opamp is ground and not a buffer). I have no idea how the opamp in the EF2 might affect the sound or not, because I haven't felt the need to change anything but the tubes. I would expect that if the opamp is a buffer, then changing it will have a bigger affect on the sound than what they said in their email.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #977 of 1,326
Is their any site/ thread with list of the best triode tubes and their particular sound signature ? Like we have a list of op-amps with their sound signature described .

Currently I have the stock tubes and the CV4010 Mullards . Ofcourse I prefer the Mullards more but I do want to try out other possible tubes as well without spending an arm or leg for it .

I have an extra pair of unused CV4010 ,anyone interested in exchanging them for some other tubes ??

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #978 of 1,326
I have been using the mullard for a few days now and they are not quite as bright as the stock or RCA 6AK5 tubes.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #979 of 1,326
I am only a newbie. A stupid question: can this work as a dac/amp combo? As a dac/amp combo, how does this compare to some other solid state dac/amp combo in the same price range (like Aune mk2 and Zero)? Any advice?

(p.s. I am in the market of dac/amp combo and was looking at Zero and Aune Mk2 and now this. Whatever I purchase is gonna be the only thing between my laptop and headphone, at least for now. )

Thanks

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #980 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by miyinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am only a newbie. A stupid question: can this work as a dac/amp combo? As a dac/amp combo, how does this compare to some other solid state dac/amp combo in the same price range (like Aune mk2 and Zero)? Any advice?

(p.s. I am in the market of dac/amp combo and was looking at Zero and Aune Mk2 and now this. Whatever I purchase is gonna be the only thing between my laptop and headphone, at least for now. )

Thanks

Yes it is a dac and an amp.

What headphones are you using or going to be using in the near future? This defines everything.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #982 of 1,326
Is it just me or does the D2000 go way better with the EF2 than the ESW10JPN does? Might be the Mullards needing more burn-in, but right now the D2000 sounds leaps and bounds better than the ESW10JPN. And the same definitely can't be said if I do the same test from my Cowon S9, without further amplification.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #983 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using the mullard for a few days now and they are not quite as bright as the stock or RCA 6AK5 tubes.

I have to agree with this (except I have Raytheon 6AK5W tubes).

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #984 of 1,326
Hey,

I'm new to tube amps, just got the EF2. So far i'm pretty happy with it. I have it hooked up to my Firewire 410 cause i think the DAC in my FW is a bit better than the one in EF2, and it drives my HD600. My question is, if I were to upgrade to different tubes, is there any special instructions I should follow or do I just pop those out and put in the new ones? Also how long do these tubes last generally? Any recommendations on replacement ones? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #985 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by UteroiD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

I'm new to tube amps, just got the EF2. So far i'm pretty happy with it. I have it hooked up to my Firewire 410 cause i think the DAC in my FW is a bit better than the one in EF2, and it drives my HD600. My question is, if I were to upgrade to different tubes, is there any special instructions I should follow or do I just pop those out and put in the new ones? Also how long do these tubes last generally? Any recommendations on replacement ones? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Find 2x NOS MULLARD CV4010 VALVE EF95 M8100 6AK5 5654 Tubes on eBay International Market, with worldwide deals on items in all your top categories

These have been recommended throughout the thread, and I bought them myself a few weeks back. Highly recommended! I must say that they've started to open up quite a bit just over the last 24 hours (I've had it going pretty much non-stop). They were nice already, but they're improving on a hourly basis! Regarding how to change them it's easy as pie, just pull the stock ones up gently, and then push the new ones down.

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #987 of 1,326
Opening up as opening up the soundstage even more, bigger sound. And improving on so many different levels, better separation of instruments, everything sounds clearer and better.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #988 of 1,326
Has anyone compared the EF2 to the Little Dot MKII+/III?

Actually if anyone can compare any other amp they have heard before to the EF2, that would be nice.

In other news, I have a hot audio DAC-Extasy in the mail, and I will do a comparison with the EF2's burr brown in the next few weeks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #990 of 1,326
I'm using my EF-2 with HD600's and i'm very happy with it. I still have the stock tubes, and only have been listening for about 3 weeks... but it drives them very well... i think EF2s tube sound compliments well 600s brightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back